How good is the cafe on the Rye?

I love this cafe but there is the most hysterically funny furious German (?) server in there who quide liderally rolled his eyes at our fairly modest order of coffee and cake last weekend, and barked at us for more detail ('small? Large? What?') like a fey, child Basil Fawlty. Spectacular.

That's Jacks cafe that you've been given directions to. The cafe on the rye is just up from the main entrance to Peckham Rye Park - walk up the path opposite the end of Barry Road (where the Clockhouse Pub is) and you can't miss it.

Bottom line is that the caf? on the Rye really is top notch, one of the best things to have happened to the area in recent times. (Especially when compared to the Dulwich cafe and the snooty attitude found in there sometimes.)

Yeah, we've got kids but we've only found calm in there from the staff even when it's full to the brim. The staff are all* brilliant, the food's tasty and decently priced and the view's great.

* The one exception is "the most hysterically funny furious German server" who is so grumpy it's funny. (Is he definitely German? Thought he could be Italian maybe"? The guy can't be older than his late 20s yet he huffs and tuts like a crotchety old aunt. Thing is, he stands out a mile when compared with the others.

Mmmm, this Saturday (yep that's two in a row I've been there - watch this waist!) they stopped serving toast with the breakfasts - all we got was bread - we questioned and got a terribly long explaination (from the woman who runs the kitchen) that they have not been given enough electricity supply to run the toaster alongside their fridges.

Seems to me as though they managed toast until a few months back....has wattage in toasters increased overnight?

But I dont understand the baby bedlam moaning ... it's a caf?, in a park ....it is the most natural place in the world for kids to be. And actually, on the whole they are mostly well behaved...

had a top notch rye fry with toast and wifi just today. my weeks treat.a fab morning sitting there thinking how picturesque the park seems to look from the cafe these days. It is I with my soya latte that holds up the queue sometimes. Seems to take longer than a normal latte. Worth the wait.

Went again yesterday after the debacle with my non-sandwich. The soya cappuccino was so foul I gave it back and got a tea instead. They should at least use a decent brand of soya milk like Alpro. I had a peek at the cheapo brand they use which curdles in hot drinks. The people serving and taking payment behind the counter are really quite frazzled and unfriendly in my opinion.

I think Bellenden Belle sums up the kids issue pretty well...it's a cafe, in a park ? next to a playground and a nursery I think ? what did you expect? I've always found service to be on the bearable side of slowish. Not been for a while though; must go and check out the non-Euro specific server. He sounds hilarious.

Complaining about the cheapo brand of soya milk is about the most East Dulwich statement I've heard in ages.

I also second Bellenden Belle on the kids/bedlam issue.

Of all places, a park cafe is where you want and expect to see mums and children. You want those toddlers to grow up enjoying and respecting the park and what better way to get the good associations in early.

I would only make a plea for an awning so that those of us who have to be outside can enjoy our coffee when the weather is not so balmy or sunny.

i think soya milk is a pain in ass for them to make. have to steam it slow so it doesnt mush up. i agree they could use a dif brand. quite like the 'so good' one meself. sainsburys only place ive seen it.