Dog left outside barking all day - Donkey Alley

froggy

Has anyone else noticed the poor dog barking continuously on Donkey Alley (I assume it's kept outside of its house)?

I've heard it before during the day and was concerned then (assume it's left outside when the owners go to work?), but surely in these temperatures this is abuse?

Anyone has any insight?

Thanks!

I walked down Donkey Alley about lunchtime this morning and saw two council workers peering through a hole in the fence where the barking dog is. They told me that they were from the noise nuisance team and had received complaints about the barking. The dog at this time was proving the point by barking for England. I confirmed to them that yes, the dog barks a lot, even when I'm walking past at night. So anyway, looks like they're taking it seriously.

I walked down Donkey Alley about lunchtime this morning and saw two council workers peering through a hole in the fence where the barking dog is. They told me that they were from the noise nuisance team and had received complaints about the barking. The dog at this time was proving the point by barking for England. I confirmed to them that yes, the dog barks a lot, even when I'm walking past at night. So anyway, looks like they're taking it seriously.

There are two separate issues here:

The cruelty of leaving a dog outside for long periods of time in sub zero temperatures

and

The annoyance the dog's barking is causing to nearby residents

Does anybody know whether council workers from the noise control team would liaise with appropriate council teams or external organisations about the cruelty aspect?

Because it seems to me that the dog should be taken away from whoever owns it, if what has been posted on this thread is accurate.

It isn't just the noise aspect which needs to be taken seriously.

It's also rather sad (in the original meaning of the word) if people nearby have gone to the trouble of contacting the council about the noisy barking, but haven't contacted (say) the RSPCA about the neglected dog.

I really hope I am wrong about that.

There are two separate issues here:

The cruelty of leaving a dog outside for long periods of time in sub zero temperatures

and

The annoyance the dog's barking is causing to nearby residents

Does anybody know whether council workers from the noise control team would liaise with appropriate council teams or external organisations about the cruelty aspect?

Because it seems to me that the dog should be taken away from whoever owns it, if what has been posted on this thread is accurate.

It isn't just the noise aspect which needs to be taken seriously.

It's also rather sad (in the original meaning of the word) if people nearby have gone to the trouble of contacting the council about the noisy barking, but haven't contacted (say) the RSPCA about the neglected dog.

I really hope I am wrong about that.

Agreed. In fact I called the RSPCA to report it but (after asking me if the dog had shelter, and what condition it was in - which I could not answer with certainty) they advised me to raise a noise complaint with Southwark who (they said) would contact them if they witnessed cruelty to an animal.

My feeling is that Southwark's noise complaint team didn't agree though, or at least they were a bit more cautious.

Constant barking from a dog left outside in freezing temperatures in itself doesn't seem to qualify as cruelty to the RSPCA. Unless someone can provide further evidence of cruelty to the RSPCA (I can't as I can only hear it), it's a noise complaint to them and they won't investigate.

Constant barking from a dog left outside in freezing temperatures...

Dogs are bred from wolves, who certainly know how to cope with freezing temperatures. Guard dogs are often left outside (with an open kennel shelter) - and are able to move from shelter into a space being guarded. This is not actually active cruelty. Certainly house pets left on their own may bark, but may also be able to get into shelter (if they're outside) when they choose to. Indeed, if your garden is secure, allowing dogs to get into it, if they also do have shelter, is probably less cruel than locking them up in a house, with no access to the outside.

Which doesn't make constant barking any less annoying to neighbours.