Terrapin in Peckham Rye Duck Pond

There have been terrapins in the Japanese Garden pond for years and years. Not sure, personally, about the main pond, but sure someone else will comment. Do you mean this pond or the larger 'main' pond?

HP

Edited by hpsaucey

They will have been initially released (by pet owners when they got too big to be kept), but I think they are feral and breeding now. This link suggests that whist at the limit of their range, they can survive and even thrive in parts of the UK, although, as I said, not being 'native' 

https://www.terrapins.co.uk/general-information/terrapins-in-the-wild/#:~:text=Terrapins thrive in brackish water,water mixes with fresh water.

51 minutes ago, rjsmall said:

The terrapins have been there for many years. I remember looking at them sunning themselves on the rocks when my daughter was small enough to go to the infants playground and that is at least seven years ago.

This. First spotted several of them around 15 years ago and they were there before that.

HP

Edited by hpsaucey

7 minutes ago, Kirsty7 said:

Nevertheless it is illegal to dump terrapins in the wild. They can introduce diseases and eat wild frogspawn, dragonfly, fish and even ducklings... 

Look out! Abandoned terrapins about | The Independent | The Independent

The park keepers used to be aware of them (assume they still are) so perhaps worth talking to them about your concerns?

15 hours ago, ydrmdy said:

I think you are right, but does anyone agree they are turtles, not terrapins?

Technically, terrapins are a type of turtle...

They've been around for years. Occasionally, they've been pulled out of Dulwich Park ponds as well. No idea if they're actually breeding or if it's always just a couple of pets that have been dumped.