No traffic lights East Dulwich Road Peckham Rye junction

Although the cars were managing quite well when I was trying to cross as a pedestrian around 430 it was really rather scary! Especially worrying given the amount of young children/ teenagers who were also struggling to work out a safe point to cross. This is a very dangerous junction as a pedestrian.

I have posted before on the EDF about the ongoing scandal of this shambolic, dangerous crossroads. The axial and width misalignment of the road segments, the failure to filter right-turning traffic towards Forest Hill. The site is dangerous for drivers and pedestrians WITH its lights working - a schoolgirl died there in recent years.

I am not a supporter of Hans Monderman and Martin Cassini, 'shared space' and all that, removing all traffic signs, constraints, separation - and traffic lights. But yes, indeed, traffic was doing rather well today without lights. Tho part of the reason for that is that London's traffic lights are still, in 2013, just 'dumb' phase-rotating relics, so vast amounts of time are wasted with everyone sitting waiting, no-one moving. More rationally run cities have traffic lights which are interlinked interactive flow management systems.

The suggestion of my previous post was that this junction should be a roundabout, nipping a tiny piece off the corner of the Rye (shock-horror!), and with enhanced pedestrian protection.

Many of us hoped, earlier in the year, when the junction was paralysed with roadworks week after week, that the faceless-nameless ones had actually woken up and were making needed changes. What did we get? New curbstones! And the removal of pedestrian islands, adding to the hazard of crossing and encouraging vehicles to speed up. It's traffic engineering by baboons - irresponsible beyond belief.

More recent works in ED Road made me think that perhaps, at long last, they were going to construct that right-turn filter. No, it was just a crossing to Tesco. Ah well, the corporate master cracks the whip, the public official jumps. Shame a major supermarket doesn't insist the whole crossroads is sorted. The voices of ordinary people make no difference at all to those who run this city.

Lee Scoresby

Are you mad? Police Managing Junctions always results in horrendous jams!

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's unbelievable that they were still not

> functioning at 4.30pm - so they were 'out' all

> day. Was there no policeman conducting the

> traffic? that is really dangerous!

They've trialled the removal of traffic lights in Portishead and now gone permanent with it:
. The people behind the trial make quite an interesting case for removing traffic controls - equality over priority: http://www.equalitystreets.com/ I find it a lovely idea that when we remove traffic lights, people just figure it out. Makes me wonder what else in the world we have constructed and think we need, but could do quite well without it.

Lee Scoresby Wrote:

> More recent works in ED Road made me think that

> perhaps, at long last, they were going to

> construct that right-turn filter. No, it was just

> a crossing to Tesco. Ah well, the corporate master

> cracks the whip, the public official jumps. Shame

> a major supermarket doesn't insist the whole

> crossroads is sorted. The voices of ordinary

> people make no difference at all to those who run

> this city.

>

> Lee Scoresby

There is another post referring to this. Now that the zebra crossing is up and running, some of my daily observations: the exit from Fenwick into ED Rd is worse and more difficult to negotiate - esp if trying to turn right - and cars coming down ED Rd towards P Rye swerve to the right (into oncoming traffic) at the crossing to give the concrete island a wide berth as the two car lanes appear to be narrower. Pedestrians are still crossing further up or down so it seems redundant. I guess there was some consultation. . .

davidh Wrote:

> are lights at peckham rye working again or not?

> thought that was the subject

Yes. Due to its close proximity, the zebra crossing impacts on the traffic in and around that junction.

A heads-up about the t-lights was great - but davidh, a forum is more than a Twitter feed - things connect

Entirely reasonable that a community can cross a busy road safely to local shopping - my point was, who gets results and who gets ignored? - and indeed, stacy-lyn, the crossing island is horrendously misconceived - only a matter of days before a head-on, I would say

B-Jack, you've clearly got the 'shared space' religion - Q: besides common sense, what was it that slowed vehicles down when the lights were out? - A: first, that tentative "After you Maurice" eye-contact thingy which is central to 'shared space' ideology - very inefficient at an X-crossing, hence the attraction of a roundabout - second reason, that small but very dangerous minority of selfish immature 'yeah-whatever!' drivers about whom everyone else has to worry - you could see such specimens honking and bullying and barging through when the lights were down - and these scumbags are the big bug in the 'shared space' utopia - it wouldn't mean equality, B-J, it would mean priority to these thugs

just sayin' iz all

Lee Scoresby

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> BrocolliJack (Fab nickname), Exhibition Road and

> the bit outside Sloane Square tube is shared

> space. I use both a lot as a road user and no

> problems and all cool.

I use exhibition road 3 days as a week and is not cool. Have been increasingly worried by shared use down by tube. last week had to warn parents outside one of the pavement cafes who were letting their young kids run all over both car and pedestrian side that vehicles could come along it whuch some did shortly after. They'd had no idea. See it at least once a week - with tourists usually. Anyway' i'm perhaps off topic......