Goose green ignorance

Just a little reminder that the path across goose green is for everyone's use and NOT JUST people with BUGGYS.

I was carrying a few bags of shopping across the green earlier this afternoon and found myself behind two ladies who were so busy chatting to one another that they failed to see me walking towards them and was forced into slushy muddy grass whilst carrying FOUR BAGS. I shuffled past quickly and one of them tutted, so I turned round and advised them that the path was for everyone's use and not just specific people. She gave me a rather vague and slightly bemused look back and didnt say anything.

Bit of consideration for others please - Goose Green public path is for everyone - not just YOU!

Louisa.

This really gets me whoever it is. Same goes with adult cyclists on the pavement constantly ringing their bell to get you to move out of their way. A few weeks ago I was forced into a very wet muddy patch by a large group of runners wanting to stay out of the mud themselves. Now wished I just stood right there and forced them to go round me instead. No-one ever says thank you in these situations.

Were they salt of the earth, knees-up round the old blitz spirit gawd bless 'em cockernees?

Or were they Boden-sporting Jenny-come-lately types, gassing about house prices whilst fiddling with their iPhones?

I KNOW WHO MY MONEY IS ON

I find the phrase 'excuse me please' normally works and reminds others who are not doing any serious harm other than absentmindedly blocking the pavement to budge over.

I'm sure at some time or other we have all been 'lost' in our own worlds and not realised how are actions are impacting on others. A friendly nudge to come back down to earth and be aware of others works wonders.

They were about mid way across the green path and heading in the direction of the church but sort of facing one another and stopped slap bang in the middle of the path, gassing away. They could quite easily see people walking towards them I'm sure, from either direction and I was holding quite a lot of heavy shopping. I didn't feel it necessary to ask to please be able to use the path as I felt they could both see me. Maybe I should have thinking about it. But I am always so aware of other people in a shared public space and I wouldn't need prompting to move over.

*Bob* I'm not sure of their background, but neither were prepared to apologise to me or even interact with me. But I put them straight. It only ever happens to me on Goose Green, and it nearly always involves a buggy. I don't wish to have a leaflet campaign again as I did with the infamous daffodil pickets a few years ago. Just a little consideration please.

Louisa.

Whilst we are on the subject of space- it would be very considerate of those who have hedges to trim them back to their property border because I am sick of not being able to walk down some streets with my partner without nipping into the road every 100 yards. The guilty parties probably never walk anywhere so they do not realise they are 'stealing' one third of the walkway.

You have been warned- I am going to log your addresses and inform the council- or- if your hedge overhangs the public highway I may even be able to legally remove your overhang as long as I throw it into your front garden.

I've experienced similar on many occasions, forever having to step off the kerb and into the road to avoid buggies. It's not the buggies though it's the people pushing them. Moreover, there is also a distinct lack of manners and thought for other people these days.

Just because a buggy has manouverable wheels does not mean buggy pushers enjoy weaving in and out of the way of every person they encounter on the street.

As a buggy user, who does not own a car, I am so sick of having to push past people on the street who assume I can go around them with the flick of my wrist. I usually say 'excuse me, sorry' as I go by.

I am also usually pushing a child and heavy bags.

Lets lay of the buggy bashing please. Don't paint us all with the same brush.

People have children, you were all children once so get over it.

Manners all round.

Ann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Louisa, I remember the debate about Goose Green

> daffodils but I don't remember any leaflets

> posted!

I posted a number of leaflets around, mostly on the larger trees close to the road so that people had a front line 'visual barrier' to make them think twice about abusing the poor flowers. I also had a confrontation with a number of would be daffodil abusers, which again contributed to the extended duration of their seasonal flowering.

Buggies are ok, as long as the driver is able to be polite and not own the pavement. The whole car vs bicycle debate on another thread has a lot of parallels with the pedestrian environment too. Some buggy owners walk in twos along a pavement, forcing people out into the road or cornered behind a lamp post and forced to wait. My anger on goose green may seem a storm in a tea cup to some, but on a rainy day being forced off a path into saturated mud with bags ill of shopping without even an acknowledgment from the selfish people forcing you to make a diversion, is just not fair.

Louisa.