Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well said SJ and JB.

>

> I didn't mean to suggest that the location was a

> problem per se, just that it would prevent me

> personally from becoming a frequent visitor (only

> went there twice, to see bands).

Hi Jeremy. Sorry, the location comment wasn't aimed at you, but to others who claim location IS a problem per se! Thanks for your supportive comments.

I do like a lively debate! And it's doing wonders for our share sales.

DJKQ - you did misunderstand. You said it had "nothing to do with freehold etc . . . " (9.23pm, 28.5) but, as I explained to you, owning the freehold and being free of tie is extremely important. And you still don't seem to appreciate the difference between the previous tenant's business model and our own.

As to geographical location, we recognised this as a challenge in our business plan. However, it is not insurmountable and we have thought very carefully about ways to address it. Again, community shares will be important in mitigating this difficulty.

Did you come to our public meeting in April? People were lined up outside the building waiting to come in. The pub was totally packed with people wanted to see it re-open and to become part of what is a groundbreaking project. There is immense will locally to see the pub become a successful and thriving part of our neighbourhood.

I would not have given up over a year of my life to work tirelessly on the pub in between doing a demanding job and bringing up a toddler, raise ?1 million, buy the freehold and conduct a community share issue that currently stands at more than ?100k for a project that I did not think would succeed. And I am no fool! I have, of course, also put my money where my mouth is and bought my own shares.

So perhaps you should reserve judgment and we can reconvene this debate in 18 months - over a pint in the Ivy House?!

We got shares and are looking forward to using the pub. Location i think is only a problem in that i for one didn't really know it existed until i went to a few Pull the Other One nights there before it closed and i lived in and around the area since 2001. To those moaning minnies talking about it being too far to walk - honestly it's only about 10 minutes walk from East Dulwich Road/Nunhead lane and there are the 343 and 484 buses that go up that side of the common and the 434 is a 24 hour bus!

People in inner London complaining not to be able to get to places without cars always makes me smile!! Where i grew up it was fairly common to walk back over a mile or so in the dark to and from the surrounding village pubs.

But yes the pub business is a hard one and getting harder by the day - so if locals want it to succeed we need to put our money where our mouth is and make it our local!

I live the other side of East Dulwich to The Ivy House, but still often made the trip there for Sunday roasts and also to go to music and comedy gigs at the pub.

If you are already having a stroll round Peckham Rye park, it is an easy and pleasant walk from there.

When we subsequently held our own http://www.thegooseisout.com gigs there, we found that "our" punters were very happy to make the trip to The Ivy House.

With the huge amount of local goodwill towards the pub, and the fact that it has already been shown that it can clearly work as a "destination" venue as well as a "local", I think its prospects are excellent.

It's sad to see some negativity on the thread, but such is human nature :(

DJKQ in not-really-knowing-what-she's-talking-about shocker.

The idea that running, essentially a housing estate community centre, somehow gives you stunning insight and business knowledge of running a pub is laughable. Compared to those investing time and money into the business, who will have poured over finances for months, calculating revenues in consultation with many people who actually know the industry, it's insulting that you feel in a place to offer anything more than a good luck pat on the back before retiring to wish them ill in private.

Not for the first time, in the face of a mass of evidence to the contrary, your pernicious pessimism goes into overload. Sometimes, instead, do us all a favour and go and have a cup of tea.

Dave Carnell thinks he knows everything about someone he's never met shocker.

I do know what I'm talking about David, some my friends are publicans and THEY definitely know what they are talking about. I've met no-one in the pub trade locally who thinks the projected revenue is achieveable in that pub in that area.

But we shall see in time. Only then can you suggest I go have a cup of tea or maybe I'll be suggesting you go eat some pie, of the humble kind.

DJKQ, why not just leave it at "it's going to be tough but I wish them luck"? I think that's how most of us feel to varying degrees. But it seems rather mean - spiteful even - to focus so much on the former rather than the latter.

If you're so keen on picking over the numbers, then you could always volunteer to help out and lend your experience in a more constructive capacity.

I think we have been very honest with ourselves and realistic about the pub's prospects. It's going to be tough on a number of fronts - but that's OK, we never thought it would be anything other than tough. We know what we're up against and we've planned for it.

Our business plan and associated documents have been carefully reviewed by our funders too (The Architectural Heritage Fund and the Social Investment Business Group). They have interrogated our assumptions and projections and neither body would have funded us if they thought that the venture wasn't viable.

We're a community organisation so we welcome debate. We also accept that what we're doing isn't for everyone. However, I think it's very easy to sit on the sidelines, prophesising doom and gloom, and much harder to stand up, roll up your sleeves and get on with it. DJKQ - my door is always open if you have some practical tips or suggestions that you think we might benefit from or if you would like to volunteer your time.

The nicest pubs i've worked for are free-houses as they can pick and choose the best and it makes them much more competitive on price. Being a free house will really allow them to make it a truly original venue. I just brought my shares as I love the idea.

I think it is a case of putting your money where your mouth is. We drone on about not having pubs that serve the community and provide us with what we want - the team at the Ivy House have put forward a sensible plan that their funders believe in so I, for one, am supporting them. I can't afford more than the minimum investment at the moment but am happy to make that, and I would like to support them in other ways. If you don't believe in it fair enough - just stop being so negative about people who genuinely want to restore a lovely community pub.

honeybee79 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

We're determined to put

> the Ivy House back at the heart of the community

> and see it thrive.

xxxxxxxx

And that's what it's all about.

Thanks honeybee and team for all your continuing dedication and hard work.

Hats off to the people behind this. I think there's LOTS to like about this initiative for a whole host of reasons. If you're looking for a return on investment then you're kind of missing the point and the spirit of things. With 300 odd share holders it's more likely to have a regular, core, customer base. A sense of ownership has that affect. Add some good events for non regulars to that revenue stream and it could work. Then there's the freehold (which IS a game changer for many reasons) alongside the determination and passion of those involved. The upside far outweighs the down. Either way, drinking a pint in there as a shareholder/part owner will just be good fun.

I'm in.

From th website, dated today.

May 30, 2013 at 10:15 am: Not long left to buy your shares! Totals as at today?s date stand at ?122,000 pledged and ?109,600 paid. We have smashed our target but the more successful we are, the better pub we can deliver!