Running routes in East Dulwich.

Attempting to regain a little fitness I?ve been alternating between staggering around Peckham Rye and Dulwich Park. DP is flatter and has less traffic fumes, the Rye seems friendlier, with runners who actually smile back. Any thoughts? And has anyone worked out how far a lap round either park is?

And when on the rye why not vary by using the network of paths inside the park - far from traffic and plenty of variety. The jogging/dog walking path around the edge of Dulwich park is also fun.

Talking of running, is Peckham Rye dodgy to run across at night? I like nothing better than late night running at about 10pm after I finish work. Went round the rye last night but stuck to the perimieter road on the edge. Would I encounter crack heads and muggers if I ventured into the rye itself, or would I find peaceful tranquility?

I have regularly run (and walked) across the Rye in the dark. Normally a few dog owners, cyclists and the odd runner around. Never seen or heard of trouble - although this does not mean it is risk free, of course.

Ihe rye is completely open and reasonably well lit (which is not the case in the park part but that is locked after dark) so if you are at all concerned you can change direction easily enough to avoid unwanted attention.

We often add a little extension to Nunhead Cemetery for a beautiful wild peaceful run with great views when you are puffed at the top. A great loop takes in Dulwich park, P Rye Park and Nunhead Cemetery. Probably about 10km. Incidentally Nunhead Cemetery has its lovely annual open day tomorrow, saturday.