No No Mow May

It’s sad to see (at least) two patches of long grass, wildflowers (and all the small creatures within) being all but destroyed at that hands of the council. 
A lovely patch on Upland, next to the end of a row of social housing and the much larger area of grass outside the boys’ secondary school on Peckham Rye. 
If anyone knows the best department at the council to contact please let me know. IMG_1718.jpeg.3d8fb8e78bfcfa2a5961d0a0b6cd1273.jpegIMG_1734.jpeg.af84ef6f532f391938cae78d4d5c38ea.jpeg

Whilst I am generally very happy with the no-mow-May concept (some of the local cemeteries which follow this look great with their inner clumps of unmown meadow) I was plagued, as a child, by the miseries of hay-fever and pollen-induced asthma (and still can be), so removing the source close to schools does seem a generally sensible idea - it's particularly bad for sufferers during the exam season. Timothy grasses in particular triggered me. Although drug regimes are now far better than they were in the 50s and 60s, removing the source is still probably a better remedy than taking drugs for school-child sufferers. 

I don’t buy this - the school is already situated next to acres of open grassland and trees, much more likely sources of pollen but there’s no plan to raze all the greenery. So, a few square yards of grass in front of a school whose windows don’t seem to ever be open is highly unlikely to make it a sneeze fest for the school’s pupils or teachers. (PS I have hay fever and still prefer a theoretical chance of a moment or two’s unpleasantness to destroying flora and fauna *by the council which we pay for*.) 

FFS I assumed from the title it would be about not mowing your own lawn - we are leaving ours till June.  Why don't you just title it "evil corrupt Southwark Council's destroying wildlife".

If you have a problem them complain to the Council and then report back.  I'm going to calm down and post something about goldfinches elsewhere.

Sadly there's couldn't be any no mow May on the very large plot of the park opposite the school, now being prepared for Gala. 

The verge outside the school was mown the same day as that was, so the council mowers may have just done it all at the same time to be efficient, or the school may have asked them to come over the road and do it whilst they were there.

I've just spoken to a council worker cutting grass next to Goose Green playground. He explained that for No Mow May they cut the 'common areas' of grass and just leave the 'meadow areas' (eg inside the small wooden fences at the edge of Goose Green).

I'm sure I remember it all being left last year?

I'm only posting positive comments on this site now.  I hope you get a chance to read Souhtwark's biodiversity  plan.  https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/ecology?chapter=3  Looks like they are doing lots of good things.

I'm trying to adopt meadow management for much of our lawn, going beyond the No Mow May.  Cutting three times a year, April, August/September, and then October/November.  I'll be doing this by hand!  The yellow rattle has now established, clover coming into flower.  Other seeds and plugs generally didn't work, but the yellow rattle will compete with the grass, allowing other flowers to establish in years to come.