random act of kindness

thank you to the kind people on belvoir rd who left bunches of flowers out for people i left a card today not sure i got the right house. I put mine on an old grave in camberwell old cemetary family name Elliott they died when their ship empress of ireland sank 1914 interesting google story

A sad story when two ships collided in fog. Of the 1477 passengers, only 465 survived. Of the 138 children on board, only 4 survived. The Elliot family did not survive. Two Elliot children died aged 1 and 4.

Where is the Elliot grave in Camberwell Old Cemetery?

I worked closely to Postman's Park for an extended period (named as it was adjacent to the St Martin's Le Grand Head Post Office in the King Edward Building - where the War Memorial to those employed by the Post Office, and especially those who served in the Post Office Rifles, is). Postman's Park was (and probably still is) a fine place to sit and contemplate with your sandwiches in the summer. I too would warmly recommend a visit.

Another sidestep on my part, if I may.

The naval event associated with those times that is seared in my mind is the sinking of the Lolaire in January 1919.

This small vessel was taking returning soldiers, who had survived the First World War, back to their families on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. The island did not have a big population and so was a tight knit community. You can only imagine how much the families were looking forward to welcoming home those who had survived the war.

But the vessel sank just outside the harbour at Stornoway and over 200 died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46522918

A devastating tragedy by any measure.