Increase in Lime Bikes on LL

Bic Basher

Some people park them inconsiderately. I tend to move them if I see this - just lift the back wheel and roll it off the pavement onto the road. Like said above, I think some of it is kids.

The on road bays are a great improvement. If we could also address the bins and generally prioritise pavement widening over car storage, that would be even better.

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Like 2

Does the council have any mechanism to collate resident's complaints about the discarded bikes - it does seem as if the council has opened the floodgates and is doing little to monitor the negative impacts of the schemes? Perhaps someone who lives in Cllr McAsh's ward can bring it up to him via email and get his response as I am sure this falls under his remit in his new council role and as he spends time in East Dulwich he can't have not noticed the challenges the bikes are creating and how bad the problem has become in the last few weeks.

Is it just me or does it look like someone has been tidying them up as there don't seem to be as many around as there was a week or so ago? Although whomever placed 8-10 of them on the pavement in front of the bus stop outside the Post Office on Lordship Lane when the e-cycle parking bay opposite had space really needs to give it more thought.....

Earl - pedestrians aren't part of the council's grand plan - Southwark's rules are that you can only get streetspace/infrastructure dedicated to you if you are a bike! 😉 Pedestrians have long since been forgotten when it comes to active travel......

Lots of Lime's carelessly left in front of the Church on Blenheim Grove, lunchtime today, the P13 was stranded whilst a huge lorry with a crane off loaded its delivery and the bikes further caused a obstruction. 

Does anyone know if a bike is "jacked" i.e. taken without paying - the rear wheel clicks if the next user uses is legally does it stop clicking? The reason I ask is I see, and hear, more bikes making the clicking noise than those that don't and are we to presume that any rider on a clicking bike has "jacked" it?

On 22/05/2023 at 15:40, claresy said:

I love the Lime bikes and think it's a really positive thing - good for the environment, good for health and really convenient. I'm pleased there are more as it can still be difficult to find one, so I'm clearly not alone in finding them useful. I'm a resident and see no problem with them at all. I know lots of people who find them a godsend and haven't heard anyone complain except for on here.   Part of the joy is that they can be picked and dropped off anywhere. I find it surprising that people find fault with something so inoffensive and progressive.

They need to address the issue of ‘parking’ these bikes though. They are a huge hazard for anyone with any mobility issues. 
Yesterday I took my elderly visually impaired father for a walk. If I hadnt been with him, he would have tripped on 3 separate occasions due to Lime Bikes dumped right in the middle of pavements.

• Like 2

Someone has smeared shit all over a Lime bike on Goodrich Road (handle bars, seat etc) I've reported it via there online forms but I'm not a member so unsure if they'll see if any time soon. 

If anyone knows of a better way to report it let me know.

On Melbourne Grove I saw two lads riding Lime Bikes on the wrong side of the road on Sunday afternoon, one had the back wheel clicking which I'd assume is a stolen bike?

I used Lime over the weekend and they requested I roll the bike forward and back to ensure the bike is properly locked after finishing my ride.

Edited by Bic Basher

The back wheel clicking means the bike has been taken without payment - my son told me how you do it (Bic the way they jack it is linked to the rocking backwards and forwards to lock it) as all the kids know the trick and it is a badge of honour to have a clicking back wheel as it shows you have "stolen it" and aren't paying to use it.

• Like 1

It shows how bad the problem has become. Interesting that some operators re claiming their bikes can’t be jacked- does that mean Lime might have to replace/retrofit their entire fleet of bikes if the current ones can be jacked?

In the space of three minutes this morning I saw/heard three “jacked” Lime e-bikes, all ridden (on the pavement, natürlich) by males in their teens. Two other bikes had been left in the centre of footpaths. Others were strewn across kerbs into the gutter.