Newish homes in East Dulwich

For no particular reason, I'm wondering how many new homes have been built in East Dulwich since I moved here in 1996. I was out on an urban walk today and noticed a few new new-builds and it got me thinking.

The big developments I can think of are Altima Court on the site of the old Ford salesroom. And the houses where the old wood yard used to be on the corner of Barry/Underhill Road and the houses on the other side. The flats above M&S (both sites). The houses at the lower numbers of Upland Road which used to be shops.

I'm pretty sure we haven't added as many dwellings as we should have. 

Edited by tomskip

Add to that the block that was added up on Dog Kennel Hill, and the new block added near to the old Harvester near the South Circular.

However most of the additional residential space has been in rear and loft extensions.  More than half the homes around me have added a loft in the last 20 years.  Meanwhile the number of children in the area has dropped, as can be seen from the falling roll at local primary schools. Anecdotally, the four houses either side of me used to be occupied by 14 people including children, and they are now occupied by five people - two singles and two couples.   Families who need space aren't able to afford the houses that do have space, unless at least one parent is on a high six-figure salary.   Two 30-something couples I know would love to have children but can't afford to because they can't afford a two bedroom flat plus child care.

I think there are loads more children here now than there were even 5 years ago. 

Some new houses have been built on the site of various old pre fab bungalows. There's been lots of infill housing built around Friern and Barry Roads.

Lots of new houses going up where the Audi garage used to be. 

About 15 new flats went up in the space above the old House of Tippler.

And there're been various other new apartment buildings like the Old Police Station and the Tribeca and the block on Ferris Road.

Many new houses all over tbf.

7 hours ago, CPR Dave said:

I think there are loads more children here now than there were even 5 years ago. 

Some new houses have been built on the site of various old pre fab bungalows. There's been lots of infill housing built around Friern and Barry Roads.

Lots of new houses going up where the Audi garage used to be. 

About 15 new flats went up in the space above the old House of Tippler.

And there're been various other new apartment buildings like the Old Police Station and the Tribeca and the block on Ferris Road.

Many new houses all over tbf.

Maybe there are more teenagers, as the bulge works its way through the school system.  But primary school children and infants - definitely fewer than there were five, ten years ago.