Police in Nunhead cemetery

ydrmdy

I was approached today in Nunhead cemetery by 3 police men.  I was walking 2 dogs in an off lead area. They asked me if I was aware of where the dog walking areas were and whether it was clearly marked. I then saw 3 more at the Linden Grove gate and again on my way  out the Limesford Road gate were 2 more. Has something happened regarding dog walking does anyone know? There just seemed a lot of police around just to ask me about the signs.

Maybe it was set as one of their neighbourhood priorities regarding dog walkers and anti social behaviour in the cemetery. 

If that's the case then, Ken, they have been tasked by the public at the ward panel meeting so they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. 

But I didn't attend the meeting so can't say if that's the actual reason. 

16 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Maybe it was set as one of their neighbourhood priorities regarding dog walkers and anti social behaviour in the cemetery. 

If that's the case then, Ken, they have been tasked by the public at the ward panel meeting so they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. 

But I didn't attend the meeting so can't say if that's the actual reason. 

sorry you must be right it needs 8 police men to keep a eye on criminal dog walkers, lets hope you never need the police as they are doing a great job making sure the bad dog walkers go the right path 

4 hours ago, ken78 said:

sorry you must be right it needs 8 police men to keep a eye on criminal dog walkers, lets hope you never need the police as they are doing a great job making sure the bad dog walkers go the right path 

Three coppers might be overkill but off-lead dogs in the on-lead area have caused problems in the past with wildlife etc.

1 hour ago, hpsaucey said:

Three coppers might be overkill but off-lead dogs in the on-lead area have caused problems in the past with wildlife etc.

8 coppers did you not read the post ? and I do think it's overkill ...don't you 8 coppers 

12 hours ago, hpsaucey said:

Ooooh - you're pithy and/or riled? Hope you're feeling ok????

pithy ,riled....only at members that understand the post .....the co op in nunhead have a lot of shop lifters and when the staff phone for a copper guess what none available well you know why ....can you guess go on try ... ok i will give you a clue ....DOG WALKERS  so if i am  a bit as you say pithy and/or riled now you know why.... lets hope you never need the police 

On 18/04/2023 at 14:13, ydrmdy said:

I was approached today in Nunhead cemetery by 3 police men.  I was walking 2 dogs in an off lead area. They asked me if I was aware of where the dog walking areas were and whether it was clearly marked. I then saw 3 more at the Linden Grove gate and again on my way  out the Limesford Road gate were 2 more. Has something happened regarding dog walking does anyone know? There just seemed a lot of police around just to ask me about the signs.

Were they police?  I know PCSO's patrol Nunhead Cemetery.

3 hours ago, ken78 said:

pithy ,riled....only at members that understand the post .....the co op in nunhead have a lot of shop lifters and when the staff phone for a copper guess what none available well you know why ....can you guess go on try ... ok i will give you a clue ....DOG WALKERS  so if i am  a bit as you say pithy and/or riled now you know why.... let’s hope you never need the police 

Are you sure they are shoplifters in  the Nunhead Co-Op?  They might just be  customers who have given up on trying to pay, because as usual none of the machines work and there is only one person at the till!

3 hours ago, alexander2022 said:

Are you sure they are shoplifters in  the Nunhead Co-Op?  They might just be  customers who have given up on trying to pay, because as usual none of the machines work and there is only one person at the till!

so if you give up trying to pay for you shopping and you walk out with your shopping AS I HAVE SEEN that's ok well just ask any members of staff the amount of shop lifting is going on .don't trust what i say go in and ask if your that disbelieving ....

god some  people 

Sounds like they did a quick swoop to check on/inform dog walkers, no doubt due to some concerns from local people.  Sounds like pretty standard neighbourhood policing, many complain that there is not enough of this.  Hardly a story and don't even know why I am posting (probably because there isn't anything on EDF at the Forum and desperately not trying to respond to all the rabid stuff on Nextdoor.com

Perhaps those interested could check with the Safer Neighbourhood Team, local Councillor etc. 

• Like 1

Christ on a bike. I'm not the biggest fan of the police, but none of us have any idea why the cops were there. They don't sound like they were telling OP off for anything, and there's no reason to assume they were only there to tell off dog walkers. None of us know that they weren't simply there doing a bit of patrolling in between more urgent calls.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Christ on a bike. I'm not the biggest fan of the police, but none of us have any idea why the cops were there. They don't sound like they were telling OP off for anything, and there's no reason to assume they were only there to tell off dog walkers. None of us know that they weren't simply there doing a bit of patrolling in between more urgent calls.

ok the dogs can go in the cemetery on a lead but you can only let your dog off the lead on the paths to the right or left there's post with  marks on then as you walk up to the post if its green you can let your dog off when you come back the other side of the post is orange so you have to put your dog back on the lead. now if you don't the fine is £80 , so Dogkennelhillbilly i hope this sorts this out for you as you seem to have a vendetta with me as you HAVE SAID i talk a load old toot,,,,,and as i say DON'T JUDGE  PEOPLE YOU DONT KNOW 

Although this could be dog-related policing I know that there are also real problems locally with drug dealing - during the day a cemetery is not a bad place to set up your stall if you're a dealer, I'm guessing. So maybe cut the plod a little slack, unless you know for certain this is 'get-dog-walkers-week'.

Funnily enough I bumped into plod on a bike on Brenchley Gardens today.  I asked him what was going on as this was the most interesting thing being discussed on social media at the moment.  He said he didn't do Nunhead Cemetery but Peckham Rye and he would find out.  I told him not to bother.  I've had an exciting day today.  So it is not high police priority whatever the reason.

7 hours ago, Penguin68 said:

Although this could be dog-related policing I know that there are also real problems locally with drug dealing - during the day a cemetery is not a bad place to set up your stall if you're a dealer, I'm guessing. So maybe cut the plod a little slack, unless you know for certain this is 'get-dog-walkers-week'.

Are you having a laugh? 

11 hours ago, wordsworth said:

Are you having a laugh? 

If you mean about the increased incidence of drug dealing in ED, sadly no (and that includes outside (some) schools! The possibility that the cemetery is being used for dealing is speculation, certainly, but the very fact that you may consider it an unlikely venue might, for the less stupid dealer, be an attraction. Clients for drugs quite quickly find out where to buy. At the moment dealers parked in cars in suburban streets are quite visible, perhaps someone sitting on a bench in a cemetery less so.

I met 3 PCSOs at the cemetery last week handing out maps and emphasising the rules.  They told us about some complaints that have been made about dog walkers (not picking up poo, walking on key graves - war memorial etc - and about one old lady who was knocked over by a dog).  Increased presence and clamp down are in response to these compaints.  I usually let my dog trot along off lead around the cemetery as I know she is no threat, but I appreciate that the rules exist for a reason and if we want to enjoy the beauty and bird song of the cemetery while dog walking we just have to do as we are told.   There's One Tree Hill and Sydenham Woods near by for untethered wooded dog walking afterall

On 21/04/2023 at 15:22, Penguin68 said:

did you not read my post ??? or are you so disbelieving i did talk to them and was told READ MY POST 

ok the dogs can go in the cemetery on a lead but you can only let your dog off the lead on the paths to the right or left there's post with  marks on then as you walk up to the post if its green you can let your dog off when you come back the other side of the post is orange so you have to put your dog back on the lead. now if you don't the fine is £80 

Edited by ken78