Most Iconic Dulwich Locations

I originally posted this in The Lounge but people are suggesting it would be better placed here. Sorry for the repeat if you've read already.

---------------

Calling all East Dulwich Natives!

I'm a local travel and landscape photographer here in Dulwich and I would love your help please!

I am creating an East Dulwich Calendar for 2024 and am in the process of compiling a shot list of all the most iconic locations and visuals that would capture the heart and vibe of this amazing neighbourhood. I've got a starter-for-ten with locations like:

- the boxers by the East Dulwich Tavern

- the mural as you exit the ED station

- Dulwich Hamlet fc stadium

- Dulwich Park cafe on a snowy morning

- Cherry Blossoms off of lordship lane

- etc etc

But I need further inspiration, so I thought to myself, where better than this awesome community of local experts?

Are there any iconic spots, local characters, special stores or secret nooks that you'd like to see in an East Dulwich Calendar? What would I be remiss for not including? All ideas welcome and appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.

Dan Montalbano

www.danmontalbanophotography.com

p.s These are some of my other calendars, so you get an idea for what the final product will look like.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MontysCalendars

Here are a few:

- On a sunny day when the leaves are out, the outdoor cafe culture outside Spinach etc

- Saturday market on North Cross Road

- AJ Farmer

- Goose Green roundabout (palm tree and flowers)

- The wall in the Picturehouse cafe with the names of the original friends of the cinema carved into the wood panel (John Pienaar et al)

- Pitstop garage on Upland Rd, one of the last 'old businesses' in an ED back street. Featured in an early scene in the film Mona Lisa with Bob Hoskins & Robbie Coltrane (when it was called 'Upland Motors', I think)

- the villa, last remnant of East Dulwich Hospital that is soon to be converted into the 6th form centre etc of ED Charter school.

The view from, or of (as I think the building is iconic and I love the way it sits overlooking East Dulwich) Dawson's Heights is always a good one.

I have always also loved the juxtaposition of Peckham Rye on a summer day with the masses of people flocking to it from the urban conurbations encircling it on each side

The Queen and her Corgi's artwork.

The William Blake mural in Goose Green.

Dulwich College school building

The heart of Dulwich Village

Goose Green roundabout

Top of Dog Kennel Hill looking South

Dawson's Heights, shape of the building akin to a battleship

The architecture of the remaining Dulwich Community Hospital buildings

Dulwich library

The church steeple at St. Johns, Goose Green. Visible from so many different directions, as is the church steeple of St. Peter at the junction of Dulwich Common

Edited by jazzer

As posted on the Lounge thread - and acknowledged by Monty

I'd get this shifted to the ED issues part of this site as it is a local matter.

Dawson heights, and some of the views around Dawson heights would be good, Dawson Heights is very much a marmite issue, innovative social housing or a carbuncle - I'm the former but wouldn't like to be living in one of the roads parallel to this as it obstructs your view.

Some of the street murals are cool, and the topiary on Beauval Road

A must do is the house of dreams http://www.stephenwrightartist.com/houseofdreams.php

Camberwell Old Cemetery on the boundary another good place

[And agree on the other suggestions, including concrete house which I looked at for years in various stages of dilapidation and pleased to have an early viewing when restored - political warning think this may have been Southwark - yes it was! The illegal homage next door, by the developer who was happy for the concrete house to fall down, is not a suggestion]

As you come up Barry Road from Peckham Rye, there's a great view of the church at the top of the hill.

Must have driven up there hundreds of times and only really noticed it a couple of weeks back.

Dawson Heights is a good shout @Rockets. And I got the queen and her corgis the other day, i think she'll definitely make the cut. I could probably do a whole calendar on the murals of east dulwich tbh!

The view from, or of (as I think the building is iconic and I love the way it sits overlooking East Dulwich) Dawson's Heights is always a good one.

I have always also loved the juxtaposition of Peckham Rye on a summer day with the masses of people flocking to it from the urban conurbations encircling it on each side

The Queen and her Corgi's artwork.

The William Blake mural in Goose Green.

Love that view. Do you mean the one up by the Dulwich Library? I used to do that drive all the time too!

As you come up Barry Road from Peckham Rye, there's a great view of the church at the top of the hill.

Must have driven up there hundreds of times and only really noticed it a couple of weeks back.

Another vote for Dawson Heights. Interesting. Where's the best view of it do you reckon?

I got Dulwich College in the snow the other day. Sneak peak image attached ; )

850_4642.JPG.76d16c5288c92e922ba2f374ec365702.JPG

Goose Green Roundabout needs better weather I think, right now it's quite dull - but agree it probably needs to be in there its so central to the neighborhood.

Goose Green roundabout

Love that view. Do you mean the one up by the Dulwich Library? I used to do that drive all the time too!

Yes, it's the church at the top of Barry Road, so almost opposite the library. Can't remember its name but it has a cafe and a little fairtrade gift shop.

Edited by Sue

Another vote for Dawson Heights. Interesting. Where's the best view of it do you reckon?

850_4642.JPG

Goose Green Roundabout needs better weather I think, right now it's quite dull - but agree it probably needs to be in there its so central to the neighborhood.

Goose Green roundabout

Great picture, but it isn't East Dulwich is it? Or is it?

Yes a fair point, and I did think that. I took it thinking I might also make one for Dulwich Village too! :)

Goose Green roundabout

Great picture, but it isn't East Dulwich is it? Or is it?

The view at night on Underhill at the crest of the hill by Camberwell Old Cemetery looking North towards the BT Tower and the London Eye with all tall buildings illuminated with red warning lights.

Similarly there is a good view from Overhill Road of the O2 (formerly Millennium) Dome.

Kids playing on the astroturf behind the Hamlet football ground, or people hanging out in that s[ace before it disappears under flats.

And of course Dulwich Hamlet on a match day! Streams of people in DH scarves etc, always a great atmosphere.

Ok that's one I definitely didnt know about. Will have to check it out!

The view at night on Underhill at the crest of the hill by Camberwell Old Cemetery looking North towards the BT Tower and the London Eye with all tall buildings illuminated with red warning lights.

Similarly there is a good view from Overhill Road of the O2 (formerly Millennium) Dome.

Yes! I got a few of these the other day actually. Not sure the turf one will make the cut though.

850_4853.JPG.4c0497f1ee3e9ea75b33ba4f6ac3f236.JPG

850_4291.JPG.04181d1fe35025b87fa4c920492cb3c5.JPG

Kids playing on the astroturf behind the Hamlet football ground, or people hanging out in that s[ace before it disappears under flats.

And of course Dulwich Hamlet on a match day! Streams of people in DH scarves etc, always a great atmosphere.

That could be cool! Again, would need to be careful about taking and publishing pictures of other people's kids, but could work around that!

How about the skate park by the old Harvester?

When there are people there using it, obvs!

There is a little veggie garden at the back of it, too.