Cineworld/Picturehouse in administration

The film industry is in turmoil. The problem is a lack of good films to draw people into cinemas because Netflix et al are the preferred channels to release content.

Tom Hanks was saying the challenge for the film industry is a large chunk of their audience (teenagers) is bingeing on a diet of 20 second clips on social media and don't have the patience for films and how do you get someone to sit for 90 minutes when they are used to bite-size content clips.

It's a bit of everything I think. People have been predicting the demise of the cinema for as long as I remember, and I saw Ghostbusters when it was new, to give you an idea of how long that is. But things do seem a bit different this time around. Short waits before films are released to streaming sites, big home TV screens, Netflix, etc. just make staying home a more viable entertainment option than it was back then.

Until about 10 years ago, I used to go to the cinema nearly every week - we'd turn up, see what was playing and go to the pub if we didn't fancy anything. Our cinema (out of town) was a big 12 screen job so there was plenty of choice. I can't imagine going to the cinema now without having booked tickets in advance, and I think that's part of the problem as it's not a spontaneous thing any more.

The local just became a bit of a bit of a headache. They started charging extra if you wanted to sit in the back few rows, or for priority entry, and even for the top films at one point. They stopped you going in more than about 20 mins before the movie as they didn't want kids hanging around in the foyer, so you had to queue outside in the rain (but they had no problem letting kids disturb everyone once the movie started). They started showing the blockbuster movies in more screens which reduced the choice - obviously supply and demand, but the number of times that we just ended up going to the pub instead increased. In the end, it just fizzled out and we stopped going.

I've enjoyed going to the new boutique cinemas like Picturehouse and Everyman, but I only go for specific films, and even then it feels like hard work. And it's become too expensive to go to see random films just because you fancy going to the cinema. Maybe if they could do some simple things to attract the spontaneous crowd back instead of throwing millions at 4D VR megascreen experiences, it would do a lot for the film industry.

Personally I hope the picturehouse chain stays afloat as they are good local cinemas that help bring people into local town centres.

If they fold it will make the Golden Panacea of 15 minute places that much harder to achieve.

I agree that competition is there but cinema always reinvented and weathered the storm in the past and hopefully will do this time as seeing a film as it was meant to be seen is so magical.

Picturehouse has always been expensive. Peckhamplex is a fiver, and even the Odeon in Streatham has plenty of showings for £7-8 every week, esp if you sign up for their mailing list.

Rockets, pre covid I went to a screening of 2001 with the London philharmonic playing the music live.

Lots of long artistic scenes and a young couple (20 something) next to me said it was slow and didn't have fast paced action.

Shows how our viewing habits have changed.

It doesn't really, though. 2001 has always been criticised as being slow and ponderous - sorry, "awe-inspiring" and "atmospheric".

Besides, 2001 was released in the same year Carry On Up The Khyber was in general release in the UK. It's not like Kubrick was ever the only show in town.

Picturehouse (a chain) had problems pre-pandemic due to underpaying staff and generally being a poor company

We've always preferred Peckham Plex and still go, as we want to support them.

Each to their own. PH is a great asset and I hope it survives and thrives. It made use of dead space and opened up that section of LL to more footfall as well as provided jobs and business opportunities for contractors, etc. PP has no attraction for me - too far, having to endure ugly and unloved (by the council, at least) Rye Lane, small selection of films, annoying audiences at times (according to several sources of all sorts).

I do hope the Picturehouse survives and the workers are kept on, and I agree that Peckhamplex is a bit "you get what you pay for".

But a ticket tonight for "What's Love Got To Do With It", a general release film, at the Picturehouse is £14.90, and the same film at the same time at Peckhamplex is £4.99. You're looking at the thick end of fifty notes for a family with 2.4 children.

If it's a big stupid film that doesn't require reverent silence (Top Gun, animated films, sports stuff), I'll take my chances with Peckhamplex. If it's a quieter, more sensible film, I might go to the Picturehouse.

I do hope the Picturehouse survives and the workers are kept on, and I agree that Peckhamplex is a bit "you get what you pay for".

But a ticket tonight for "What's Love Got To Do With It", a general release film, at the Picturehouse is £14.90, and the same film at the same time at Peckhamplex is £4.99. You're looking at the thick end of fifty notes for a family with 2.4 children.

If it's a big stupid film that doesn't require reverent silence (Top Gun, animated films, sports stuff), I'll take my chances with Peckhamplex. If it's a quieter, more sensible film, I might go to the Picturehouse.

Spot on

Peckham Plex also let you take your own food (so long as it's not hot) and drinks.

Perfect for taking a bunch of kids or letting the teens go out and have fun.

Lots of great memories there and some great audience appreciation - it's lovely to hear people cheering a fantastic movie.

Several successful recent films are very slow yet have done well at the box office such as the Lighthouse. Happy to see them at the Plex and well done for their more arthouse repertoire. I expect visually they would be even more impressive at the Picturehouse. Just caught the very slow moving Power of the Dog on netflix, this really could have done with a much larger screen, and the scenery in part reminded me of seeing Brokeback Mountain in the Plex.

But very much agree with the fun of seeing audience participation as you get with faster paced films at the Plex

Went to see the free screening of Fire of Love at the Picturehouse, again slow paced (in terms of a plot) but visually brilliant. Thanks to the person who announced this on the forum

I think, Billy, that most of 2001 was setting the scene for the final 5 minutes. 😅

I saw 2001 when it first came out, and that scene with The Blue Danube in the background was excruciatingly overlong and boring even then 🙄

Does Peckham Plex pay its staff the London Living wage?

From the Peckhamplex website at https://www.peckhamplex.london/about-us

The majority of our staff live locally. There is a mix of full and part time staff that are guaranteed minimum weekly hours. Many are students and others have other local day-time jobs. Wages are above the Living Wage and in good times all have been bonused multiple times per year. There is a long tradition of supporting our staff and their families through the ups and downs of life.

We enjoy going for the occasional 'date night' to Picturehouse.

BUT Its so expensive!

we usually have to go at weekends (due to work schedules) and its £14 or £15 each.

thats a lot of money as we both aren't on big salaries.

If it was £9 we'd go more often and maybe even buy a drink before.

As it is due to the cost of tickets we go no frills no drink/popcorn etc.

We never go out in the west-end so I dont know how much west end cinemas charge these days but we do usually go to either ED picture house or the cinema in crystal Palace about once a month.

The new complex being built in Lewisham is due to have a 9 screen cinema!

I’m sure prices won’t be much different to our local cinema

It’ll be interesting to see how they get on!

There's also a 4 screen cinema opening at the Ladywell Playtower next year.