Sound proofing

Monkey

I live in an Edwardian building in the upstairs flat. New neighbours are often playing music. It was initially pretty loud and we’ve asked them to turn it down. They have but we can still hear it and it’s preventing us from enjoying our living room.

Has anybody had any luck with soundproofing? I think the noise is coming through the floor but also the chimney as I can also hear it in our loft conversion.

Thank you!

What flooring do you have in your living room currently? If bare floorboards that’s of course the worst,

What decibel level is the music as heard in your room? You can measure it on your phone. Something I was surprised to notice is even neighbour music at 25dB can be intrusive and annoying.

Be interesting also to know what dB the music is for them as measured in their room, though you may not have good enough relations to get them to measure it! But if they are going above 60-70 dB it’s likely to carry. Also, do they have a subwoofer?

We used a combination of SBX boards and Techsound matting from soundstop.co.uk laid over the floor. Great website as they have all the performance data for their various options. Hard work though, our delivery for a 2 bed flat came to about 1.4 tons and managed to injure my wrist pretty badly carrying everything up the stairs. As you point out it isn't perfect as sound also travels up walls/chimney breasts but helped a lot. Ours came to exactly £2k.