Finger Lick'n Chick'n

Don't suppose anyone knows what is happening with this cordon bleu eatery? Is it just being refurbished or (be still, oh leaping heart) is it going to open up as another bleedin' cocktail bar?

Why are clearly improving standards of goods and services - in line with generally rising prosperity - such a problem? Sure, some of the shops can be silly and overpriced, but dont go there.

I have been repeatedly told that East Dulwich was pretty awful 10-15 years ago - cab drivers wouldnt even take you there etc.

I dont understand why many people on here seem to want to hold on to crummy, threadbare pubs and chicken shops selling crap food, semi-derelict, ?1, 2nd hand or vacant shops etc: as still exist in most of SE London?

clive3300 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why are clearly improving standards of goods and

> services - in line with generally rising

> prosperity - such a problem? Sure, some of the

> shops can be silly and overpriced, but dont go

> there.

>

> I have been repeatedly told that East Dulwich was

> pretty awful 10-15 years ago - cab drivers wouldnt

> even take you there etc.

>

> I dont understand why many people on here seem to

> want to hold on to crummy, threadbare pubs and

> chicken shops selling crap food, semi-derelict,

> ?1, 2nd hand or vacant shops etc: as still exist

> in most of SE London?

not all of ED residents can afford to spunk a tenner on a gourmet Burger when they are peckish. A jumbo kebab is the thick end of a fiver these days

You may not like the stuff ( nor Do I really ) but for a couple of quid - the price of a couple of bags of crisps and a can of pop - you can get a meal in these places with a modicum of protein and enough fat to keep you going for a few hours - if they didnt get the business, they wouldnt be there still

I would be totally gutted if Favourite Fried Chicken shut down!!!! And that doesn't mean I want ED to revery back 10 years.

I have to say, I have never known a cab driver to refuse to take me to East Dulwich in my life! I think you might just have made that bit up...

snorky Wrote:

> not all of ED residents can afford to spunk a

> tenner on a gourmet Burger when they are peckish.

> A jumbo kebab is the thick end of a fiver these

> days

>

> You may not like the stuff ( nor Do I really ) but

> for a couple of quid - the price of a couple of

> bags of crisps and a can of pop - you can get a

> meal in these places with a modicum of protein and

> enough fat to keep you going for a few hours - if

> they didnt get the business, they wouldnt be there

> still

Actually I quite like Favourite - the burger meal with fillet of fire and the free apple pie is one of my "favourites". I certainly dont want it all organic delis, but generally IMO Lordship Lane is much improved in looks, range and quality in just the 2 years I have lived locally. I also frequent the greasy spoon next to the Palmerston which has cured many a potential hangover.

However I also dont mind spending ?18+ on wine etc, and I like that there are shops that provide these goods along with quality deli products .

...And a cab driver did indeed tell me he wouldnt take to ED in the past.

Really? I genuinely prefer Favourite to KFC, KFC chicken is often really dry, plus I loved the BBQ Bites they were doing recently, and it was only temporary, I was gutted when I was told that!

Anyway, with regards the point about the boxes and bones being left around, the shop has nothing to do with that, and recently I was outside the EDT having a fag, only for a load of people to leave one of the tables, and surrounding ground covered in packaging / cartons from the Sea Cow. Now I'm not here to have a go at Sea Cow, because it was the people that left the stuff there who were at fault. However, had it been chicken boxes, people probably would have been on here the very next day screaming about chavs ruining the bloody area!

clive3300 Wrote:

> ...And a cab driver did indeed tell me he wouldnt take to ED in the past.

Were you North of the river at the time by any chance? ;-)

Chicken on buses is worse than any other food (including kebabs) for stinking them out!

I have once or twice taken boxes of chicken on the 176 home. I apologise to anyone who has seen me devouring it, it can't have been nice to behold!