old crimes in East Dulwich

Mark

It seems the Old Bailey Online site is now working so you can see details of London crimes committed between 1674 and 1913, here's a link to see search results for East Dulwich http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/search.jsp?form=_divs&_divs_fulltext=%22east+dulwich%22&ref=&_divs_div0Type_div1Type=&submit.x=44&submit.y=-22&submit=Search

I haven't had a chance to look through them yet but here's a snippet:

SAMUEL THOMAS, Breaking Peace > wounding, 29th February 1836.

... I left the vestry on the Wednesday evening, the 24th of February, on horseback?I went in the direction of my house?when I got past East Dulwich chapel, and the Plough public-house, I observed something on the road?it was half-past eight o'clock, and quite dark?immediately a voice called out to me, "Who are you?" or, "Who comes here"?I do not know which?I immediately drew up to the person addressing me, quite close?I could have touched him?I then saw distinctly who it was?it was the prisoner at the bar?I observed he had a gun in his hand?he said something, but I cannot recollect what?I was agitated and touched the more very quickly, and when I got a short distance I turned my head, and saw the prisoner levelling the gun, presenting a at me?I immediately threw myself on the neck of the mare, and hung on?I got about the distance of the mare, and then fell on the road?I immediately scrambled and got up and ran off?I distinctly heard the snap of the gun?I am sure of it?I then ran on as fast as I could to the toll-gate...

I work opposite the Old Bailey and the BEST crime I have seen on their website...is for COW-WORRYING...a laying of hand(s) upon a cow with intent. I kid you not. Brilliant. It also revealed that we sent 12 year old boys to death for stealing a piece of cloth....hhhmmmm.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now Muffins, I have to guess where you work!

> intriguing....

Large international IT delivery company? That would make 3 of us.. :)

So ojm and madworld74 - is that what you call it!! well its huge and i call it something else :) all good though!!!

To be sure - the offices name wouldnt have anything to do with what we were talking about above, would it!!

Im still here - its sooooo quiet shussshhhh

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I work opposite the Old Bailey and the BEST crime

> I have seen on their website...is for

> COW-WORRYING...a laying of hand(s) upon a cow with

> intent. I kid you not. Brilliant. It also revealed

> that we sent 12 year old boys to death for

> stealing a piece of cloth....hhhmmmm.

i read in the paper last week there were a couple of blokes done for harrassing a dolphin in folkestone.

thank god it's not just me -- i NEARLY took my recent pooooooor experience at au ciel personally!

the (french -- sorry!) woman behind the counter was completely put out that my friend and i ordered

our coffees together but handed over money (pound coins, mind you) separately. she tutt-tutted, rolled

her eyes... same general behaviour as described above. so i cheerfully asked "are you having a bad day?"

she seemed shocked and replied "no. why?" to which i said "because you are making an awfully big deal

out of this". let me add, the place was E M P T Y apart from us. humph. last time i go there for my coffee.

at least the sometimes surly italian blokes around the corner provide a wee bit of eye candy from time to time!