Queues at Eric’s Bakery

Monkey

That’ll be the investors, as the bakery was entirely crowdfunded.

— they were promised “freebies” at the opening.

Cafes/Bakeries like this don’t last. They’ll end up just like all of the rest that have graced us for all 5 seconds.

My advice, stop slapping paint & a name on vacant buildings. Do your research & learn why the previous establishment did not last.

Edited by ED Bird

The queue last Saturday, when Eric's opened, were locals and people who had travelled from all over London to buy products created by Helen (the former head Baker at Fluer) 

The "freebies" that were provided as the  crowdfunding were delivered in advance of the opening so from what I saw it was all paying customers. 

This morning there was again a queue of eager punters and long may those queues last.

If you did your research EdBird, you would know who is behind Eric's, what they are offering and possibly why they will do better then the last owner. 

There's nothing like freshly baked on premise goods to draw people in. 

Ken, if you go to Eric's Instagram site or their website and also look up HelenFluer on Instagram you will be able to see what's on offer for yourself, or better still pop in and browse.

I'm hoping, personally, it will do well and their croissants and wild garlic and cheese swirls are bloody delicious. 

• Like 3

I’d love to support a new business but I will not stand in a long queue unless it’s moving briskly. They should have separate lines for people who want to simply buy bread and pastries to take out and those who want hot drinks etc.

Callie, Eric's opens Friday at 8, Saturday at 9 and closes when they have sold out.

They are increasing production to match the amazing demand they are experiencing, but still proving so popular that they sell out quickly due to so many people visiting. After going again today I can see why it is popular.

Ruffler, if you have been In you will know that they are selling baked goods and filter coffee / tea (quick to make) so the concept of people slowing the queue down by buying hot drinks only that take a while to make (cappuccino for example) is an incorrect assumption.

The staff behind the counter are quick and efficient but just like william rose, a queue for quality goods moves as quickly as it can. 

On 14/04/2023 at 11:22, mrwb said:

Good for them, will have to check it out. Can't imagine they're creating extra demand for bread though?, presumably the customers come from the other bakeries in the area.

Most of the bread (and meat for that matter) market is held by supermarkets and convenience stores. 

@Ken78: if butchery is such a ripoff, you should open one up. (That is, after you've opened your cafe, as you've said before that's a high profit margin industry with easy money in it). 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Most of the bread (and meat for that matter) market is held by supermarkets and convenience stores. 

@Ken78: if butchery is such a ripoff, you should open one up. (That is, after you've opened your cafe, as you've said before that's a high profit margin industry with easy money in it). 

what makes you think i not already  done that ?? talk about judging people that you don't know, just some members are becoming a joke what do you think Dogkennelhillbilly 

17 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Mostly the amount of old toot you talk! 🤣

But, to be fair, okay, please do share more about your experience of opening and running profitable butchers and cafes. 

ok most REHCTUBS work on 55-75 % profit NOW YOU KNOW if you can work it out... cafes work on 80-95% why do you think that you have a lot of food out lets in dulwich and pay top rent its not rocket science ...just think about it 

11 minutes ago, ken78 said:

ok most REHCTUBS work on 55-75 % profit NOW YOU KNOW if you can work it out... cafes work on 80-95% why do you think that you have a lot of food out lets in dulwich and pay top rent its not rocket science ...just think about it 

This is almost certainly gross profit (basically profit as a %age of food/ beverage costs). It's the owners mark-up over the bought-in food and beverage costs. It ignores overheads (rent, rates and other taxes, insurance, capital costs of paying for equipment, heat, light and power etc. etc.) It may also ignore staff costs, though these may be treated as variable costs. For most competitive businesses (i.e. not monopolies) net profit will be around 7-15% - much less and the business will go bust, much more (over any reasonable time period) and the business will be competed out of the market. Many larger companies quote EBITDA (Earnings before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortization) but I doubt cafes bother.

• Like 1

and how any shops DON'T TAKE DEBIT CARDS and buy stock with cash and pay workers half on the books and the rest in hand this mucks up every thing what you said...........go to most chip shops or barbers its all cash and some butchers give you a so called discount if you pay cash.... the trick is always add 10% on their bill as you add it up THEN give a 10% discount  the tricks of the  trade is amazing 

11 hours ago, ken78 said:

the trick is always add 10% on their bill as you add it up THEN give a 10% discount  the tricks of the  trade is amazing 

Remind me not to go to any business you run Ken 

Do you also weigh down the scales with your fingers so the customer thinks they are getting more meat (weight) then they are, or substitute the type of meat you sold (Neigh I hear you cry) 

You sound one dodgy geezer mate 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Remind me not to go to any business you run Ken 

Do you also weigh down the scales with your fingers so the customer thinks they are getting more meat (weight) then they are, or substitute the type of meat you sold (Neigh I hear you cry) 

You sound one dodgy geezer mate 

You got it ..ever been to a chip shop and some times you get a load of chips then some time not to many and the fish is different sizes . The best one is a cafe a large tea ans a normal tea bigger cups but hold the same amount ..