GP services in local area

How can they all make things so difficult?

You have to contact them in the morning and then be available at there whim to receive a call.

Why can't you just make an appt at at specific time? Then everyone would be ready to answer as expecting a call around that time, I missed two calls that were made very close to each other and now they have closed the request for the day...and I have to start again on Monday.

I shall just remain in pain post surgery but hey ho.....

This is Tessa Jowell which I have just moved too from DMC, I was hoping for a caring, efficient service.

A good look at how GP services are delivered needs to be done. I am going to contact local councillors when I feel up to it.

Does anyone have a good easy to deal with Drs?

Contacting the NHS 111 helpline seems to be the prescribed course now, for all instances short of those where a 999 call or A&E visit would be fitting, where the GP surgery isn't contactable but help is needed. They can advise and assess, and I believe they can arrange access to Seldoc, for after-hours cases, or otherwise the Extended Primary Care Service, if they think it's needed. Both of those are housed at TJMS. Seldoc do home visits. I recently was able myself to see an EPCS nurse practioner late on a Sunday afternoon at TJMS, by appointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many, I have had real problems contacting FHRGP, and indeed am unsure that there are any doctors (as opposed to practice nurses, pharmacists etc.) who actually work physically out of the surgery at some times.

HOWEVER - I recently had a heath scare with certain worrying indicators. I managed to talk to a doctor on the same day (having held out for a receptionist in the morning misery) had appropriate tests within 24 hours (despite a mix-up at the surgery where I was told to leave samples in the wrong place!) - and was seen by a hospital clinic within 4 days (under the 2 week target regime).

Which suggests that, although things can be very clearly 'wrong' organisationally the basic principles still seem to operate - that scary things are handled perfectly well. Granted this was all at arms length by the surgery (and I still haven't actually seen a GP there in over 4 years!) and that all the heavy lifting was done by Tertiary (i.e. Hospital) services - but nonetheless, I can't actually complain that GPs aren't/ the practice isn't, doing its job - just not in the manner we used to expect.

(And, so far, no bad news, although one final test needs to be analysed)