Window Cleaner Scam

I got stung by the window cleaner scammer today ( Upland Road ) Even though I had read the notes on the forum I fell for it as he said his name was Tony. I assumed he was the bona fide Tony. He was very persuasive and appeared totally plausible - and still operating in this area.

Sarah

The real Tony would never take money upfront (nor would any reputable window cleaner) - and he is well aware and totally pissed of by this guy himself.

Real Tony drives a pale green metallic Mondeo estate with his ladder(s)on top (which we sold to him!)

We had a note posted through the door this week saying 'Windows cleaned, ?30 to pay' (about ?6 a window unless they vaulted the fence to the back). Will wait and see if anyone shows up to collect.

Our windows are cleaned monthly by a girl called Kelly and her brother (I think it's her brother!). They do our windows and most of our neighbours - we're on Upland Road. I'm generally in when they come, so I know they're actually doing the job... and if we're not in they leave a note and come to collect the money the following weekend.

Unfortunately I can't find her number, but will ask next time I see her.

They charge ?5 a time, which is for the front windows of our house.

That probably Dave's Window cleaning service which is now run by his daughter (though he often does the door to door if you ar out when the windows are cleaned. They have done ours in Nunhead for years and know that they cover East Dulwich

Number is 0778 7728 766

• 3 weeks later...

We had someone knock on our door last night asking for Mr. CamberwellOz by name and said he had a booking with him at 7.00pm. I asked him... he said he didn't know what this person was talking about. Something about double glazing? We ignored it and they didn't knock again. About half an hour later, they called our landline and asked why we wouldn't let the guy in for the 7.00pm meeting.

Dodgy.