Attempted Mugging. SE22

micky

Just to make Parents aware, my son has been subjected to attempted mugging outside the junction of The Gardens. Forest Hill road near Harris Boys School. 3 black Boys 1 black girl pinned my son down to the ground trying to steal his phone. Lucky enough a gentleman in a white van pulled over scared them off and helped him out.

My son has mentioned a white and black uniform which they was all in they was about 15 to 16 age.

That sounds very unpleasant. Please do tell your son's school, as well as the [police] Safer Neighbourhood Team. These kids seem to carry on doing this stuff until they're picked up - which they often do because they are not master criminals.

https://www.met.police.uk/area/your-area/met/southwark/peckham-rye/contact-us/top-reported-crimes-in-this-area

Not in any way to excuse or belittle what has happened here, but when my children were teenagers (20 and more years ago) such muggings were very common (and just as awful to suffer) - I can recall one (male) friend of my children reckoning he and his friends were mugged for phones every 3 or 4 months!

That sort of crime is far less now, it seems (phones aren't such a catch now, I'm guessing). Let's hope this is not the start of another upswing.

My younger daughter's phone was in such a battered state that when she was last mugged (the second or third attack she suffered) the mugger gave it back, urging her to persuade her father to get her a better phone!