Luca's closing down?

I live close to Luca's and walk past it daily. I wont miss it at all- the folk sat outside it on weekend mornings and weekday afternoons look very smug and pleased with themselves as they chow down on expensive sourdough bread and avocado and talk to their pet dog tied up to the table. 

The only semi decent thing about it was the fact they sold pastel de nata, although that is hardly unusual these days. My bird did like the ice cream there, but its probably for the best she doesn't eat too much of it lest she put on weight, 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Humdinger said:

I live close to Luca's and walk past it daily. I wont miss it at all- the folk sat outside it on weekend mornings and weekday afternoons look very smug and pleased with themselves as they chow down on expensive sourdough bread and avocado and talk to their pet dog tied up to the table. 

Sounds like more of a you problem than them, to be quite honest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 22/05/2023 at 12:07, Jenijenjen said:

That makes sense, I believe Forest is owned by the same people as The Fresh Flower Company two doors down

Forest always seemed very cramped, so it will be great for them to have more space.

Weighing in here I found Humdingers post pretty vile and judgemental.

Not to mention the comment relating to his 'bird' putting on weight. (I assume they aren't referring to a pet Budgie here).

Luca's were a small independent business employers of young waiting staff all of whom will lose their jobs.

I used to go there at weekends actually and no I don't have a pet dog (I wish!) and I dont consider myself smug looking but if I am it'll be because I've finished a hard weeks grind and am enjoying sitting with a cup of coffee and watching the world go by.

I wish good luck to Luca and his team and thank you for the years you've fed and watered us.

Edited by NewWave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 25/05/2023 at 18:45, NewWave said:

Weighing in here I found Humdingers post pretty vile and judgemental.

Not to mention the comment relating to his 'bird' putting on weight. (I assume they aren't referring to a pet Budgie here).

Luca's were a small independent business employers of young waiting staff all of whom will lose their jobs.

I used to go there at weekends actually and no I don't have a pet dog (I wish!) and I dont consider myself smug looking but if I am it'll be because I've finished a hard weeks grind and am enjoying sitting with a cup of coffee and watching the world go by.

I wish good luck to Luca and his team and thank you for the years you've fed and watered us.

well said

• Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 09:10, Humdinger said:

The only semi decent thing about it was the fact they sold pastel de nata, although that is hardly unusual these days. My bird did like the ice cream there, but its probably for the best she doesn't eat too much of it lest she put on weight, 

I agree I am one of the smug people who sit outside looking at the pedestrians like they're dirt. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Still no answer as to what happened to Luca and his business? Aside from being a café, Luca was also a purveyor of good quality Italian provisions like olive oil, passata, artichoke hearts, and more. And he made some of the best bread (for my money) in the area. It was a sourdough but with a slightly more even crumb and less aggressive crust than most. I never ate there, but he always seemed to have customers. Has he left the area? Does anyone know? We (I) would love another good Italian deli/provisoners.  

On 25/08/2023 at 09:51, Kirkdale said:

Still no answer as to what happened to Luca and his business? Aside from being a café, Luca was also a purveyor of good quality Italian provisions like olive oil, passata, artichoke hearts, and more. And he made some of the best bread (for my money) in the area. It was a sourdough but with a slightly more even crumb and less aggressive crust than most. I never ate there, but he always seemed to have customers. Has he left the area? Does anyone know? We (I) would love another good Italian deli/provisoners.  

Hello Kirkdale, it's Luca here. Just to avoid any speculation... I have closed the business by choice as I have decided to change my life to do some retraining and change my career for good. We as business have given plenty of notice to customers back in January regarding our decision.  I haven't moved back to Italy and I am still in the UK. 

I hope someone else will open up in East Dulwich and do something similar to what we did.

Thank you again for thinking about us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2023 at 11:04, LUCAC said:

Hello Kirkdale, it's Luca here. Just to avoid any speculation... I have closed the business by choice as I have decided to change my life to do some retraining and change my career for good. We as business have given plenty of notice to customers back in January regarding our decision.  I haven't moved back to Italy and I am still in the UK. 

I hope someone else will open up in East Dulwich and do something similar to what we did.

Thank you again for thinking about us.

Good luck Luca with your new venture.  Hope everything goes well for you.  Thank you for providing such a lovely cafe over the years, especially the lovely sourdough bread and icecream.