Cost of Loft Extension?

I have a basic poor standrd loft conversion with good stairs. It's a Victorian Semi. Not big, but might make two rooms and a bathroom up there.

Has anyone had a loft conversion recently and would be willing to give me an idea of costs please? I have limited funds but could do with more space. So I really need to know from the horses mouth what I can get.

You can DM me in confidence.

Your post suggests that you already have stairs and some structure from a previous loft conversion, if so and the work to date has been done to standard then the costs will be less than from an entire new build but standards, e.g. on insulation etc have moved on over time. The costs are normally based on square footage and the type of loft being converted. If there are conversions already locally on your type of house you may be able to guage what's possible from these, although local planning rules do change (for dormer windows, juliette balconies and so on).

But get quotes from builders or architects, any guesses on this forum will be precisely that.

We looked into a similar “upgrade” of an existing loft conversion but probably smaller scale to yours. We wanted a small dormer adding. Quotes were around the £70k level.

The fact that steels, stairs, plumbing etc, are already in place, count for nothing I’m afraid due to different building regs at the time of original conversion compared to now. All quotes were if starting from scratch.

Hi,

I run a local building company and we also advertise on the ED forum. I agree with the other posts that it all depends when the original work was carried out and does it comply with all current regs. I have a promotion on at the moment, offering a free bath-suite including tiles or a microcement finish, with every loft conversion booking! I can also help with upgrading to current regs. I have been working in ED for over 15 years and have carried out numerous projects. Please let me know if you'd like a free no obligation quote or just some expert advice and a friendly chat, happy to help.

Thanks

Michael

Urban Space Building & Plumbing LTD

h:02086702911

m:07956528763

w:[www.urbanspaceltd.co.uk]

Ours is now 5 years old, so I cannot comment on current costs. If your existing stairs are more than 10 years old, you do not have to have them redone. If your existing loft has steels, you might not need new ones, but a structural engineer would need to see it. If your roof is good, this will also help. We had ours done by an amazing local builder (as opposed to a loft conversion company) who worked with our ideas and added some of his own which we liked. His mantra was 'this is not a problem' whenever we raised an issue. Because he was not working to a template, we didn't have to have things done that we didn't need/want. However, unlike loft conversion companies, you will need your own architect and structural engineer.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...