Tree lopping: an update

There are 'substantial tree works' (i.e. Southwark once again trying to eradicate nature and the signs of nature - best to cut down horse chestnuts once they have flowered so the nasty conkers can't develop and plague our children in autumn) - if you haven't moved your car then expect it to be damaged or towed.

Of course, the notices only went up very recently, so anyone legally parked (initially) and away, e.g. on holiday, is stuffed.

The chainsaws are out today and I have written to complain to the ED Councillor about this timing. Fledgeling birds are at a critical point in their lives, and need the Camberwell Old Cemetery woodland to remain safe for at least another 6 weeks. Whereas humans have had all winter long to mess around with mega noisy machines and felling on this site.

flOwer - completely agree with your concerns, so am posting in support, but also to suggest you contact Renata Hamvas, as Camberwell Old Cemetery is in Peckham Rye Ward and she is the most active councillor in that ward. If you want to go and see her at one of her surgeries, I'm willing to go with you.

Dear all is it the avenue of poplars? See email below or other trees (horse chestnuts are mentioned above). The poplars are being removed due to disease/safety reasons. I had a surgery at ED Community Centre on Saturday, the next Peckham Rye one isn't until 27th June, so please pm me or email me about this,

Renata

Dear Councillors Edwards, Hamvas and Mills.

I am writing to advise you of necessary works to an avenue of poplars in Camberwell New Cemetery.

The Poplar trees in question have been surveyed by an external consultant as part of the strategy target for surveying all of our parks trees. Unfortunately the poplar trees in question were found to be in a poor condition that represented a high risk to the users of the cemetery and the park.

The decision to remove these trees was not taken lightly and we fully appreciate the impact such a large number of trees can have when they are felled all together. The issues here are that a large number of the lower trunks are decayed. This means that there is little or no internal wood to support the weight of the tree canopies. The wood would have been decayed by a fungal pathogen leaving it in a pulpy condition over a number of years.

The reason for removing all of the trees is due to fact that once we start to remove the heavily decayed ones we expose the others to wind loading that they would not have been used to and their rooting systems will not be as wind firm. This means they are highly susceptible to wind throw and could fail at any point.

It is very difficult to quantify how long a decayed tree or a tree susceptible to wind throw could stand for and unfortunately because of that reason we are not in a position to retain them.

The altered state of the wood due to the fungi means that there is no treatment available to reverse the process of wood decaying fungi.

Because we recognise the impact this will have, we have already identified a planting scheme to replace these trees. This will consist of native mixed species to reduce the future risk of pathogen attack by having a mono culture avenue.

We intend to under plant with woodland flora to create an additional interest.

I would like to stress that this decision is one that is taken with regret.

Kind regards.

Renata, this thread relates to the drastic pruning of trees on the Underhill Road perimeter of the cemetery. They are mostly lime trees and they have been left stripped of all branches. This raises various issues, such as why this work was necessary, why it has been carried out during the bird nesting season, why the trees have been so harshly pruned and why local residents are completely left out of such decision making. As you requested an email or pm, I have also emailed you.

During this recent week I have been observing birds as they fledge from the cemetery's woodland area. In the middle of the city we are so fortunate to have all sorts there.

It's been difficult to predict their timing this year, because of the long winter, but these little flocks of small garden birds are making a success of breeding and they deserve all human efforts to help. Viewers of Springwatch will know already they face many natural hazards during their nesting season, such as predation e.g. from rodents and corvids.

The chainsaws and other petrol driven machines are totally avoidable and the Council gets close to breaking wildlife protection laws if it fails to recognise that.

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/ = easy to follow, pictorial information Renata, this is about the best way to get to grips with the topic I think.

The last 5 decades has wrought the greatest damage, through over-use of clumsy machines and sprays, but also by humankind bungling the timing of interventions. Alongside this decline, there has been a steady reduction in general knowledge of natural history for each generation - as a school topic or as something your grandparents would teach you.

The loss overall to insect and birdlife is estimated at 75 - 90% and because we have a shared duty to prevent it getting any worse I trust you will share this informative link with as many colleagues as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear all is it the avenue of poplars? See email

> below or other trees (horse chestnuts are

> mentioned above). The poplars are being removed

> due to disease/safety reasons. I had a surgery at

> ED Community Centre on Saturday, the next Peckham

> Rye one isn't until 27th June, so please pm me or

> email me about this,

> Renata

>

> Dear Councillors Edwards, Hamvas and Mills.

> I am writing to advise you of necessary works to

> an avenue of poplars in Camberwell New Cemetery.

> The Poplar trees in question have been surveyed by

> an external consultant as part of the strategy

> target for surveying all of our parks trees.

> Unfortunately the poplar trees in question were

> found to be in a poor condition that represented a

> high risk to the users of the cemetery and the

> park.

>

> The decision to remove these trees was not taken

> lightly and we fully appreciate the impact such a

> large number of trees can have when they are

> felled all together. The issues here are that a

> large number of the lower trunks are decayed. This

> means that there is little or no internal wood to

> support the weight of the tree canopies. The wood

> would have been decayed by a fungal pathogen

> leaving it in a pulpy condition over a number of

> years.

>

> The reason for removing all of the trees is due to

> fact that once we start to remove the heavily

> decayed ones we expose the others to wind loading

> that they would not have been used to and their

> rooting systems will not be as wind firm. This

> means they are highly susceptible to wind throw

> and could fail at any point.

>

> It is very difficult to quantify how long a

> decayed tree or a tree susceptible to wind throw

> could stand for and unfortunately because of that

> reason we are not in a position to retain them.

>

> The altered state of the wood due to the fungi

> means that there is no treatment available to

> reverse the process of wood decaying fungi.

>

> Because we recognise the impact this will have, we

> have already identified a planting scheme to

> replace these trees. This will consist of native

> mixed species to reduce the future risk of

> pathogen attack by having a mono culture avenue.

>

> We intend to under plant with woodland flora to

> create an additional interest.

>

> I would like to stress that this decision is one

> that is taken with regret.

> Kind regards.

- - - - - - - - -

That 'answer' leaves (no pun intended), a lot of queries:

If the trees can't support the weight of the 'canopy', their poplars don't forget, how did the trees manage to support the weight of a butcher wielding a chainsaw?

What is the name of the fungus?

Just because some trees are removed nearby what evidence is there that says other trees now won't be able to withstand new wind loading?

If the un-named fungus is so deadly and rife, one would presume that all remnants of the trees have been removed and not left to decay on the ground?

and while all this dawdles along, the noisy chainsaws and strimmers continue ripping the heart out of the understorey to this wild woodland,

just at the worst possible moment in the seasons from the wildlife's viewpoint.

Make it pause at the very least, please just use your clout until there's been a better consultation.

I have just PM'd Renata, because I think she and anyone else concerned in an official way should see for themselves what is actually being done, on the ground.

Nearby, many people are horrified. There is NO good reason to be doing maintenance in this destructive manner, at this time of year.

Hi Flower, I

spoke to Council officers yesterday. On Underhill Rd, two maples were undergoing crown reduction for structural reasons and a leaning tree on St Aidan's Rd was being removed on safety grounds (could topple over). The other pruning was general tree maintenance.

Renata