Proposed development of the East Dulwich Tabernacle on Barry Road

The Church have submitted a planning application to replace the existing building with a two storey building running in line with the existing properties on either side leading into a single storey hall that then joins a further two storey extension at the rear. The front garden will be replaced with this building and an off street car park.Concerns already raised include the proposed size of the plan, the potential increased hours of operation and the negative effect on adjoining properties. If you have a view please look at the plans at http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk entering reference 13/AP/1077 and make sure that your opinion is heard. There will also be a local residents meeting at the Great Exhibition pub on Saturday 1st June at 11.30am

UncleBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like it could be one of those happy clappy

> churches that go on all night with plenty of

> screaming and shouting with hundreds in attendance

Indeed.

'Potential increase in hours of operation' equates to a nightmare, if the one on the corner of Nunhead Lane & Carden Rd is anything to go by. Cars from all over descend, starting early in the morning right through the evening without breaks - on weekends and weekdays. They don't have regular church service hours but rather an ongoing noisy free for all inside and outside the building with no regard for neighbours. Children left running & screaming in the streets without supervision. No parking for residents - parking across driveways and even in residents' own drives. They leave a load of litter behind in and around the adjoining streets and even when the services are over they hang about for hours shouting. Speaking with them rationally is met with Jesus clap trap. Due to complaints a few put on 'warden' fluoro vests and hang about outside doing nothing. In a word, useless. So much for 'Love Thy Neighbour'. The Council have been ineffective in curbing this.

UncleBen Wrote:

> Sounds like it could be one of those happy clappy

> churches that go on all night with plenty of

> screaming and shouting with hundreds in attendance

I wonder what this suggestion is based on?

Has anybody been to any of the meetings at the current building or spoken to anyone from there?

"Consultation period starts: 01/05/2013 Consultation period ends: 24/05/2013" http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9549236 (though I think late comments may still be looked at).

Their Design and Access document states that they are not aware of any existing noise transmission problem, with their current single glazing. They add: "The new work will be both double glazed and have roof and wall insualtion. The worship and youth areas will be contained within two walls from ther nearest residential buildings."

> Has anybody been to any of the meetings at the current building or spoken to anyone from there?

There is an eye-opening photograph at http://www.eastdulwichtabernacle.org

RosieH Wrote:

> I implore you all to shake that booty that Jesus

> gave you, shake that booty in the name of the

> Lord.

X x x x x x x x

*shudders* at RosieH shaking bootie

UncleBen Wrote:

> RosieH Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I implore you all to shake that booty that

> Jesus

> > gave you, shake that booty in the name of the

> > Lord.

> X x x x x x x x

> *shudders* at RosieH shaking bootie

UncleBen, I think we hear quite enough about your "shuddering", you intellectually subnormal onanist. Keep it to yourself.

ShaleneV Wrote:

> If you have a view please look at the

> plans at http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk

> entering reference 13/AP/1077 and make sure that

> your opinion is heard. There will also be a local

> residents meeting at the Great Exhibition pub on

> Saturday 1st June at 11.30am

> "Consultation period starts: 01/05/2013 Consultation period ends: 24/05/2013"

If the consultation period is finished, is there any point going to the public meeting?

Is the tabernacle the one near Underhill Road? If that is the one - they are very strict Baptist and I have never been to a 'happy clappy' service there. Admittedly only went once - it was very dull, long and miserable hymns.

If it is the one in Upland Road - that was a noisy one

Pugwash Wrote:

> Is the tabernacle the one near Underhill Road? If

> that is the one - they are very strict Baptist and

> I have never been to a 'happy clappy' service

> there. Admittedly only went once - it was very

> dull, long and miserable hymns.

>

> If it is the one in Upland Road - that was a noisy

> one

I believe it's the former.

If they are anything like the Westboro' Baptist Church in the USA then we are all doomed -and if you don't practise their lifestyle you are likely to have your funeral picketed as the outstanding musician Jeff Hanneman did last week

I dont subscribe to any religion, and am often am incredulous at the beliefs of others, but that is their choice. Who are we to argue, I think particularly Uncleglen it is not helpful to link the Tabernacle to Westboro on the basis that they are both baptist.

