Getting around as a musician in ED

Hi everyone, first post here so be nice[!].

I'm a young (17) jazz pianist living local(ish)ly (Grove Lane), and wonder what people suggest as to where I might be able to play a bit? I have a trio with a couple of other guys playing straight ahead stuff with most other things thrown in as and when. But the only time I have ventured down (up?) to The Plough I got a rather frosty reception, which has kind of put me off.

Any other musicians (or, for that matter, anyone else) in the area who might be able to point me anywhere at all?

Adam

Hi Adam. Well I'd say your doing the right thing approaching any suitable seeming venue. You keep at em something will stick.

have some cd's always ready like business cards..So they can check it out. You know theres always private functions. Parties etc so more people can hear what theyre gonna get if you have some cd's. Im my youth it was 'gotta tape?'.

Dont ever be put off by a frosty reception. You might be just what they are looking for at another time.

Welcome KindredHyperion (Dan Simmons reference?)

I wouldn't rule out the Plough - some people on here play there regularly and find them helpful so maybe it was an bad day at the office? Maybe some of the people who play there can help out as well

Elsewheer locally, I believe the Forest Hill Tavern do music from time to time and the Nun's Head have live jazz on Sunday afternoons (possibly more regularly as well)

Also the new manager at the Vale (darren?) has been on this board of late and I believe they have music going as well

The Ivy House is also another pub that seems to be advetising lot's of music

Best of luck (you could always come along to the Forum drinks tonight at the Magdala, meet some of the regulars on here and make some contacts maybe?)

Shame on you MacGabhann! Encouraging underage drinking before running off to the continent.

KindredHyperion (reference lost on me - sorry) I'd second the advice to try The Plough again, especially on an open mike night. I think the next one is next Friday, but keep an eye on the What's On section to be sure. I've only watched not taken part, but the open mike nights always seem to be really inclusive and friendly.

Sean's right, come along to the Mag tonight - for a lemonade of course - and you could have a chat with Keef who does a great job of organising the Plough nights.

Was thinking about your post kindred/hyp. cos, a friend gave me a cd by Jane Parker who is a local (ish) jazz singer. Shes pretty good. Very jazz. There are a few singers around, you would get more gigs and still be able to play in the style you like,with one on board. mix vocal toons with instrementals you could.

I have a bunch of friends who used to play impro modern jazz fusion whatyoumacalit at Cafe Cairo clapham north. had the place not burned down ....would have been a place to approach. But I'll contact them and see if theyve got any recomendations.

so yeah, saying, could be a singer might help.

Again, don't be put off by the frosty reception at the Plough, go to the drinks tonight and you could well meet Keef who's big band are looking for a keyboard player. You could get some experience and still do your own stuff. Just a thought but there you go. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Sounds like Keef is someone to speak to, and I'll definitely head down to the drinks tonight for a (non-alcoholic) beverage or two.

And thanks for the suggestions re: venues as well. Getting onto them as soon as I can.

A

Hi Adam, sorry I have only just read this thread, haven't been in this bit of the forum all week.

My friend Dems and I run an open mic at the Plough once a month, which is a good way to get started... We have had your usual singer songwriters, a couple of amazing solo guitarists, an awesome piano player, a blue grass group, and all sorts, so it doesn't matter what your thing is. Come along this Friday (16th) and come say hi.

Hi Keef, good to meet[?] you as others have recommended. I was going to try and get along to the drinks last Fri but something came up at home.

Sounds great though! I'll definitely try and get along. My normal bassist has got another gig that night but my drummer is only in Eynella rd so we might try and bring a bit of kit over. And who knows, I guess we might even find a bassist there who could stand in...

What kind of time will you be kicking off?

A