Wot do u want from ur library?

From East Dulwich's council forms page:

https://securesite.southwark.gov.uk/DeptForms.asp?dept=5

"This form is to get some understanding as to what the 11 to 19 year olds want from there libraries."

I was thinking they (the mysterious "the") might want some grammar from "there" council, but perhaps they just want CD racks where the literature used to be.

If one clicks through, one discovers that one can also "loan DVDs and CDs". I went and tried to lend some to people but they chased me out, saying it was a place for people to borrow stuff. Go figure.

Enough grumping now, thanks.

I popped in there yesterday, and was gobsmacked to see Kerry Katona'a "novel" on one of the promotional stands. OMG!

When I lived in Spain, I was surprised when I popped into a library (God I'm a nerd), to see...top shelf type mags in there.

god forbid a library provide popular novels to people who want to read them. how snobbish! library's are meant to provide the literature of all types (literary, pulp, classic, nonfiction, sci fi, children's, etc) not just waht you deem to be worthy.

Sure kerry katona's book might not hold the highest literary value in the world, but if it gets more people to start reading then good on kerry and her ghostwriter for at least doing a small something to make up for the evil of those Iceland ads and that scary looking reality tv show

carolyn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> god forbid a library provide popular novels to

> people who want to read them. how snobbish!

> library's are meant to provide the literature of

> all types (literary, pulp, classic, nonfiction,

> sci fi, children's, etc) not just waht you deem to

> be worthy.

>

>

> Sure kerry katona's book might not hold the

> highest literary value in the world, but if it

> gets more people to start reading then good on

> kerry and her ghostwriter for at least doing a

> small something to make up for the evil of those

> Iceland ads and that scary looking reality tv show

Carolyn, in principle, I agree with you, and of course I would never dream that the library should reflect my personal taste. And of course, you're right in saying that work without literary merit is fine, if it encourages people into libraries. I am aware that there is a lot of rubbishy chick lit and that kind of thing there, and I really have no problem with that, really. However...this was seriously seriously ghastly.