Gala Festival extension for 2023 - area of park proposed to be closed from May 16 to June 10

Lollipop

Here’s the email

Hello everyone,

Please see below for an update on the current status of the proposed weekend 2, for Gala Festival (Gala Presents).

The decision has been made to not continue with the plans to deliver these events in 2023. Discussions with Southwark began in Summer 2022 about the possibility of hosting a second weekend of entertainment in Peckham Rye Park, billed as ‘Gala Presents’. The concept for this second weekend was never intended to be simply a second weekend of Gala Festival, but two evening concert-style events followed by an inclusive family-focused day. This second weekend would utilise the infrastructure already in situ for Gala.

'Approval in principle' to progress our pre-application proposal, to a full event licence application was given in December and planning for the second weekend began in earnest. However, the challenges of developing the concept, booking the performers, procuring the suppliers, producing the necessary documentation and satisfying ourselves that the events we would deliver would do the brand and location justice, were considerable.

As the organisers of Gala, we are committed to putting on the best events possible, focusing on local suppliers and promoting local talent to deliver amazing experiences for our audience. The challenges listed above meant that we were not convinced that the second weekend would meet our own high expectations and as such we have made the decision to not go ahead with ‘Gala Presents’ this year.

However, we do aim to produce these events in 2024 and beyond. As such, we will be continuing with the Premises Licence application process (that if granted, will give us permission to host 6 days of entertainment per year).

The additional planning time will allow us to develop the concept of the second weekend (particularly the family day) in a much more inclusive manner. We’ll be organising several stakeholder and resident consultation sessions to take on board feedback and incorporate ideas into the content for this second weekend.

Many thanks,

The GALA Team

Reading between the lines, this appears to be an acknowledgement that it's not been well thought out, with maybe an unexpectedly high level of opposition, so possibly won't gain permission at the moment.

But in true corporate style, and with a complete lack of consideration for the local community, they'll spend more time and money trying to spin, persuade & PR everyone into thinking it's a great idea next year and forever more.

I would still like a definitive answer from someone as to why it isn't held on the common, where all the other large events (Circus, Funfair etc) have always been held, without issues?

It is a relief, but the barriers will still be going up for a couple of weeks, the grass is still going to get churned up, the litter will still be spread far & wide, the wildlife will still be disturbed, the noise will still be barely tolerable. The pleasant & peaceful community atmosphere will still be shattered on what should be a lovely summer weekend.

How did it ever get permission to be held here?!?

I think there will be all sorts of spinning and machinations to make the extension happen next year so we do need to stay vigilant.

Remember, Southwark want the money so they can burnish their free community events tick box. That is what this is really all about.

The fact this has been framed as park 'improvement' is laughable.

Just a reminder for those who object to the extension of the event that the deadline for submitting an objection to the premises licence is tomorrow - Monday.

Extract from the link to the council's website (given by 'fishboy', above, on 8th Feb)

"Please note that the Premises Licence application process is different to the Event Licence application process. A premises licence permits the provision of regulated activity at a premises, whereas an event licence allows the use of a premises. The premises is an area of Peckham Rye Park in this instance.

If you require more information about the premises licence application, please check the Blue notices which have gone up around the park for details or check the Licensing Register or contact the Licensing team directly: [email protected]"

Just had an email, the second weekend is not going ahead! 😀

However they are still planning to put the application in for the following year. We need to keep the pressure up. Contact your local councillors, MP etc…

Do you know who should have got that email? I objected via Southwark but didn't get it. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the reminder about objecting to the licence application as well. Does anyone have any suggestions as to wording?

Could not see where issue was raised or answered.

Cllr Rose gave a long, defiant speech supporting events in parks.

Interesting to see Council politics play out. Really unedifying actually. For most involved it just seems a great game, however much they go on about their values and visions.

I know what you mean, the assembly meetings are particularly painful to watch.

Written answers are here, including cost of events team and contribution to parks budget.

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/b50015311/Tabled%20Items%20Wednesday%2022-Feb-2023%2019.00%20Council%20Assembly.pdf?T=9

ETA , I’ve just seen that some Labour councillors on the overview and scrutiny committee have “called in” the council’s decision to demolish and rebuild the Abbey field estate on grounds relating to inconsistency with the council’s visions / policies on housing and climate change strategy ( one of the councillors is Cllr Pollak who was formerly in charge of the housing portfolio I think). That’s a positive development in terms of local government democracy! https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=7390

Too much grandstanding and back slapping for my liking, what with Cllr McAsh' references to himself and SLP being a latter- day Robin Hood, taking from the rich to give to the poor; Cllr Smith's bizarre turn on memories of wholesome school dinners in the 50's as his justication for approving the budget, and Cllr Rose... She had to be closed down by the Chair.

Thanks LA for supplying the written answer to the events question. The answer was rather vague, I felt, on benefits to the park and also on the size and costs for the events team.

Going back to the Gala Zoom, one thing that grated was their stat that there were only 9 complaints during the festival. I think a lot of people (myself included) didn't call the hotline as they had resigned themselves to three days of disturbances, and felt nothing would happen if they did. Or they went away to avoid the whole thing, which is also a stat that should be recorded!

But it's now clear that if those stats are being used as evidence of an overwhelmingly content local population, then this year they should more accurately reflect the true picture. As such, I hope everyone fully utilises the hotline to report any festival related disturbances, no matter how small, from the first day of set up to the last of break down - or beyond, as is likely with the inevitable state the site will be left in...

I'm fairly sure the much mentioned hourly sound / noise level readings will be taken at ground level beyond the (now much higher) hoardings, which probably dampens & reduces the readings. I'll be curious to know what the readings are from, say, a second floor flat facing the park, and will be requesting these more realistic readings on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add to this the relationship between urbanisation, loss of access to green and quiet environments, and stress.

We really have to think carefully about losing green, quiet spaces for regular noisy, consumer events (pushing alcohol). Again, there are other, multiple venues for this, if people want it.

The Council are not trying to improve the health of residents or improve the quality of parks. They simply want another revenue stream.

Can anyone help me understand this para of the council report:

'In the previous financial year (2021-22) commercial events brought in £171,000 in revenue and the projected end of this financial year (2022-23) total revenue is £266,000. It is worth noting that previous year was impacted by the recovery from the pandemic which will account for some of the significant difference. The total budgeted costs of the events team this financial year (2022-23) was £244,000.'

So am I right in thinking that the council events team brought in £266k last year but the cost of the team itself was £244k? So we're losing all this use of our parks for the grand sum of ... £22k? Have I interpreted that correctly?

I read that as saying that the cost of the entire Southwark events team, which organises and puts on all the Southwark events that are publicly available for us to attend was £244k which was entirely met by income from commercial events with £22k left over.

So the commercial events are paying for Southwark to put on all the other events which we would otherwise either pay for from council tax or simply not have available to residents.

With the budget challenges all councils are facing they will be very keen for teams like the events team to be able to self-fund, and I suspect ultimately, keep themselves in employment as I am sure those types of services are the first to get cut when councils look to reduce spending and that £244k would likely include the salaries etc of the events team themselves (as well as the events they organise).

I would agree with paying more tax and for the council to focus on getting the basics right; road and path maintenance, waste collection etc.. as for free events, I am not really sure why the council need to offer these. In times of plenty then fine.