LTN Discussion

Administrator

16 minutes ago, Kathleen Olander said:

After 40 years, Harold George, latest casualty of LTN at Dukwich Village Junction

Explain more, their website shows them as still open but phone lines down 

Edited by Spartacus

9 minutes ago, Kathleen Olander said:

See my post, nothing to explain.

Are you saying they are closing down, relocating or something else? 

Your post really isn't clear and their website doesn't add any explanation. 

4 hours ago, Kathleen Olander said:

After 40 years, Harold George, latest casualty of LTN at Dukwich Village Junction

You could blame the LTN…but I think the frankly appalling hairdressing I experienced there over the years is more likely, including them dying my hair neon yellow then painting black over it to try to correct. It was horrific. Never understood how they kept going for so long.  

2 hours ago, ArmandHelpen1 said:

You could blame the LTN…but I think the frankly appalling hairdressing I experienced there over the years is more likely, including them dying my hair neon yellow then painting black over it to try to correct. It was horrific. Never understood how they kept going for so long.  

Why did you keep going back over the years?

• Like 1

It is hard to see how the LTN is the main cause of this business closing. 

You can still drive and park there if you really need to, it might just take up to 5 minutes longer depending on where you're starting from.

18 hours ago, Kathleen Olander said:

Why did you keep going back over the years?

I didn’t - the first time I went they messed up my colour so badly by dying it neon yellow, they invited me back to ‘correct’ it and then made it even worse by putting black hair dye over the yellow. The cut was terrible too.

I meant ‘over the years’ in the sense it happened years ago, but it put me off from ever returning and I wondered how it had kept going for so long. 

1 hour ago, DuncanW said:

It is hard to see how the LTN is the main cause of this business closing. 

You can still drive and park there if you really need to, it might just take up to 5 minutes longer depending on where you're starting from.

I also cannot imagine it’s the type of salon people would be driving from all over to visit.  Also if the lease was forfeited due to subletting then that’s the reason, not LTN. People seem to be looking for any excuse to blame the LTN, but expecting us to forget what it was like before. Snarling, backed up traffic, fumes and angry swearing motorists. It was horrible to walk through the village, dangerous and polluted. I use that parade far more now that it’s peaceful and safe for my kids than I ever would have before the LTN. 

Edited by ArmandHelpen1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ArmandHelpen1 said:

I didn’t - the first time I went they messed up my colour so badly by dying it neon yellow, they invited me back to ‘correct’ it and then made it even worse by putting black hair dye over the yellow. The cut was terrible too.

I meant ‘over the years’ in the sense it happened years ago, but it put me off from ever returning and I wondered how it had kept going for so long. 

Depends on what you mean by years ago, but the staff and management and owners have changed over the years, and the recent staff were very good and they used to be busy even on Sunday.  They gave up Sunday opening after the LTN was introduced due to fewer appointments being made.

Just now, Kathleen Olander said:

Depends on what you mean by years ago, but the staff and management and owners have changed over the years, and the recent staff were very good and they used to be busy even on Sunday.  They gave up Sunday opening after the LTN was introduced due to fewer appointments being made.

Yes fair enough, hadn’t been in recent times and did always look very busy (although that would suggest LTN wasn’t an issue?)

Why did it shut down so suddenly ?

The problem with the LTN is it stops people driving through the village and also driving from one side of Dulwich to out the other side to go somewhere else. The traffic problem is because all the through traffic is blocked from  wide roads like Calton and Court Lane which could be made a major relief route.

I don't see why the hairdresser is affected unless people were stopping for a haircut on their way to somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

West Dulwich LTN Action Group needs your help to challenge Lambeth Council in court! We need to raise £30k by Monday, 9th September – please donate here: https://gofund.me/ec59a9b3

We are fighting Lambeth Council’s proposal to impose a Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) on West Dulwich, which will cause increased traffic and pollution – just like their disastrous scheme in Streatham.

The council has manipulated data, ignored our legal letters, and failed to properly consult residents. We support reducing pollution, but not through a one-size-fits-all LTN that will create a problem which we currently do not have!

Your contribution will help us take the council to the High Court for a judicial review. It's time to hold them accountable for their misleading actions and poor decision-making.

Please donate, share our cause, and help us fight for a fairer solution. Together, we can make a difference – and if we succeed, you may even get your money back!

Donate here: https://gofund.me/ec59a9b3

There are actually three separate but related proposals from what I can tell. Are you going to explain which of them you are challenging and why? Or are you simply opposed to all and any change and relying on knee jerk opposition? Any chance you can actually provide details of your objections?

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Agree 1

One Dulwich

Campaign Update | 10 Sep

The Dulwich Village junction

Work continues on the £1.5 million Dulwich Village junction re-design, despite the lack of community support (see the Phase 3 Consultation Report here). We continue to impress on council officers that their plans show unacceptably poor access for emergency vehicles, and inadequate and badly positioned parking for Blue Badge holders. Further details, and how to object, can be found under ‘Dulwich Streets for People (notice dated 5 Sept 2024)’. 

Southwark’s poor investment

The Department for Transport’s published data (updated last month) shows that Southwark’s huge investment in active travel – including millions spent on LTNs – has resulted in no significant change in either walking or cycling. In fact, walking and cycling for travel (rather than leisure) went down in 2023 compared with pre-Covid years. Maybe they need to re-think their strategy? 

West Dulwich Action Group

The West Dulwich Action Group are taking legal action to fight Lambeth Council over the recently imposed LTN. Read more on their Facebook page, or help them reach their £30,000 target via GoFundMe. 

Thank you for your support.

Best wishes,

The One Dulwich Team

Speaking of things that haven’t aged well, I notice the offensive ‘All Streets Matter’ slogan in the photo that made it into the latest Southwark News article from Richard Aldwinkle (aka Mr One Dulwich).

Didn’t they issue an apology for that after it was pointed out to be very distasteful? You’d think Richard would supply a better photo.