Selective licensing for rentals extended

Selective licensing has been extended in Southwark ( it already exists in most of East Dulwich)

From 1 November 2023, you will need to apply for a licence if you let your property privately, it is not an HMO and it is in one of the following wards:

North Walworth
Nunhead & Queens Road
Old Kent Road
Peckham
Camberwell Green
Chaucer
Dulwich Hill
Dulwich Wood
London Bridge & West Bermondsey
Peckham Rye
Rotherhithe
Rye Lane
South Bermondsey
Surrey Docks

Great timing for landlords! 😁

• Thanks 1

Landlord has to pay £600 or so for a 3 year license to rent and submit a load of docs: plans, EPC, fire report etc

In theory, the fee goes towards employing more inspectors, in practice I susepect it just pays for the admin of the scheme. There will still be rogue landlords, and the compliant landlords will raise rent to cover the costs

In the 60s criminals tried to make perfect printing plates to print money.

Now all they need to so is work for a council and come up with even more schemes with fees, CPZS, Selective Licencing, brown bin fee... the list goes on.

Whilst all good intentions, the cost to the public is growing daily as none of the taxes by other names schemes are cheap.

Edited by Spartacus

I'd be interested to know where the money is going.  I've checked salaries and Southwark, as with most of the public sector, pay considerably lower than the private sector for comparable jobs (spare a thought for the voluntary/third sector where pay is even lower).  The good news is that most in the public (and third) sector are dedicated to improving life for the masses.  Now of course you may not agree with the way they do it, but hey ho that is life.  They are also accountable through a number of means if you are unhappy from a simple complaint all the way up to the Audit Committee. I sense that most of you who are a bit mithered don't know any public servants, perhaps there should be some befriending schemes.

As for licensing, in a parallel universe I was a small scumlord.  Sorry landlord.  And saw the introduction of gas and electricity safety certificates, minimum room sizes, fire safety and the like.  I wouldn't like to go back to a time of tenants dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.

This was the tail end of rent controls which Thatch got rid of which may have  been the start of the buy to let explosion.  It would be great to see such controls reinstated.

The scheme does appear a little pricey but there again my return was relatively tiny compared to today's rents.

Edited by malumbu

What will happen here is that Landlords won't swallow the cost and whilst it's around £20 a month over three years, you can bet your left arm that the landlords will add on £50 a month to rents. Doesn't seem much but add that to the additions they are already adding to cover higher interest rates (and they are even higher if its a buy to let mortgage compared to domestic mortgage rates) then I fully expect rents to be increased to a point where only Mr and Mrs Sunak can afford them... 

Whilst a fair inspection and registration scheme is a good thing, the cost has to be sympathetic to the problems it will cause.

It's a different business model to when I was a small scumlord - buy cheap, let out cheap, a nice earner on the side (done through the books) and most of us would absorb regulatory fees, changes in interest rates and the like.  When licensing came in we'd be hit by bills for improving windows, adding fire doors, mains smoke alarms and the like, but as these were improvements wouldn't bang the rent up as we were investing in the property.

Different world driven by the relative ease of borrowing, at low rates, with guaranteed profit on selling up.  Some got burned from investing in parts of the country where supply was greater than demand.  Certainly not London.  I've disliked most of the landlords family have dealt with but do come across the odd one who was more like me and easy going.

A whole to thread on the lounge about affordability in the rental market.  

My experience with reporting unfit properties has been good Alice.  I encourage everyone to start off with the positives.  If you want to have a moan then look at the fiscal/political situation the lead to the housing crisis.

Thatcher and the property is king ethos that I bet many of us benefited from.

The wide availability of buy to let loans that hardly existed 25 years ago

The view that property prices in the SE will continue to rise and you can't lose

Thatch, Major, Blair,  Brown, Cameron, the plethora of even more  useless PMs after this.

selling off of public housing and not replacing this etc etc.

surely that is not all Southwark fault.

we are not even talking slum landlords here, but greedy ones maximising their profits.