Wagamama coming to East Dulwich

monica

• Administrator changed the title to Wagamama coming to East Dulwich

Fantastic, I love a Wagamama. I think there is room for both that and Yama Momo, completely different food and price points. 

I hear what you say DKH, I've been to some & the staff don't have a clue. I hope they get it right here.

• Like 2

We've been getting Wagamama deliveries from the Forest Hill kitchen, and they have been excellent.

But I hope it won't affect Monkatsu's trade, because I really like their food (though haven't tried the sushi).

8 hours ago, ken78 said:

your so right just what dulwich needs another food outlet 

Just out of interest, what would you rather see there?

Banks are closing across the country. As other people have said, I'd rather have the property being used and providing jobs than lying empty.

In a half-mile stretch you can get fish, meat, veg, bread, shoes, emergency pants, have a pint, buy a newspaper, inoculate your dog, get your teeth done, get your hair and nails done, drop off your dry cleaning, get a key cut, buy a book, pick up a prescription and  book your funeral.

I can't really think of anything Lordship Lane is lacking.

• Like 3

It will be great for the families and good for lordship Lane to have a business with a rent covenant as strong as the previous tenant.

I took hope Monkatsu is not affected. I've nit tried the sushi there either but last time I was in there a fishmonger from Moxons was inside eating the sushi so the fish must surely be top notch.

Moovart, I did mention banks. Rightly or wrongly they're seen as anachronistic now.

My point was that, other than a bank, what would Ken (and Wordsworth) like to see instead of another food outlet?

Here's a piece of research, ironically commissioned by NatWest to encourage the use of local businesses, on what 'Brits' want on the High Street.

It is a bit dubious that banks aren't mentioned.

1. Bakery
  2. Post office
  3. Restaurant
  4. Coffee shop/café
  5. Clothing shops
  6. Supermarket
  7. Cake shop
  8. Bookshop
  9. Local butchers
  10. Pub
  11. Card/gift shop
  12. Takeaway
  13. Library
  14. Hair salon
  15. Gift shops
  16. Patisserie
  17. Charity shops
  18. Deli
  19. Farm shop
  20. Dentist/Orthodontist
  21. Vintage/second-hand shops
  22. Cinema
  23. Arts and crafts shop
  24. Fishmonger
  25. Zero waste shop/refill store

I realise people don't often need a bank but there are times when they do.  I tried to bank coins at the post office after a charity event and the post office person told me to spend the coins and do a bank transfer because they can only take £20 worth of one denomination.   Ridiculous.  

I tried to sort out a joint account  and had to take ID to a bank because of the age of the account holders.

Third party access for an elderly person required face to face contact.

The reason banks are withdrawing from high streets is because it is profitable to do so.

The loss of Barclays has resulted in the loss of 5 cashpoints, 3 inside.  I imagine robbery and attempted robbery is far more common in outside cash points.

There continue to be services that require face to face contact in a bank and to not have one bank in a busy high street is a crying shame and a derogation of responsibility by big finance imo.

I agree;

We need a Bank.

Monkatsu is excellent as is Yama Momo.

I'd rather NOT have another chain and Wagamama went downhill long ago.

Dishoom is a chain that has great food or Ottolengi (Ok its expensive but they do do take-out options too)

I glanced at the menu of the new Swedish place and I saw a lot of...PIZZA options.

Not what I was hoping for at all.

We love Wagamama.

About time to see something reasonably priced and good value.

They also have an amazing vegan menu.

Those who have said they've had bad experiences, hopefully you've spoken to the restaurant? 

We have one by our office and they are top notch - super busy, lovely staff and the food is perfect.

17 hours ago, NewWave said:

I'd rather NOT have another chain and Wagamama went downhill long ago.

I agree that it did, and for a long time I avoided the restaurants for that reason, but if the recent deliveries we have had are anything to go by, it has got back to how it was when it started out.

We have had three or four and they have all been very good.

11 hours ago, Angelina said:

We love Wagamama.

About time to see something reasonably priced and good value.

Its no more reasonably priced than Monkatsu .

and The Ramen portions at Monkatsu are much more generous than Wagamama's Ramen.

I also find that the service is much better in a small independent cafe or restaurant than a chain where staff are literally lest invested in the business.

I feel Lordship Lane is becoming BLAND, Like every other high st in Clapham,Putney or Camden.

I think Peckham is now a more interesting offering for those seeking character and individuality.

Every district in London seems to be losing its individuality.

I spent 50years of my life in Notting Hill (before moving here 13years ago) and that went the same way.

Gentrification leads to homogenisation and the charm that leads to areas becoming 'fashionable' gets erased with the rising cost of retail rental.

Bang goes the Butcher the Baker (actually we seem to have A LOT of bakeries😂) and candlestick maker.

The Electrical repair shop, The junk shop the toy shop and in its place we get...

Joe and the Juice, Oliver Bonas,Wagamama,Gails, Bloody Meagans and the list will grow...

Rant over!

I think I should give up on London completely 😤