Blood tests to be appointment based from August 29th (changed from July)

• Bic Basher changed the title to Blood tests to be appointment based from July 24th

I had a blood test last week at TJC - no notices about appointments. Was seen and in and out within 15 mins. Longest I have ever waited is 45 mins.

GP requested blood tests are only done at TJC - they don not like doing them at Kings/

What's the problem?  I do a lot of my healthcare stuff on line.  TJ is really quick but last time I went for a blood test at Kings it was at least an hours wait and bedlam in the waiting room (and Covid was still around.....)

It seems to be an area-wide change: https://www.swiftqueue.co.uk/Synnovis.php?group=Syn_GP.

I'd rule out the possibility that it's not possible to use the dedicated kiosk they mention, or your smartphone, to make an appointment in five minutes time, before making any complaints.  And wait to see what replaces the current queue ticket system, which has worked very simply and efficiently whenever I've gone there.

Edited by ianr
  • Like 1

I agree with those who have posted in praise of the phlebotomy at TJ which is in contrast to the one at Kings. One time I had to have a blood test after an out-patients appointment, took a ticket and left the hospital to do another pressing errand for well over an hour. When I returned to Kings, my number had not yet come up.  So I wonder if some people seeking an appointment at Kings may be offered an appointment at TJ instead?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2023 at 03:06, OutOfFocus said:

Anyway 24th july is past. Any update.

My theory is the are trying to even out the number of staff across the day. (Read reduce).

The 309 webpage claims shorter queues. But it might also mean more awkward times (more time off work). Has anyone asked users what they want.

Aside. I was treated by Moorfields and had to make a specific trio to old street for a blood test. And noticed the analysis was at guys. 

• Bic Basher changed the title to Blood tests to be appointment based from August 29th (changed from July)
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, OutOfFocus said:

Have contacted the CCG. Assured someone is looking at it. Asked whether there has been an equality impact assessment.

Meanwhile thought the attached was amusing. Apart from saying Dulwich Hospital.IMG_20230823_093750.thumb.jpg.bf80efeb57f0789e01c97b56ce7fe73e.jpg

Went straight in , no queue 

I got ticket 101 last time I was there  🤣

I went for blood test on Friday 18th August at TJC, unusually I was 10th in the queue but was seen in under 15 minutes. I also went at lunch time (1ish) when less staff were on. Test results were sent to my GP on the Monday, who informed me Monday afternoon. That is a pretty good service. No notices re booking appointments display either in the room or in general area of the centre. KCH blood tests tend to derive from their OP departments and vary in waiting times - last time I went there following an OP appointment, waited around 20 - 30 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried to book a blood test.  I've registered and followed the link to book a test but can get no further than entering the name of Kings College Hospital. The support page is useless.  Any tips from someone who has been able to make a booking.

Just got it. There is a black 'button' on the right side of my screen that was hardly showing. The support page was unhelpful.  A great friend of mine who is elderly and has no computer or smartphone would be completely unable to get a booking. The old system was so easy. This is somebody making money from the NHS

According to the leaflet I got from GP with a blood test form, it says you can book on line or if you do not have either a computer or SMART phone, you are still able to turn up in person. I will just turn up- I have many commitments both personal and medical that to juggle another appointment will do my head in. Also as a carer I never know what the day brings especially as my cared for person is due to have an operation which means I will be more tired to the house for 6 weeks post operation.

• Like 1

I had a blood test at TJC yesterday, where the new system is indeed in operation. Since no-one had been told about the new system, no-one had an appointment and the young lady who had the unenviable job of dealing with this had to book everyone in for an appointment for ten minutes after they arrived. The young lady thought that the reason for the change was to try to get more people to go to TJC and take pressure off King's. One of my fellow patients was blind, and another was very elderly - neither of them will be able to book on line. So I'm not sure who this helps.

FWIW the on line system appears to be working now.

• Like 1