Parking Charge notices this morning in Peckham Park

Hello - I would like to say how typically calculating it feels that the Parking Services swopped on cars parked on Strakers Road earlier today (between 11-1240pm). Many people were attending a children's charity fun run around the round flower beds near the gates at the cafe end. The car park was full so people parked along both sides of Strakers Road. Unfortunately (we now have the knowledge) it is an offense to park with wheels over the kerb. Many of us checked that there were no parking notices to say it was an offence to park there but mounted the kerb to ensure adequate passage of cars on the road. What a mistake!!! I even asked someone on a bike with a Southwark jersey was it fine to park there and was told yes... but wasn't told ensure yopu don't think it is best to park bumped off the road on the kerb.

In future make sure you park on the road and block any cars getting in and out of the park, particularly emergency services! Is that the position we should take. This is probably something that regularly occurs and Parking Services are taking advantage of the public in thinking it is better to make the road clear for passage.

Instead of the day being a happy event to raise cash for needed charities we have all been out of pocket to the Council. I would urge that the Councillors lobby to add notices to the site to explain the parking regulations... there are no lines along the road at all and no notices to say it is an offence to mount the kerb. Preying on people's ignorance has meant that Parking Services have milked in a considerable revenue today which is ill spirited to those attempting to do good for others.

Whilst I commisserate with you that you've been issued with a fixed penalty notice, I don't see why the Council should be expected to add notices to explain the parking regulations. Everyone has to read the Highway Code and is tested on it as part of the driving test - the Highway Code states very clearly that you can't park partially or wholly on pavements in London unless the road markings indicate that you can do so.

There was adequate passing spaces for predestrians as the green is adjacent and adequate pavement. I am not that irresponsible but unfort thought it was better to clear part of the road for passage (like many of the other drivers). Unfort many people parked to do a charitable event. Yes we have all been ignorant today in parking as we did and the Council have made a tidy profit. unfort I would have liked the money to have gone to the charities concerned than see the Council gaining a profit. I would like to see notices added to the area as in many spots people park partly off the road thinking that's safer. Will consult the online highway code now. Thanks

Sorry Maria, but that's the rule in London. Put so much as a fraction of a tyre on the kerb and you will attract a ticket. Take it as a lesson learnt the hard/expensive way. Most of us learnt it that way.

Highway Code https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-239-to-247:

244 You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs. Law GL(GP)A sect 15

GL(GP)A sect 15: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1974/24/section/15

Ian,

The last time this was discussed on the EDF I don't remember whether anyone got around to checking the legal status of Strakers "Road" and the adjacent "pavement" to confirm that it is subject to the legislation.

The Camberwell Borough Council Anuual Report 1905-1906 has the relevant information missing.

No doubt the borough engineers department will have the information at its fingertips.

John K

DJKQ, just tired of car drivers' expectation that their right to have absolute convenience and dominance of everyone else's right to peaceful and healthy enjoyment of public spaces should not be questioned.

After the tirades against cyclists, I've decided to 'Get on one' as often as opportunity allows in an attempt to challenge drivers' views on individual (selfish) car ownership and it's primary consideration in too many aspects of our lives.

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was a tweet from the Friends of Peckham Rye

> last week about this, saying Southwark parking

> target Strakers at the weekend. They do the same

> outside Belair Park when the steam fair is on.

Went to a charity event at Belair House (aka Beauberry House) a good few years ago. On Gallery Rd there was a small sign denoting parking allowed on pavement (2 wheels) however apparently it was only for a very restricted area right outside the entrance. In any event, playing follow the leader, everyone mounted the pavement (2 wheels) and parked. All except the ones directly next to the sign got PCNs. We successfully challenged this as there were no clear markings at the time. I recall that soon after this the signage and markings were revised.

I think LD it doesn't help the debate to meet the inane rants of the few truly selfish drivers, with equally polarised views regarding drivers. I agree that cyclists get a lot of abuse. But I am someone who drives and cycles...and sometimes I use public transport. I have also ridden a motorbike in the past. I can't do every journey I need to make by cycle any more than I can make every journey I need to by public transport.

