Lordship Lane Post Office closure threat/strike action

Twirly

I think if you read the thread, the idea is that the current service will be replaced with a franchise post-office arrangement still located on Lordship Lane. This means Lordship Lane would get another post office inside of some sort of shop providing the same services as the existing stand alone post office. I'd like to hear what problems people think this will pose (as many people on this thread have discussed how well they've seen these partnerships work). Does anyone have any information that contradicts what James B posted regarding keeping the same level of service?

So people want a petition to keep a crown post office as is that isnt open when many want to use the service and is making a loss and isnt likely to be replaced until Spring 2015.

Vs. a franchise post office with probably longer opening hours, providing the same services but connected to a related business so they get some customer crossover and make a profit.

I must be missing something. This doesnt feel like a threat to the well being of East Dulwich businesses or its residents.

Of the things going on in East Dulwich I'm spending my time serving residents casework, fighting to get new schools,trying to ensure we have Dulwich Police officers spending time in Dulwich, trying to resolve the nursery space crisis and helping local businesses.

Hi Freddy1929,

So I would suggest we have a massive campaign IF the promises made are broken or an unsuitable replacement is proposed.

But protesting essentially against change because we don't like change is likely to make any future campaign much harder and more dissmissible as just a bunch of people from East Dulwich who don't like change complaining again.

I'd counsel to keep our powder dry for when we really need to campaign on this issue.

re extended hours - I have generally found the post offices located within shops are opened less hours than a stand alone post offices. They tend to close for lunch & close half day some days a week.

How does it work when there's a post office counter within a shop - who owns/runs the PO counter? My rather hazy recall is that the PO counters tend to close earlier than the shops themselves, probably 5.30.

I don't know enough to know whether this could be a good or bad thing for the area/the current staff.

James, do you know if there is anyone interested in this particular PO? Would it require a change of use application if it went from say a PO to a stationers or convenience store? Any info would be useful.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Freddy1929,

> So I would suggest we have a massive campaign IF

> the promises made are broken or an unsuitable

> replacement is proposed.

>

> But protesting essentially against change because

> we don't like change is likely to make any future

> campaign much harder and more dissmissible as just

> a bunch of people from East Dulwich who don't like

> change complaining again.

>

> I'd counsel to keep our powder dry for when we

> really need to campaign on this issue.

So now we know why JB didn't raise it here-he doesn't care and thinks it's a good thing. Plus he's too busy 'helping businesses', what like the co-op with it's extended hours?! Very disingenuous to say you'll protest if promises aren't kept (Clegg), when you know if it gets to that stage it won't be reversed. Very selective JB. Shame you didn't fight for the police stn,and hospital like yot are for more schools & nurseries (to be built on hospital site-coincidence)?

Hi Twirly, Callie,

I think you're refering to local sub post offices. Usually very small operations.

The franchised mode we're talking about for East dulwich would be a full post office and not close for lunch times. I'd expect it to have longer opening times than the current crown post office.

Hi Uncleben,

I didnt say that. I'm talking to local businesses about issues that affect them. A cluster have a major anti social problem we need to resolve. But yes, I do prioritise and the crown post office we have nearly two years time.

How can you fight for a school and hospital on the same site? Your machinations will lead to a substantially reduced medical facility for what will be the ghost of Dulwich hosp. But you'll have a great big school to help your reelection campaign and votes from parents who won't have anywhere local to take the sick kid! And the police stn-1 stn closed down, 1 stn sold off, and your 'fighting' for a hobby bobby to have his tea and biscuits at the ghost of Dulwich hosp! ! Right oh JB.

ultrauk Wrote:

> If the main PO branch on LL is closed we are

> doomed. The poor woman who runs the small PO

> counter next to the Plough Pub is already run off

> her feet & customers are queueing down the shop

> aisle as it is.

And a lovely woman she is too. Very helpful and patient when I'm applying for things.

What's important in this debate is the difference between a sub and franchised PO.

The subs are independent businesses which receive fixed and variable payments based on their performance from the Post Office. These PO's include the PO's by Dulwich Library, Dulwich Village and Forest Hill Road. They don't offer all the services of a main branch.

Franchises are sub-contracted by PO Limited to provide the same level of service as a Crown PO or improved services of which WHSmith is the main provider, although other businesses can apply, such as the independent discount shop retailer in Penge.

Crown PO staff who decide to move across will be paid by the franchisee, however as seen at Forest Hill, most if not all staff decided to take redundancy, which led to WHSmith hiring post office staff from launch.

minder Wrote:

> Went into WH Smiths at Rye Lane today and found

> out this branch is closing completely on 18th May.

This is bad news indeed. They were one of the good 'staple' shops, excuse the pun :O)

Thanks Bic Basher. So a franchise will provide the same or better service. What we have locally so far is the sub-model?

Bic Basher Wrote:

> ultrauk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If the main PO branch on LL is closed we are

> > doomed. The poor woman who runs the small PO

> > counter next to the Plough Pub is already run

> off

> > her feet & customers are queueing down the shop

> > aisle as it is.

>

> And a lovely woman she is too. Very helpful and

> patient when I'm applying for things.

>

> What's important in this debate is the difference

> between a sub and franchised PO.

>

> The subs are independent businesses which receive

> fixed and variable payments based on their

> performance from the Post Office. These PO's

> include the PO's by Dulwich Library, Dulwich

> Village and Forest Hill Road. They don't offer all

> the services of a main branch.

>

> Franchises are sub-contracted by PO Limited to

> provide the same level of service as a Crown PO or

> improved services of which WHSmith is the main

> provider, although other businesses can apply,

> such as the independent discount shop retailer in

> Penge.

>

> Crown PO staff who decide to move across will be

> paid by the franchisee, however as seen at Forest

> Hill, most if not all staff decided to take

> redundancy, which led to WHSmith hiring post

> office staff from launch.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Thanks Bic Basher. So a franchise will provide

> the same or better service. What we have locally

> so far is the sub-model?

Yes, except for the main Crown PO at 72 LL.

The nearest franchised PO is Forest Hill on the top floor of WHSmith.

With the closure of WHSmith in Peckham, I think it's safe to say that it won't be replacing the Rye Lane PO.