Update on insourcing of Southwark’s leisure services

Spotted this on the council website and thought it would be of interest to users of Dulwich Leisure Centre. The project to bring the services back in house from Everyone Active is continuing with an expected transfer date of June 2023.

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s110542/Report%20Progress%20with%20Insourcing%20of%20Leisure%20Services.pdf

Not surprisingly in the current economic climate / given the cost of energy, it looks like the services will cost Southwark more to run than originally budgeted.

Oh, and apparently there’s a nationwide shortage of swimming pool chemicals which has forced pool closures in other places - so that’s one to keep an eye on.

i questioned EA about the fact so much equipment is broken and has been for weeks and weeks.

The response I received was that the company that the equipment is leased from had a shortage of engineers ...

This week I received an update from a staff member at EA that the company in question were waiting on parts from Italy.

I actually don't believe the handover has anything to do with the poor repair record for equipment.

In my place of work we have had real issues finding qualified staff across many areas as well as delays in deliveries from Europe.

This is a direct result of leaving the EU.

The pool ought not to be pre-booked for anyone. It is a real pain to get a slot and then if you do, to see plainly that at least ten percent of people booked in for that hour don’t arrive. It’s a public facility that is in effect cutting off access to some people by citing outdated Covid guidelines. I feel bad for the staff who are mostly good and welcoming, having to work for this company.

The booking system has basically stopped me even attempting to go swimming. I don't seem to be able to book anything. The whole system is very ableist. For health reasons, I can't predict if I will be able to go swimming at the pre-booked time, (if I could actually get a space) and would potentially have to cancel at very short notice, which I believe has some form of penalty.

The booking system has basically stopped me even attempting to go swimming. I don't seem to be able to book anything. The whole system is very ableist. For health reasons, I can't predict if I will be able to go swimming at the pre-booked time, (if I could actually get a space) and would potentially have to cancel at very short notice, which I believe has some form of penalty.

I had to cancel a session recently at short notice due to illness. I was easily able to transfer the payment and the session to another week by phone.

I imagine you could do this more than once if necessary. The person I spoke to was helpful.

Also, I had previously been told that you can just turn up without having booked, but they can't guarantee you will get in

Surely they have to have some limit on numbers or there would be no space for people to actually swim? I go to lane swimming, don't know what the other kinds of sessions are like, but there would just be jams if they had many more people there!

Maybe try and find out which sessions attract the least people and/or the most cancellations/no shows?

Many people just don't turn up when the days are short and cold, I think.

Why not discuss your situation with the swimming manager there? His name is Peter and he has an office somewhere behind the reception area. I imagine you could just ask for him at reception, or maybe phone to book an appointment?

Or write a letter and hand it in at reception and they will put it on his desk, which is what I did (about something else). I don't know if he has an email address.

Don't forget to include your contact details and/or your Everyone Active membership number!

I had to cancel a session recently at short notice due to illness. I was easily able to transfer the payment and the session to another week by phone.

I imagine you could do this more than once if necessary. The person I spoke to was helpful.

Also, I had previously been told that you can just turn up without having booked, but they can't guarantee you will get in

Surely they have to have some limit on numbers or there would be no space for people to actually swim? I go to lane swimming, don't know what the other kinds of sessions are like, but there would just be jams if they had many more people there!

Maybe try and find out which sessions attract the least people and/or the most cancellations/no shows?

Many people just don't turn up when the days are short and cold, I think.

Why not discuss your situation with the swimming manager there? His name is Peter and he has an office somewhere behind the reception area. I imagine you could just ask for him at reception, or maybe phone to book an appointment?

Or write a letter and hand it in at reception and they will put it on his desk, which is what I did (about something else). I don't know if he has an email address.

Don't forget to include your contact details and/or your Everyone Active membership number!

Thanks for the reply Sue. I would be doing a slow lane swim, and it would very likely have to be a middayish one. I am a bit limited with times, again for health reasons. I just think swimming, and any exercise, should be stress free, without pressure or any feeling of guilt! It's bad enough feeling guilty for not doing any :-D

I suspect it will be in the new year for me now.

• 4 weeks later...

Very many of the sessions free up an hour or two before they start. So sessions that were full a few days out, will in fact have space if you look an hour or so before the session starts. You should be fine for last minute swims. Also - they do not police the lanes, so if there's space in medium or fast, just book it and go in the slow lane when you get there. I've never, ever, seen the lanes actually full in any session since the booking things started.