Terrapin in Peckham Rye Duck Pond

We've seen them every time we've been to the pond / lake for 10+ years. I think they haul themselves up on to the coots' nests as they're some of the only places to get out, as the perimeter is like a foot high wall. I've seen a coot pecking at one to try to get it to vacate her nest, to no avail. 

Back in the seventies there was a health scare that terrapins (which were very popular pets then) could pass on diseases to humans, so they were dumped in ponds everywhere. I suspect this may be how these got here - they do live a long time!

Another question is how the huge carp(?) got in there too...

On 24/04/2023 at 15:46, fishboy said:

We've seen them every time we've been to the pond / lake for 10+ years. I think they haul themselves up on to the coots' nests as they're some of the only places to get out, as the perimeter is like a foot high wall. I've seen a coot pecking at one to try to get it to vacate her nest, to no avail. 

Back in the seventies there was a health scare that terrapins (which were very popular pets then) could pass on diseases to humans, so they were dumped in ponds everywhere. I suspect this may be how these got here - they do live a long time!

Another question is how the huge carp(?) got in there too...

Monks introduced carp into the UK in the 13th century as a food item, mainly to be consumed on Fridays