Lordship Lane Post Office closure threat/strike action

Twirly

LL will continue to have a post office.

JB said:

"Yes the post office will close IF a new franchise post office can be created on Lordship Lane. We've been promised in writing that the replacement will offer exactly the same services."

If this is true, then I dont know what the fuss is about. It should be an improvement in services from what I understand.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My personal experiences are such francises can

> work well. Until last autumn my day job was near

> borough tube. The crown post office was closed and

> the replacement franchise I found gave me a better

> more personal service.

I lived in Borough when they closed the main post office there and it was a disaster for local people and businesses.

Funny thing is, JB, the Lib Dems, spearheaded by Simon Hughes, led the fight to keep it open - http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2709

Hughes said - "These are the Crown Post Offices and if you can't persuade the Post Office to keep a post office in Borough High Street, one of the oldest high streets in the country, then I think there's something wrong."

Snuggling up to Tories does funny things to a lad eh?

James Barber Wrote:

>

> The rationale.

> Currently for every ?1 of comission and revenue

> towards their operating costs they spend ?1.48.

> Clearly this isn't sustainable.

The accounting mysteries of allocating a "share" of central overheads to a branch office.

John K

A Post Office spokesperson stated ?We are confident that our plans will mean that customers continue to benefit from a Post Office in their locality delivering service of the highest quality. Partnering with a complementary, respected retailer will also provide for long term viability and sustainability of the branches in question.?

If that's their rationale, why did they close the very useful one that was part of a shop in the Goose Green parade?

Hi UncleBen,

IF publishing the story on my blog, updating my Facebook page and tweeting about it and ensuring the story is run in local newspapers is keeping quiet about this then I'm baffled what you'd expect me to do to make a big song and dance about it.

I was expecting to also put a paragraph in SE22 but the Police retreating from Dulwich bounced it from the May issue.

Hi maxxi,

Yes their were big concerns about losing the Borough High Street 'crown' post office. The replacement on Southwark Bridge Road I personally found better. Shorter queues and more helpful and personable staff.

Hi Lane lover,

I agree. We have a chance to get an improved service.

Hi edhistory.

Possibly. Of the 370 Crown Post Offices they plan to franchise 70 of them to make them profitable.

Two issues. One is will we have the same or better service - yes.

Will the staff find equally good T&C's. That I'm not clear on. They must have excellent skills in processing cash and counter systems. So I'd be hopeful they'd either TUPE to the new provider or find bank or other such work. But we do need a workforce that flexes for the peaks and troughs if we 're to have much shorter queues.

Regards james.

UncleBen Wrote:

> What Louisa said too. Kept quiet on EDF about this

> one huh JB. Sounds like you want it to happen?

> Mind you, i don't think waitrose do PO counters. .

> .

If it's anything like Penge PO, it'll be replaced by a franchised convenience store, but is now a discount store with a post office bolted onto the end of it.

The WHSmith franchised PO's, such as the one in Forest Hill are probably the best example of the model the Post Office likes. For example, the PO in Forest Hill is open until 5.30pm on Saturdays unlike ED.

In Torquay the move to WH Smiths worked very well.... before the PO was a large underused building (which became a Tesco - gulp) and the WH Smiths was too big for it's customer base. Now there are more customers for WH Smiths AND a fully fuctioning PO (with the same staff I believe) and I think there is some synergy between a stationers and a PO. Obviously LL doesn't have a WH Smiths - maybe it could move into the Police Station and kill two birds with one stone!

Regards james.

>

> UncleBen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What Louisa said too. Kept quiet on EDF about

> this

> > one huh JB. Sounds like you want it to happen?

> > Mind you, i don't think waitrose do PO counters.

JB- you did not raise it on EDF, unlike when you raise certain planning apps etc when suits you.

If PO goes into a shop it'll be yet another chain e.g WHSmith.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> http://www.cwu.org/crown-offices-under-threat.html

I had a look at this, and wrote to the email address asking if there was a petition I could sign, and although my message was forwarded to someone by the original recipient, I've not actually received a proper reply yet. If there is one, I'll post about it on here.

Apologies for the original title on this thread - have just amended it to include the words "Post Office". Obviously in too much of a hurry!

Things have become clearer now. I thought it was very strange that no-one had posted about this on the EDF. Particularly James Barber.

In terms of what happens to the Post Office, I can see both sides of the argument. It would be good if everyone could benefit in the long run - a good post office counter, providing all the current services, and maybe some other retail outlet to go with it, and TUPE for the current staff. But what would that be, particularly if it were to be in the current premises? I can't see a convenience store going in there with all the food stores around, and the Londis just over the road already supplying that need. A stationers could be good, but I can't really see WHSmiths going into such a small space (aside from the fact that it would be another chain). Anyone else have any ideas?

