Yummy Mummies

Hi,

I went into a pub the other day day at 2pm for a quiet pint and to read the paper before facing up to the other half. In the pub were about ten mums with the little ones, one woman was breast feeding, the atmosphere was clearly not right.

Is it not a good idea for each mum to take turns and host a gathering at home, this way it would be better for the mother and child (as pub toilets and areas are clean but maybe not as clean as you would like)and would also be cheaper given the state of the economy.

Another fresher alternative would be on a warm day meet up for a picnic. Each parent would take a rug and some food and drink, and let the children enjoy the fresh air, this way they can make as much noise as they like without the parent feeling concious.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Wouldn't your home make for a quieter environment for reading the paper, Libra?

Nice clean toilets - and cheaper, given the state of the economy. And.. you wouldn't have to catch sight of such stomach-churning activities such as breast feeding and the like.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> I went into a pub the other day day at 2pm for a

> quiet pint and to read the paper before facing up

> to the other half. In the pub were about ten mums

> with the little ones, one woman was breast

> feeding, the atmosphere was clearly not right.

>

> Is it not a good idea for each mum to take turns

> and host a gathering at home, this way it would be

> better for the mother and child (as pub toilets

> and areas are clean but maybe not as clean as you

> would like)and would also be cheaper given the

> state of the economy.

> Another fresher alternative would be on a warm day

> meet up for a picnic. Each parent would take a

> rug and some food and drink, and let the children

> enjoy the fresh air, this way they can make as

> much noise as they like without the parent feeling

> concious.

>

> Regards,

> Libra Carr.

Please tell me this is tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway as my Grandad used to say 'You have to eat a cart load of muck before you die.'

Hi again,

My home would not be suitable for reading a paper as as soon as I return home I start to do jobs about the house, thats why some pubs leave papers for you to read. I also do not have a problem with mums spending money in local pubs and businesses as this helps the local community. I thought that my idea was a good one and that it would help the little one's appreciate the open air.

In respect of breast feeding I think it should be encouraged, a lot of people feel embarressed about it, and if you do then i am very, very sorry for you. Breast feeding is natural it assists in bonding, I am of the opinion that it also makes mother/child ratio a lot happier in later life.

I am deeply sorry if you misread my musings.

regards,

Libra Carr.

LibraCarr, very simply for the same reason that you might meet your friends in the pub sometimes instead of always hosting or attending dinner parties, or indeed having picnics. Most new mothers do also meet in caf?s, in each other's houses and in parks. The pub is just an alternative. Mothers do get a bit stir-crazy suddenly living a life when they spend at least 20 hours a day 7 days a week at home, and a break is delightful.

Speaking personally, I first went into a pub with my baby son when he was about 4 months old. I was with a number of other mothers and babies, and we had a very pleasant lunch which though booze-free felt intoxicatingly exciting and like a wonderful glimpse of the return of relative normality.

(edited because I cross-posted with LibraCarr - yes, I'm afraid I did think you were disapproving of mothers in pubs, so have deleted my response to that part. Many thanks for your clarification and kind regards)

Surely MattinDulwich will never post on this website forum again !!

I think in the UK where people drink so heavily (even in SE22) it's silly to expose kids to pubs, where people are there to drink alcohol predominantly (even in SE22) and therefore will inevitably experience the effects of alcohol which we all know too well. I suspect the underlying reason for taking a kid to the pub is that the parents can drink.

His point is fair though, if I get the chance to pop out for a pint with my mates and the place is full of kids I'll generally move on because if I want a place full of kids I can stay at home. I think a lot of landlords are trying to cater for several market segments when they promote family action at pubs, a bit like your petrol station selling groceries.

Also I get p*ssed off with all the prams onthe high street - but mainly because I can't get my baby's pram through !

alib,

I didn't infer or even state that my needs were more valid than a child's, so please don't automatically paint me as anti child, I am not. I simply wanted to know what would motivate parents to take their kids out to the pub of an evening. I agree that if children don't get the opportunity to go to various places then they never learn about appropriate behaviour, boundaries etc.. I'm also sure it's good for them simply to discover new environments and so on. I like to see families out enjoying themselves, most normal people do. The odd tantrum or screaming is bound to happen and, in my view, is acceptable so long as the parent/s intervene and parent. However, I have witnessed a number of instances where the children were tearing and screaming around virtually unsupervised. I can only conclude that they hadn't had enough play prior to the pub, or they were over stimulated/over tired. I just felt that those children were not in the right place at the right time for them. I don't think it's really an issue in pub gardens, it's when it's inside that it can be a problem.

Of course parents need a break too and I wholly support their right to go out and have a drink etc.. without feeling unwelcome/judged.

Lozzy loz, think you make some good points but not sure about conflating toddlers going to pubs in the evening with rising teenage knife crime. I think that is a totally different and complex issue, although learning respect for others, self control, boundaries, may be part of the problem.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> not everyone's

> cup of tea

Blimey, *Bob*, you do choose your metaphors.

Firstmate, if you wholly support parents' right to go out without feeling judged, why do you make comments like 'I can only conclude that they hadn't had enough play prior to the pub, or they were over stimulated/over tired'

Jah - sorry - I've been at least partially responsible for the dragging on and on of this thread, even though I too am immensely bored and somewhat depressed by it. Just - can't - seem - to - stop - myself - posting - aargh!

Moos,

I think my conclusions were probably correct, doesn't make me critical or judgemental. Some may feel those conclusions to be reasonable Do you think the children should have been left to their own devices? I did say that screaming etc.. is perfectly understandable and will happen, however, it is only right that there is some kind of suitable and immediate, parental intervention, in the manner expressed by many on this thread. In a number instances I refer to there was no intervention, the parents seemed oblivious.

I think that every licensee should apply just the one criterion.

If a kid starts to behave in an any way like the contestants on The Apprentice, they should be asked to vacate the premises, withn their parents if necessary.

I'll leave it up to someone else to suggest that they might have had too much sugar.

enough already. how many times does this forum have to be jammed with parent/childless snoreathon argument??

as a mum who takes kids in pubs but in the afternoon only i can only agree that there are some parents that really just don't look out for their kids. i can't count the amount of times i have turned up with toys etc... to keep kids distracted when children who have been left to run around come and snatch them so i end up trying to keep things calm for everyone. it annoys the hell out of me.

so even with kids i have had enough of parents who do not seem to care about what their children get up to when out.

i have also had enough of this totally selfish sob from all these people who can't stand buggies that are actually better for your back or to see children out and about with their parents enjoying things that make life good. get over it or go somewhere else. my advice to you: if someones' kid is annoying you TELL THEM (yes i did mean to shout there) otherwise they will just keep doing it. stop bitching on forums, it's not like your tackling a teenager on a bus, these are toddlers so speak up...