Increase in Lime Bikes on LL

Bic Basher

Let's see what happens and if Lime take note. The Council have given due notice and those disguarded bikes and scooters will be removed awaiting collection and settlement of due fee's to be paid. 

It's a shame Lewisham don't do the same. 

Edited by jazzer

Loads of Lime bikes uniformly placed along a large part of Court Lane this evening - too uniform to be random.

This is fast becoming a real mess of a strategic policy, which looks and feels like it is part-baked and being really rushed with poor execution, and could backfire massively on councils across the country as disgruntled residents will blame them - it's a bit embarrassing that a council leader has to send a letter - do we suspect Lime have not been listening to/ignoring previous outreach/correspondence?

I mean, who could have possibly seen this coming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63647238 - it's only happened in every place the bikes have been allowed.

4 hours ago, malumbu said:

Copy of Southwark letter - hopefully you will all be pleased.  Why not give me a thumbs up or thumbs down.  Thanks to ED Pete who put the letter up on another thread

Fykf7viWIAErz1u.jpg

👍👍👍

That seems a perfectly reasonable response by Southwark. Certainly more reasonable than what I would do (immediately nationalise poorly parked bikes and order the CEO to do 10 hours community service for each obstructed pavement).

Edited by Dogkennelhillbilly
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 09:34, exdulwicher said:

The e-bikes aren't on a trial scheme, it's the e-scooter rental scheme that is being trialled.

In the council report it says e-bikes are on trial in Southwark until May 2024; the e-scooter trial is across all London.

They will be extending parking bays across the whole borough but claimed in the report that (at that point) parking was not an issue. They aim to introduce cargo bikes for hire.

This is all to meet the mission points in their 2020 Movement plan, but I do not remember that being mentioned in their most recent manifesto. I cannot recall any sort of consultation on any of this, can anyone else?

I think it is going to be a very frustrating transition period, probably for the council too and Cllr Williams' letter to Lime shows they are all too aware. 

The problem is it all looks a great idea on paper ( and helps the council tick off points on its Movement Plan) but human behaviour gets in the way. 

There is probably enough information on how the e-bike schemes have bedded in elsewhere, including other countries, to have meant some of the current issues could have been anticipated and maybe better planned for.

Do we know if at the end of the trial period next year there will be any sort of consultation?

I have had great fun watching the antics of kids concerning a lime bike near the front of where I live

Twice I've seen kids (early to mid teens) pick the back of the bike up, run a few steps then drop the back wheel to "crack" the lock. 

Both times they failed and just left the bike where it was. 

I wonder if there are statistics available on how many legitimate hires occur verses how ofter the rider has cracked the lock? 

When are the council going to start clearing all the other obstructions off the pavements like peoples bins, overgrown hedges, fly tipped rubbish, litter, broken glass and all the dog shit everywhere.

These bikes are a nuisance, sure, but they also have some utility, unlike all the other detritus the council seem quite happy to ignore.

• Like 2

I spotted a teen on a Lime Bike in Penge today which is well out of the coverage area for them.   It didn't make the clicking sound and the e-assist appeared to be working, but I believe it had been jacked.

When I've used a Lime bike in the boundary area, the speed limit will drop to 10mph (you'll see a tortoise icon on the dash) and when you are out of the riding area, it will slow to a crawl, so there appears to be another hack to get those bikes working outside the approved area as well.

Lime bikes can no longer be parked on council estates within Southwark.  You can ride through them and park on the boundary.

Bizarrely, Lime bikes can still be parked in Dulwich Park, but not in Belair. 

Edited by Bic Basher

S-Lime bikes are becoming a blight on the area. I'm tripping over the darn things every time I leave my home. Eghhh!

Can't we all just start owning things again whist still being happy?

Edited by AcedOut

London Cycling Campaign and therefore Southwark Cyclists are in some sort of a partnership with Lime (not sure of exact nature of this just going by LCC website). Can those organisations put pressure on Lime to come up with solutions to pavement cluttering etc?

Aaah ok - it all makes sense now. Well I'm all for easy access bikes and electric bikes, but they are creating a hazard for partially sighted residents, wheel-chair users and people with mobility and balance issues. I might contact some disability and access for all pressure groups and ask them to lobby Southwark Council to pick up bikes obstructing pavements - maybe the parking team can remove and impound? 

https://bikebiz.com/lime-to-collaborate-with-london-cycling-campaign/amp/

lime bike -LCC 'partnership'