Quick Question - Bellenden Road to ED train station

Strawbs - I would guess most of us on here don't live "close" to LL - or at least probably not the buzzy end you mean

For me it's really not a deal-breaker - in fact I now relish the 15 min walk down to "the strip" - and Bellenden Rd is pretty handy for many things I would say. Don't underestimate the value of being close to Peckham Rye station - as Alan points out the range of destinations can be very useful

yes, bellenden area is fab - and Peckham rye station is really good. We moved to the top end of lordship lane and do miss the proximity to the station. Bellenden road is much closer to lordship lane than alot of east dulwich

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If proximity to LL is your main concern then don't

> forget the southern areas of Camberwell.

>

> Ivanhoe road, Grove hill road, etc. All close

> enough to LL but with the added benefit of Denmark

> Hill train station on the doorstep.

and East Dulwich Station even closer, for those "can't face the walk over the hill" days!

If Im honest safety is really my prime concern and it could be unfounded but I think I'd feel alot safer walking from ED station than from PR.. Again please tell me if you think Im wrong.. Also I do love the buzziness of LL as in near Goose Green but of course Im sure every man and their dog wants to live there..

I have driven through Bellenden loads and quite like it its just the walk that puts me off...

:))

I live off Bellenden Road Strawbs, and as a small young (ish) woman who regularly comes home late at night by herself, I would say that I feel very safe walking from Peckham Rye station - and actually far safer than walking from East Dulwich station.

The fact is Peckham Rye is a busy station but more importantly it is very busy on the actual street - at all times of the evening. As you walk along from outside the station to Bellenden Road - you pass hairdressers which are open until midnight (I'm hugely envious of the sisterly gatherings that appear to take place inside these places - women having their hair done, gossiping til the small hours of the morning); then there's Bar Story where there's always people - and so that small walk to Bellenden Road is full of people - far better than the trek from East Dulwich station which whether you go via Dog Kennel Hill estate or walk down to Oglander, is far more residential, far quieter, and actually scares the hell out of me.

And Bellenden to LL is ten to fifteen minutes walk - depending on where you are on LL.

Driving through an area in your car is one thing ... but why don't you come and spend a Saturday afternoon in Bellenden - have coffee in Petitou, browse for books in Review, buy a frock in Fenton Walsh, go for evening drinks in Bar Storey, - that's how we (I) decided, by actually sitting down, taking a moment and saying - how does this area make me feel?

I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I walk to and from Pekham Rye station every day through the back roads in the "Bellenden area" and it's completely safe (for London - plase note).

You'll get a bit more for your buck in SE15 than just off Lordship Lane (though not much more these days), the walk is pretty minimal, you have the Gowlett, Montpellier and Bar Story on your doorstep and Peckham Rye station is much better connected.

If money is tight, the shops on Rye Lane have some of the best bargains around. I'd urge you to consider it. See me at the forum drinks if you want to know more.

I used to live half way between PR and ED stations. When I first moved to the area I would always wait for an ED train back from London Bridge, even though there were some that only stopped at PR leaving before the ED train, because I didn't feel safe. However, I started using PR station more as it had the benefit of coming in from Victoria as well, and soon decided I felt much safer coming back from there than ED - as Bellenden Belle says, there are shops open, more people around and for where I was living, meant I didn't have to walk along Grove Vale which is fairly empty and dark at night. Another big bonus for PR station is that there are usually staff there until abot 10 - 10.30pm.

Now I live up by Peckham Rye station and I love it - there's always people about, and I feel totally safe living there. I'm young and female and as my housemates will testify, a complete wimp, so I don't think there's anything more to worry about at Peckham Rye station than there is anywhere else in London.

Agree with all the positive coments about Bellenden and PR station. Hoping to move into the area within the next few weeks having decided on Bellenden over ED. I looked at stacks of property in ED which was at least a 20 minute hike down to ED station and around 15 to the lively bit of LL. I reckon I'm closer to both in Belleden village! Plus I'll have the added bonus of Bellenden Road and PR station. Can't wait to move!!