We do have some of the safest roads in the world statistically from accident data. And no amount of legislation or planning is going to eliminate the idot driver/ cyclist/ pedestrian entirely. Instead, I just think we should be focused on addressing issues like congestion and finding ways to improve real genuine problems where they exist, rather than blanketly targetting all drivers, all cars, all roads etc.

John, from what I've seen about the very broad statutory meaning given to road, which can include bridleways and private roads, for some purposes, so long as the public have actual access, I doubt there's any mileage down that route, unless you can find some ordinance of Henry VII or somesuch that trumps everything. Additionally, "Urban road" is defined in GL(GP)A, s.15(12).

Are parking enforcement officers permitted or encouraged to be helpful, or is it strictly a money-making exercise?

Same thing happened to me in the same spot a few weeks ago. I genuinely had no idea of the rule regarding parking on the pavement and copied a number of other cars. So they made another decent profit then, must be a good spot! On that particular day the whole car park was taken up with film crews and catering vans. Just one of this things, will live an learn!

DJKQ who are you to decide what adds to the debate? My opinion differs to yours so it is somehow not helpful?

And saying the main issue (to you clearly) is congestion, when it is caused by too many people driving cars is beyond ironic!

Current views on people's right to drive a car anywhere and everywhere they please despite the subsequent loss of amenity, death & injury, pollution and health issues is unsustainable, undesirable and outdated.

When plans are drawn up for any major project, cars should not automatically be catered for by way of car parks, widened roads etc. there should be more emphasis on facilitating walking, cycling and public transport if you want to do anything to improve congestion.

By the way, I see DJKQ that since your bike is no longer your main mode of transport, your views on car drivers have changed dramatically. What a surprise?

Resorting to sarcasm now LD? :D

You have no idea what my ratio to cycling/ driving/ public transport is and there are very good reasons why people can't cycle everywhere. When I'm working I have to travel to studios well outside of West London....you don't seriously expect someone to cycle there do you? But you clearly never drive, nor have to travel any distance without good public transport links, so 'what a suprise' you are so anti driver!!!

My views regarding driving haven't changed at all. I will be the first to acknowledge there are bad drivers and poorly planned road schemes. I will also be the first to support promotion of cycling and safe routes to do so. What I will not do is agree with any view that is extreme and suggests that any person sitting behind a wheel feels they have the right to endanger lives (your words). That kind of comment is just ridiuclous.

If you want to ignore the need for good vehicle routes then that I'm afraid shows a deluded side to your debate. I think most people would agree that the best solutions are ones that accomodoate all needs in the best, safest ways possible, but even then, some people are capable of poor judgment and accidents. My argument is one of neither favouring vehicle, cycle nor pedestrian but one of transport systems that work for all users. And that may well mean sometimes favouring one mode over another in specific areas for very good specific reasons. Yours is one of demonising motor vehicles altogether - just not sensible, nor practical. A difference of view yes, but one that others can measure the common sense of.

Hi Maria,

you have posted your message in at least 4 places on this forum!

sorry about your fine. Strakers Road is a normal highway, I have checked this with Council Officers. Therefore you did contravene regulations for parking on the pavement. I would suggest that for future events you walk, take public transport or park near the park and walk there, if the car park is full. Normally signs are not placed on highways to inform people that they can't park on the pavements. I have asked whetherthis location could be assessed for signs or yellow lines.

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strakers Road is a normal

> highway, I have checked this with Council

> Officers.

Did the council officer (name?) provide any evidence to support this assertion?

John K

Regulations are there for a reason - Parking on the pavement is dangerous and causes inconvenience to pedestrians.

The better question to ask yourself, before getting all het up about parking, is did you really need to drive to Peckham Rye park in the first place? A large percentage of car journeys in London are of a distance that can easily be walked. This area is also blessed with good public transport - i woudl imagine that your journey to Peckham Rye park was probably less than 2 miles - a distance that could easily be walkd or covered by bus.