Cyclists taking over paths!!

Newmum2019

And 70 PCNs for red light jumping cyclists at that one junction would suggest the article is not biased but that the police are trying to tackle anti-social behaviour at that junctiom much of which is red light jumping cyclists....surely Malumbu it is good that the police are taking steps to ensure the rules of the road are obeyed by everyone and that they are issuing fines for cyclists too?

Edited by Rockets

It was tackling anti social behaviour amongst all road users.  Cars were impounded, drivers were arrested and there were more tickets issued to none pushbike users.  Standard and others are playing into this drivers Vs cyclists manufactured culture war nonsense.  If I had a penny for every time I said this then I'd have enough money for a milky way.....

70 fines issued to red light jumping cyclists Malumbu...thats good news they are enforcing the rules though isn't it because red light jumping cyclists are a danger to themselves and other road users? Aren't they?

I have being saying for a long time that this type of enforcement is the only thing likely to stop the persistent abusers of the rules and I hope something similar is done at junctions like Dulwich Library where red light jumping is a daily/hourly occurance.

Edited by Rockets

• 6 months later...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/cyclists-fined-city-police-london-bank-junction-b1152140.html

It looks like red-light jumping cyclists might become a nice revenue generation opportunity for councils...I wonder how long it is before Southwark catches-on to this missed opportunity!! 😉

I suspect being forced to sit in the cab of an HGV to see how little they can see is a humbling and sobering experience for red-light jumping cyclists and probably sends a very powerful message to them about the dangers of jumping lights.

I am sick to death of cyclists not stopping at pedestrian crossings, thinking they're just too important and in too much of a rush for the rules to apply to them (and I'm a cyclist, have been for 20 years). I see it every day. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cyclists as a whole are the most antisocial people in London.

Some of them are OK but the overwhelming majority couldn't give two hoots about obeying the highway code or showing any respect whatsoever to fellow citizens.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

What a sweeping statement and gross generalisation.  What do you base this on (a) a dislike of cyclists (b) your casual observations?

Rather than demonise a significant number of people consider how we can get on better together.  There is too much conflict in society egged on my nonsense alarmist articles in papers like the Standard.

• Like 1

I'm basing it on 20+ years cycling in London and seeing the absolute biggest rule-breakers being my fellow cyclists. I once stopped at a zebra crossing to let a man cross and a cyclist behind me called me a putain for stopping. 

I've even witnessed a grown man aggressively ringing his bell and swearing at a four year old child for not getting out of his way.... on a footpath.... in Burgess Park. 

I genuinely cannot remember the last time a cyclist stopped for me at a pedestrian crossing. 

They give the rest of us cyclists and bad name and turn the traffic against us. 

• Like 3

Cyclists certainly do have a bit of a perception problem at the moment and when I cycle I see a lot of examples of arrogance and ignorance that gives all cyclists a bad name - it does seem that many cyclists have caught the entitlement bug many drivers seem to have.

I agree with Head Nun. My experience is very similar and has been so for the 25 years I've lived in London.

They got a lot worse after the Tour de France came here though. And then the Olympics.

Saying cyclists are the most antisocial people in London isn't helpful.  Nor is the Standard referring to cyclists as lycra clad louts 

Yes we can have an adult conversation.  But emotive knee jerk nonsense is not going to achieve this and just plays into the hands of those wanting a manufactured culture war 

• Like 1

"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it must be a duck" comes to mind

Unfortunately, a large number of cyclists do exhibit selfish amd anti social behaviour which, regardless of how many good cyclists there are, is seen as the norm. 

It's a bit like one car driver jumping a red light and all car drivers getting tarred by the same brush.

Perception is the issue and if cyclists all obeyed the rules, everyone would be less anti them but unfortunately that isn't the case 🤔

That is clearly not true. I see car drivers breaking the law on an hourly basis - jumping red lights, speeding, not obeying the general rules. Plus they are operating considerably more dangerous machinery and should have a greater responsibility of care to other road uses. You can see who causes the most harm by the stats. 

IMG_2120.png

3 hours ago, heartblock said:

Edited by Hen123
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Hen123, despite the stats, it still doesn't mean cyclists are safe to ignore the rules. 

There's an old joke when a 95 year old granny with poor eyesight was asked if she had been involved in any accidents during her driving career, and she replies none but I've seen plenty in my rear view mirror 

I have seen so many near misses (both as a bus user, driver and pedestrian) where a cyclist has done something unexpected or illegal and fear the day that its not a near miss.

Long time cyclist and driver here, (but I cycle much more than drive).

Sadly I'm not sure we're ever going to get over this.  The pro- and anti- camps are so polarised that compromise and acceptance seems impossible; it feels like someone has to be the winner. I had a break in Berlin recently and the attitude seems so different.  There were loads and loads of cyclists (most non-electric as far as I could tell) but everyone adhered to the rules.  Motorists and cyclists always stopped at red lights.  Pedestrians only crossed at crossings and only when the green man light was lit.  There were cycle lanes, sometimes borrowed from the road, sometimes from the pavements but always used.  What's needed is a cultural shift in mindset.

Edited by ed_pete
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posh mummies and daddies with all the gear (gold helmets, trendy jackets, paniers fore and aft) love to brandish the kiddywinks they carry as a kind of carte blanche to cycle on footpaths, even when they’re right next to a cycle lane and/or a LTN. Resist! (Lycra-clad “professionals”, though, are often courteous and law-abiding, stopping at zebras and knowing their place is on the road and not the pavement.)  

The whole defence of "this isn't an issue because drivers cause more harm" is just blinkered nonsense.

There is clearly a problem which is why the police are doing what they are in the City and issuing PCNs for offenders - 1,000 is a hell of a number (and another 9,000 being spoken to) if these are being issued by officers standing at junctions - I would love to know how they are doing it do they watch them jump red lights and wave them down further down the road? I did see a cyclist once ride up from Monument onto the pavement and across the lights in front of a police motorcyclist who just shook his head as the bike rode in front of him with the pedestrians crossing and then, once the lights went green, zoomed off to pull the cyclist over. I mean that is just daft by the cyclist!

Hopefully the message will start getting across that everyone is supposed to obey the rules of the road.

Edited by Rockets