That would be like saying East Dulwich is the same as the former East Germany as they both have the word "East" in them.

All very entertaining but if anyone has a valid reason to object to these proposed plans - size and scope of proposed building, impact on the local environment, increase in noise and traffic, increase hours of operation etc please register your objections as soon as possible!! Email your views to [email protected] quoting ref:13/AP/1077. If you have an objection make it heard so that the council have everyones opinion before they make a final decision.

As ward councillors Cllr Rosie Shimell and myself have asked for this decision to be 'call-in' and be decided by a planning committee of councillors IF officers are minded to recommend persmission be granted - which I'm told they are.

I'll hear later this week if this has been successful and then later in June it would probably be heard by a planning committee subcommittee.

And just to retierate whether you are for or against this scheme tell the planning officers ASAP.

Whether for or against it's worth asking planning officers to ensure a Travel Plan is required or as they call it conditioned. Hours of operation. Waste management. Cycle parking. Noise insulation. Aesthetics.

NB. The pastor has invited me to a service. I'll probably visit but not attend a service.

Stacey-Lyn, I have been living right next to the church on Carden road for several years now.

They never cause me any bother. There isn't really any more litter after a service, none more than you'd see in any other street locally... There aren't even any driveways on Carden road to block. Sometimes people stop outside my flat talking for ten mins or so, but not hoards of kids screaming around like you say. Noise levels aren't that bad really, and they only have proper services twice a week, Sunday and Tuesday night. Live and let live, I say....

?????? i live on nunhead lane across the street form the same church, and my experience could not be more different! people standing outside SHOUTING for hours, on old james street too, well past 11pm. rubbish everywhere - nappies, fast food wrappers, empty bottles - not only on the street but thrown into our front and back gardens. no chance of finding a parking place on sundays. unsupervised kids running screaming. wailing waking us up every sunday am and continuing til late at night. tuesday nights are nightmare as they have late service and manic screams and laughter keeps us awake for hours. from time to time they have buses of people coming from out of town - oh joy... very inconsiderate and selfrightous people - wouldn't wish anyone to live next door to this.

we have been complaing to council for years. got in touch with police too - that helped for about 5 minutes but they are back to their old ways. NIGHTMARE!!!!

(Caveat: I'm not saying that any of this will apply to the Tabernacle church but a development to expand the premises is likely to attract larger numbers and possible associated problems).

What's that old adage - something like you don't p%** in your own pool/front yard.

Ultraburner, the forecourt of the church always looks pristine and clearly you've benefited from living next door.

I really do subscribe to 'live and let live' however your experience is certainly not the experience of the residents on Old James Street and Nunhead Lane which is where they park most of their cars and where they congregate.

The street litter bins, though provided, are rarely used but rather fried chicken boxes and all sorts of food leftovers, plus drinks and so on just thrown about and often end up in our front garden. The worshippers make their way down the neighbouring roads and they DO linger for ages - an hour or more after they leave the church, shouting - I mean really SHOUTING. There are not 'proper services' like an hour or 2 then a break, then another hour or 2. Rather, these are uninterrupted and people arrive and depart in groups all day and night (mostly on Tuesdays).

On Christmas Day they parked across our drive blocking our car in for hours (this was not the first time) and despite asking the church to have it moved, they wouldn't. Reluctantly we had to call the police. I should have recorded the exchange. It was priceless and surreal - the reason was that 1: disciples of the church can do pretty much whatever they like in the name of christ and 2: they came 'all the way from Luton'.

As stompi says, we also get coaches from all over parked out the front early on Sunday mornings bussing in even more happy clappy LOUD people who are totally insensitive to the neighbours.

We have even seen worshippers helping their young children pee in our front garden! I mean, really.

Honestly, it is truly a nightmare. Lucky you if you're not affected.