Barclays Local at The Lordship Lane Surgery

Barclays local is now at The Lordship Lane Doctor’s Surgery.

Such a weird place to run banking advice alongside medical professionals.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/branch-finder/

‘Barclays Local - Where you will find a friendly face to come and talk to us in your community.

We're here to help you with anything from money management and financial health, to improving your home or supporting your business.

Walk in appointments might be available, and you can book an appointment at barclays.co.uk/local

There are no counter or cash services available at this site. For nearby Post Offices, ATM's and other cash services visit link.co.uk/consumers/locator’

56E88FC6-42D2-4467-AD71-ECD6D0656073.thumb.jpeg.02d3d28917a4d56566c188245544a58a.jpeg

I got a text about them moving into the LL Surgery earlier this week. They're open by appointment from 10am-5pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Sessions can be booked online or via phone.

I suppose if Barclays reject you for a loan, you can at least book an appointment with the GP!

Brilliant idea. Not!! To bring healthy people seeking banking advice into the same place as sick and potentially infectious people seeking health care. I guess the rent is much cheaper than a proper bank...gotta keep up those profits...poor bankers!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am not the one to whinge on this site (apart from the irrational thread on the Lounge which we know is a bit of a laff) but couldn't find anything on line - lots on the closed branch. So I went down - receptionists at the surgery very helpful. Up to the third floor, a gent popped out to tell me that I needed an appointment - how I said when you don't have any details on line.

I suppose after 22 year of using Google, and before that Altvista and Lycos, I'm not very good at usin the WWW (world wide web for anyone under 40).

They gave me a card but it has no contact details although there is a QR code. I'll share more later. And may complain to Barclays if I can be assed,

Oh it gets better, the QR code leads me to this: https://events.uk.barclays/local/

But on a search using my post code the nearest place is Mitcham at over 7 miles rather than Lordship lane at less than a mile.

The gent told me to go to my local branch, but with the queues I'm not going to Peckham. I tried Westmister a couple of weeks ago where I used to bank a few times a year pre Covid, but they had moved a couple of working days before.

Note to myself - get a life

There's been fairly broad media coverage in the last few months of the development of 'banking hubs'. These are premises where shared counter services are provided by a group of banks, with back offices available for use by individual banks. https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/press/press-releases/pivotal-moment-banks-consumer-groups-post-office-and-link-join-forces-help-protect-cash-services

Link (might other facilitators be available?) even invite community requests for their set-up. https://www.link.co.uk/about/news/four-new-banking-hubs-confirmed-following-community-requests/.

Post Office has been doing some of this for some time

Most banks offer PO Counter services for basic banking, but the issue is some of the smaller post offices sometimes don't have enough cash in the float to do the transaction. This happened when there was the brief move of the Sub PO near The Plough moved into a convenience store opposite Dulwich Library. They eventually gave up the franchise with no replacement.

The other I've experience at East Dulwich PO is that they don't always have enough of the notes you want your cash paid in, so it's just easier to travel to another bank branch where they have enough cash in all demoniations.

Does this now mean, ED has no banks at all? As the Barclays has closed on LL, I assume the ATMS have gone too?

Yes, there are no banks in the whole of SE22 at all.

That stretch of LL has two free ATMs at the Co-op and the Post Office, while others at Payless, Lordship Food and Wine and Ronnie's on East Dulwich Grove charge.

Other free ATMs in SE22 include Barry's Food and Wine in Barry Road, Sainsbury's Local by The Plough, Tesco Express on ED Road, Sainsbury's DKH and the PO in Forest Hill Road.

• 5 months later...