Child hit by car (she's fine), Lordship lane with upland

James just for once can you stop saying 'probably' to embellish your argument and just stick to facts.

You have no way of knowing what cars were doing before or after the reading. The statement clearly says AVERAGE SPEED 24.8 and 26.1 both of which are WITHIN the speed limit.

That a small minority might get one or two percent above the limit does not equate to a speeding problem. It just means a minority of drivers don't keep within the limit, which happens everywhere. And the simple way to catch those, is with speed cameras.

Where I do agree with LD is that our transport systems/ roads are not working as well as they should or could. We may not agree on the solutions or the shape of priority but there's enough evidence to point to problems in the future just getting anywhere. On that I can agree.

I live right where this incident occurred. I did not see it. I know drivers speed there. Most curiously is how when I cross drivers don't slow down, there is a bizarre calculation that my speed will continue as it is and they'll scrape by behind me. I have noticed this phenomena virtually 100% of the time. Drivers don't even take their foot off the gas pedal. They just assume people never fall over or in any way change their speed. On Friern just at LsL I was 3/4 across the road and a car sped up and passed in front of me scraping through in what the driver must have thought was a great calculation.

The cement island is in any event horribly placed with no thought to turning vehicles. A turning car stops traffic and as in a car humans lose any semblance of courtesy this means a queue of furious drivers who cannot see and only imagine gross incompetence on the part of the first in the queue.

I drive. I know what DJ does to Sheppardton. My son did this trip exactly by train from Waterloo. It's not that frequent but amazingly it stops at the door to the studio. You must carry stuff and you need to be flexible. It is a car trip in all likelihood...albeit a horrible one that must leave you frazzled. As an aside you must be a wonderful and a very interesting person.

I know we're all on the same side but this nurtured illusion that we're not is what fuels bad politics.

On the point of the parking tickets issued in PP. I know, yes the verb is KNOW, that parking skates a thin line with how SOME tickets are issued. It is illegal to have quotas. But they do. Of course parking has to be regulated for all sorts of reasons. But tickets should be regulated by courtesy and it should be a social learning exercise in most instances not a money spinner which is what it is now. To ticket parents who took their kids to football and other teams could... could tip some families over a financial edge/ wreck a weekend/ hurt marriages and partnerships/ make children feel guilty. A warden should be posted there on a weekend explaining why parking should be certain way. And / or parking should be improved.

What is really dangerous is what happens in front of schools every day. I have NEVER seen a warden at the school on my street.

A repost from the 20mph thread, but thought it very relevant for this one too.

Good news, looks like Southwark is going ahead with 20mph on Lordship Lane:

[www.southwark.gov.uk]

"Persons wishing to object to or make representations in respect of the proposal should send a statement in writing stating the grounds of their objection or representation by e- mail to [email protected] , or by post to ?Traffic orders officer, Public realm projects, Southwark council, Environment and leisure, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX?, quoting reference PRP/PD/TMO1314-005, to be received no later than 06 June 2013."

Thank you !!

I lived here for over 20 years , my family still live there .

Speed is a big issue there and the drivers mostly don't slow down and I have witness enough accidents and heard enough brakes screeching to last me a lifetime .

Do you think moving the crossing to between frien and Upland Road would be more effective ?

Mynamehere Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I live right where this incident occurred. I did

> not see it. I know drivers speed there. Most

> curiously is how when I cross drivers don't slow

> down, there is a bizarre calculation that my speed

> will continue as it is and they'll scrape by

> behind me. I have noticed this phenomena

> virtually 100% of the time. Drivers don't even

> take their foot off the gas pedal. They just

> assume people never fall over or in any way change

> their speed. On Friern just at LsL I was 3/4

> across the road and a car sped up and passed in

> front of me scraping through in what the driver

> must have thought was a great calculation.

>

> The cement island is in any event horribly placed

> with no thought to turning vehicles. A turning car

> stoaps traffic and as in a car humans lose any

> semblance of courtesy this means a queue of

> furious drivers who cannot see and only imagine

> gross incompetence on the part of the first in the

> queue.

>

>

Err I drive up and down it so many times a week I can tell you I never get above 15mpr ......or is an onboard speedometer not as good as DB stood at the pavement claiming cars go 'too fast'......?

And I don't see any experts I'm afraid.....just civilian viewpoints, some based on hard evidence, others not.

Told you!

The thing is the Council will have used measuring equipment 24 hours a day for a week or two to identify any speed problems. Car Speedos are notoriously inaccurate. And they will have to monitor after installation to prove or not the efficacy of the works. And hopefully the environment will be safer and more pleasing for everybody (except Killer! it seems)

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> Ha ha ha ha!:)

And you, luckily, had a hi-tech laser speed gun at the accident?

One that has a single reading of 'Too Fast', I presume? Even when pointed at a tree.

You sound weighed down by that almighty big chip on your shoulder .

Loz Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ha ha ha ha!:)

>

> And you, luckily, had a hi-tech laser speed gun at

> the accident?

>

> One that has a single reading of 'Too Fast', I

> presume? Even when pointed at a tree.

The council have mobile camera equipment to measure traffic 24 flow e-dealer and I've seen that in use - usually at juntions to collect data for calculating light phasing needs, but speed data is not collected that way and certainly not 24 hours a day. The only devices that operate 24 hours are designed to catch speeding motorists and they need to be painted yellow by law. But by all means, link us to the automated 24 hr hard data collected by the council if you think otherwise.

More on traffic count data in a nice pdf here

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3056/transport_data

And an excel sheet for average speed counts accross the borough over recent years, which shows a an awful lot of average speeds that are within the set limits for those roads.

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> You sound weighed down by that almighty big chip on your shoulder .

Did you get the 'Big Book of Really Poor Comebacks' for Christmas or did you write it yourself?

You are not silly. We might not agree on this issue but I wouldn't belittle you or your job or your intellect because of that. I do many things with my free time and a lot of it is voluntary work for my local community, so I do my bit for a better world. And maybe it is because I see poverty and inequality as more impotant issues than transport that I don't place the same importance on an issue you are clearly passionate about.