Unopened medicines - charity?

alice

If you're talking about prescription medicines or anything you bought or picked up in a pharmacy, you should take them to any pharmacy for safe disposal. If you mean products you bought "over the counter" with no prescription, depending what they are, there may still be advice or limits on them that would usually be handled at the point of sale, so caution is needed. You could speak to a pharmacist for advice. Appreciate you're trying to do something positive and helpful, but please also bear in mind potential safety risks.

We tried to do this some time ago but the pharmacy were very reluctant to do so. Had prescription from Kings following an operation and had to inject myself for a couple of weeks. Took unused needles back to Kings Pharmacy who refused to take them , local pharmacy would not take as issued by Kings. In the end hubby had an OP appointment at Kings so just handed then over to nursing staff at the clinic.

I handed over lots of medicines, opened and unopened, to my local pharmacy when my husband died. No problem at all.

No charity would take prescription medicines. They are occasionally put into foodbank bins but not distributed, prescription or non-prescription. Prescription medicines are intended for the person they are prescribed for and no one else.

Charities have to meet the same regulations as shops. You might be trying to do a good thing but medicines are prescribed for a certain person once their health has been considered. Those who prescribe go through years of training and what works for one might not work for another or even for that person a year down the line. Take any medicines to a pharmacy for disposal and donate something that doesn’t risk hurting the person it’s donated too - if it poses a safety risk a charity won’t be able to take it.

Add something extra to your shopping and there’s a good chance there is a donation point in the supermarket - Sainsbury’s Dog Kennel Hill, M&S at the station and Co-op on Lordship Lane definitely have boxes you can put donations in and whatever you put in will go to someone in need.