Street bins disappearing

bonaome

Several street bins have been removed.

There was a bin ...

- at the corner of North Cross Road and Lacon Road - gone

- at the corner of North Cross Road and Fellbrigg Road - gone

- outside the parade of shops on Whateley Road - gone (and now the dog poo bin opposite is overflowing with normal rubbish)

- on the corner of Upland Road and Crystal Palace Road - gone

- on Lordship Lane by the traffic lights outside Spinache - gone

Anyone know why? Or how / who to contact at the council?

Apologies if there's another thread - I looked but couldn't find one.

I’d go straight to the councillors; the people who work in the environmental team tend to fob you off on things like this. They also removed the bin outside coop and the coop have put a bucket outside to compensate but it’s permanently overflowing. And I don’t think any of these changes are temp, as someone else said, they’ve cut right back on resources and probably don’t want to have to empty so many bins as overflowing bins prompt complaints which show up on their stats. People are probably less likely to complain about dispersed litter on the ground than overflowing bins.

The article is more than 12 months old. It’s possible that the council has reinstated some of the street cleaners. Possible, not likely, but still possible.

The online reporting system works well, in my experience. As long as you’re specific and provide details the problem gets dealt with within 72 hours and often before.

In my experience it depends on the nature of the request. If you’re asking them to remove a flytip it works, if you’re asking for a permanent increase in resources (which more bins is), they fob you off and you need councillor support. When you flag a bin that is routinely overflowing, the standard response is that they can’t empty more frequently it because they don’t have the resources to do so.

I pick up cans and bottles regularly just while walking from A to B. I’d prefer it if barbarians didn’t drop litter in the first place and if the council had omnipresent street cleaners and twice the number of litter bins but I’m a realist. If the littered can or bottle looks too grubby I leave it and I wash my hands or use alcohol gel afterwards.