Updates to list of Forum Boards

• Administrator

Today, I have made a few tweaks to the forum boards. These are summarised below:

New Roads & Transport forum board

Due to the high number of topics and debate created around issues like CPZs, LTNs, cycling, a new dedicated Roads & Transport board has been created.

These are important local issues so I absolutely do not want to suppress discussion of them, especially considering the recent developments. But it has got to the point where the majority of recent topics in the General ED forum are related to one of these subjects (I counted 13 out of 25 on the first page today about CPZs or cycling). Its great to see the forum become so active recently, but I felt other questions and issues outside of these subjects were quickly being buried towards the bottom of the page and didn't get the views and comments they deserve.

The new forum board will ensure they can be discussed together at length by the people who are interested, while not crowding out other East Dulwich related topics.

Tidy up of underutilised boards

To avoid the list of forum boards on the homepage becoming too long, I have removed the "Politics and Current Affairs" and "About This Forum" boards and moved all the topics in these to The Lounge. These were the two least viewed and used boards in the forum. You are welcome to use The Lounge to discuss general non-ED related political discussion and issues related to the forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is very much what your predecessor did when Covid became a topic de nos jours.

However - I hope that threads on e.g. vehicle related crime (theft from or of,  vandalistic damage to etc.) will continue on this board, and I also hope that you will allow announcements of unplanned travel disruption (roads closed because of incidents, stations shut, rail lines closed, buses on diversion) to occur here - this is I believe for many the first board viewed and such announcements are there as a public information benefit and not for the purpose of debate.

• Like 1

I think it's only fair that the new thread carries the names of those pro-LTN lobbyists that worked so hard to make this happen! 😉 Perhaps we can create a virtual plaque like the founder's names on the wall of the Picturehouse with a roll of honour!

It will be interesting to see how the various threads perform as that is probably a good indicator of how important these issues are in the local community. What was interesting was that many people who have been long-time members of the forum were starting to get involved in the discussion around CPZs so it wasn't just the usual pro-/anti-LTN suspects suggesting much of the content was news-worthy and of interest, which had been cited as a reason for some threads moving.

Edited by Rockets

I think this is a great idea, placing all the discussions regarding LTN's, CPZ's etc, i.e. "Roads and Transport" in one place, rather than being spread out  across multiple threads. I found trying to follow these all really difficult and time consuming, especially as some were turning into long whiny monologues. I also think that this may allow and encourage other local issues which may well be bubbling under the surface to be raised and discussed.  

Small changes can make a huge difference. And just to clarify, it was my suggestion, so you can direct all your anxed and vexatiousness to me.  

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 4