Dulwich College Sports Special in Southwark News today...

Anybody had a look at it yet?!

A full page on the past present and future of the College's sporting hopefuls including the new 14 year-old Barbadian captain Anthony Alleyne...

Thoughts here for Dulwich's top sportsmen / women...

Nick Hancock (They think it's all over presenter...) lived off of Lordship Lane once upon a time...

(Sorry typo... good job I'm no journo...)

The College gets a ringer in to its cricket side for a couple of years, the kid in question gets the education and opportunities. The only losers are Barbados and West Indies cricket which see kids they have developed up to the age of 15 get picked off, turned around and lost to them.

I'm not going to say these kids should be denied the opportunity, but let's be realistic about the College's own motivation here. Sporting success on the field plays well in the prospectus. And in the local press.

So the kid gets a potentially life changing opportunity, the college gets a chance to win a few trophies. Everyone's coo day lah, surely.

Does sporting achievement as opposed to sporting facilities/oppotunities really make a difference in choosing a school for your kid?

Everyone's coo day lah, surely

There is an issue about the leaching of talent from Barbados/ Windies - a country/ cricket entity that can little afford it. But I already said I'm not going to say these kids should be denied an opportunity - just pointing out it's not entirely unproblematical.

Yes success does make a difference in a school's profile, and some parents see it as evidence that their kids are likely to be nurtured to similar success.

Firstly, the thread was not supposed to be primarily about the individual or the article: more about the best sportspeople to have come out of Dulwich...

Secondly, taking boxers like Lennox Lewis out of Canada, sprinters out of Jamaica, footballers out of France, Australia, America and so on provides oppurtunities that are simply not available to them back home. In most cases, like Chris Jordan - currently at Surrey and who also benefitted from a Dulwich College bursary - have every intention of returning home to pass on their talents and provide a good example of the oppurtunities that are available through sport...

Take the thread as you will from here... just thought the 'favourite Dulwich sportsman' route could be fun and interesting... Dave Garland, Peter Crouch, Chris Dickson, Kenny Beaney (All former Dulwich Hamlet players) ... any more...

Chris Jordan is quoted in your piece as saying he thinks it would be "cool" if he and the Alleyne kid both played for England together some day.

So if he's set on passing on his talents back home, it may be as a tourist with England.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a rubbish thread.

>

> does anyone care what a load of spoilt priveliged

> kids get up to ?

Given your feelings and the very descriptive thread title, why did you read it then? (Personally, I wouldn't read the soccer threads in the Lounge because I don't care what a load of spoilt privileged kids get up to...)

snorky Wrote:

> What a rubbish thread.

>

> does anyone care what a load of spoilt priveliged

> kids get up to ?

Snorky.

Having read your comment, I felt somewhat annoyed at your arrogance towards private education. Up until last year, I was a pupil at Dulwich College, but was definitely not a ?spoilt kid?. As said in the above post, if you have such strong feelings regarding Dulwich College and/or public schools, why did you spend time reading and commenting?

Out of interest, what is your problem towards people paying for a better education for their child, if they choose to do so?

In the future, could you please either think more about what you?re saying, or just don?t bother saying anything at all, as I for one did not appreciate such a comment, (and the number of views/comments made on this thread proves that some people do have an interest in the topic).

I await your reply.

Regards.

Thomas.

I wonder, do they now have online debating societies at these bastions of privilege? Perhaps we're being used as a lesson plan.

My problem with you, thomas, is that you have acquired your elevated sense of entitlement because of money. Whether you were a bursary boy or not the foundation of your education is dirty cash and lots and lots if it.

Not only that but your school enterprise is supported through its charitable status. I read some bleatings from the private sector about how they are being harried into sharing their facilities with the local community. Don't see a lot of that round our way do we?

I don't doubt that the education you received was marvellous but celebrating success grown from such rich, ripe compost hardly seems worth it.

Of course you do well. Of course you should be pleased with yourself just don't expect the beggars at the gate to give you a further leg up and three rousing huzzahs.

There have always been haves and have-nots, there always will be. There are opportunities out there for anybody who wishes to take them, regardless of education. Some people are advantaged and privileged and some are not. Some of the poeple who are privileged do nothing with it and others who are not make a success of their lives.

I really think people should get off their high horses.

Why have a 'problem' with a kid who is privately educated. Surely the character is what matters.

Asset I think you are being very naive, or, perhaps, very optimistic in your assesment of opportunity.

Thomas seems like a very articulate and confident young man and good for him. But he should also look around him a little and realize that whilst much of his acheivement is down to character he had had a huge leg up and head start.

There's no doubt that the likes of dulwich college provide a high quality of education. There's probably things to be learned from that sector but it seems almost inevitable that they also reinforce a sense of entitlement and the idea that wealth is the same thing as value and worth.

That some fantastically well provided for children of the very wealthy do well isn't newsworthy or something to be celebrated. Of course they do well.

Thomas Wrote:

> macroban, would you mind explaining what is meant

> by your comment 'If it quacks like a spoilt

> kid...'

He's asked Macroban. I get the reference, but only fair to explain it to the person you directed it at.

macroban Wrote:

> My apoligies HonaloochieB. It was an

> over-estimation on my part.

>

> It is an allusion to what is now known as the Duck

> Test.

So it is Macroban, as I said I'm aware of what the Duck Test refers to.

It'd be good to let Thomas know why you referred to it in response to his post.

I gather he's a young chap, so give him the benefit of a reply.

It'll further his education.

macroban Wrote:

> I regret that I do not have a charging mechanism

> in place that enables me to do this.

You could simply answer and explain to Thomas, what you meant by your remark about him.

You threw it at him so why not explain it. To him.

From the unbelievably childish and immature comments posted, I guess it?s a waste of time pursuing matters further, although I would like to say the following..

Thanks to wikipedia, I have discovered the meaning of the past thread. If you are accusing me of being a ?spoilt kid?, you could not be any further from the truth.

Although you may find it hard to believe, I was brought up on an ex council estate in Peckham. My parents made the decision to send me to public school, as the local state schools were of a poor standard. From making that decision, they sacrificed some of the ?normal? things in life (eg: yearly holidays etc..). I am not asking for sympathy, nor am I asking for praise ? but if my parents decided to spend the money they work for on my education, I cannot see why that should interfere with anybody else. If you choose to spend your income on the luxury?s of life, then good for you - I would have no right in objecting.

Unless you actually bothered to see past your thoughts, you may notice that Dulwich is not full of rich, spoilt kids ? I am the first to admit that the occasional few are from a wealthy background, although I?m sure the same could be said when based on a state school ? but the majority are ?normal?.

I am still not 100% sure why you have a problem with public schools, and/or the pupils, but if you decide to grow up a little and explain, then I would be interested to read on.