Twirly Wrote:

>

> In terms of what happens to the Post Office, I can

> see both sides of the argument. It would be good

> if everyone could benefit in the long run - a good

> post office counter, providing all the current

> services, and maybe some other retail outlet to g

> with it, and TUPE for the current staff. But what

> would that be, particularly if it were to be in

> the current premises? I can't see a convenience

> store going in there with all the food stores

> around, and the Londis just over the road already

> supplying that need. A stationers could be good,

> but I can't really see WHSmiths going into such a

> small space (aside from the fact that it would be

> another chain). Anyone else have any ideas?

I think inner city post offices could take a bit of inspiration from their village/rural counterparts. You don't have to go far outside of London to see how formerly threatened post office sites have been saved by diversifying and mixing with shops. A great one I saw in Gloucestershire last summer was a delicatessen/grocer who had managed to share the former post office space with a separate counter at the back. An independent grocer/deli could easily fit into that space and a few of the PO counters could be integrated into the shared shop space. There is no way a chain like WH Smiths would be able to open up in that small retail space.

Louisa.

So, is this the start of our local campaign activity? Some others seem to be organised - though they may not have the task of a new restaurant to name :)

For example, from the CWU site, Holloway:

Holloway crown post office, north London, is under threat of closure.

Find out more at a public meeting on Friday May 3 at 7.30pm at Voluntary Sector Resource Centre, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA.

Speakers include:

Jeremy Corbyn MP, Islington North

Catherine West, leader of Islington council

Andy Furey (Communication Workers Union)

Download a leaflet for the meeting.

The government published "Securing the Post Office Network in the Digital Age" in November 2010, and in 2011 began a consultation process. More details here: https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/ensuring-the-future-of-the-universal-postal-service-and-post-office-network-services/supporting-pages/funding-and-modernising-the-post-office-network. The consultatation outcome http://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/mutualisation-of-the-post-office was published in July 2012.

The House of Commons Business, Innovation and Skills Committee's "3rd Report - Post Office Network Transformation", available at http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/business-innovation-and-skills/publications/, was also published in July 2012. It contains:

"13. When giving evidence, Paula Vennells, Chief Executive of Post Office Ltd, set out what she believed to be the advantages of the new 'Locals' model. She highlighted the fact that opening times would be extended?in her view, typically from 7am in the morning to 10pm at night, and sometimes later?which she argued would bring in both additional, younger customers and increased revenue to the Post Office.[24] However, this will be balanced by a reduction in the range of services offered. Despite the Government's statement that "we have heard loud and clear how much the public values a large branch network that offers a wide range of products", [25] 'Local' post offices will no longer offer the following services, currently available from the majority of post offices:

? The posting of international parcels and any parcels weighing over 20kg;

? Parcel Force Express Services parcels;

? Manual cash deposits and withdrawals;

? Change-giving service to small businesses;

? Post Office financial services and insurance products;

? Manual bill payments services;

? Passport, car tax and DVLA services;

? On demand foreign currency; and

? Payment by cheque."

I don't know how important to people any of these are.

The Communication Workers Union comments at http://www.cwu.org/locals-model-the-concerns-in-more-detail.html.

I can't see how the existing site could be used for dual operations. Penge's PO has enough space for this, Peckham High Street's was split in two to allow a retail outlet (Payless) to trade next door while the PO shrunk to a four counter outlet.

If the PO does become a franchise in ED, it's more likely it'll move into an existing retail outlet with enough space for dual trading on LL. The Co-op and Londis spring to mind.

This would allow the existing building to be sold/leased to another independent retailer.

buddug Wrote:

> UncleBen wrote: 'JB- you did not raise it on EDF,

> unlike when you raise certain planning apps etc

> when suits you.'

>

> Hear hear.

I see the James Barber Appreciation Society is convening for it's monthly meeting.

If the existing PO site is closed, they will move a micky mouse PO Counter service into a convenience store that will not only be inconvenient but will not offer the full range of services that the current PO does. Now you go on line and find out where the PO service you require is-it is not around here! The current PO site will most likely be sold to a large chain brewry or similar as they have the cash, and the site could become another late opening alcohol emporium for 14-25yr olds open 7 days a wk till 3am.

Fight the closure. Organise and be heard. Ask your local councillors to be proactive in this matter.

If there is a petition to keep the Lordship Lane P.O. open then sign it. Think about where else you would go for convenience.

I use my local Post Office in Woodfarrs, SE5 and sometimes the one in Dulwich Village.

Talking about WH Smith. They have a very busy Post Office at the back of the WH Smith in the Lewisham Centre. The staff are always friendly and polite.

If the main PO branch on LL is closed we are doomed. The poor woman who runs the small PO counter next to the Plough Pub is already run off her feet & customers are queueing down the shop aisle as it is.