Charter East/Dulwich Hospital

ed_pete

Yes I had some clinics in there, very sad the onion tops went and now more incompetence means the chateau is at risk. More mess, traffic, dust pollution and noise for East Dulwich Grove residents, as well as the loss of our physic garden, which we were promised by Southwark would be replaced.....

Meanwhile Gilkes Crescent with their huge gardens and enormous houses have been promised a courtyard green space and park.

What is it about the wealthy, white elite of Dulwich owning 2-3 million pound houses  that attracts Council money from Southwark, compared to my ethnic minority neighbours, with three kids in a small rental flat, working 2 jobs each and having no garden. 

I know who deserves a community garden more.....

It’s all about power and careers for this Council.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/09/2023 at 13:55, heartblock said:

Yes I had some clinics in there, very sad the onion tops went and now more incompetence means the chateau is at risk. More mess, traffic, dust pollution and noise for East Dulwich Grove residents, as well as the loss of our physic garden, which we were promised by Southwark would be replaced.....

Meanwhile Gilkes Crescent with their huge gardens and enormous houses have been promised a courtyard green space and park.

What is it about the wealthy, white elite of Dulwich owning 2-3 million pound houses  that attracts Council money from Southwark, compared to my ethnic minority neighbours, with three kids in a small rental flat, working 2 jobs each and having no garden. 

I know who deserves a community garden more.....

It’s all about power and careers for this Council.

😡

This makes me very angry. And sad 

My partner and I (The Goose Is Out!) ran a fundraising gig to help raise money to build the physic garden, and  it had a particular place in our hearts.

A lot of people put a lot of love, time and effort into building and maintaining that garden.

I completely agree with heart block's post about who deserves a community garden more.

What have Southwark Council got to say about their priorities here? If anything 😡

• Like 2

The questions you have to ask yourself are (1) Does this raise revenue for the Council which is not covered by statutory limits and (2) does this remove privately owned cars from Southwark?

If the answer to both is 'no' than I wouldn't be holding my breath for any positive response. Just not on their radar, I'm afraid. 

Yes, there is something almost grotesque at seeing money pumped into Dulwich Village (turning long-used public highways into 'village squares' etc.) while the genuinely useful and loved physic garden at Dulwich Hospital site has just been junked. What liars our politicians are. All of them.

• Like 3

In the consultation with residents next to the hospital, we were assured the garden would either be retained or moved somewhere else on one of the sites (school or medical centre) with access for the residents as well as school/HC visitors - so yes we were lied to,

Afterwards when the raised beds were dug up and destroyed our local councillor mumbled 'unfortunate', 'no powers to keep it', 'out of our control'.

Edited by heartblock
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, heartblock said:

In the consultation with residents next to the hospital, we were assured the garden would either be retained or moved somewhere else on one of the sites (school or medical centre) with access for the residents as well as school/HC visitors - so yes we were lied to,

Afterwards when the raised beds were dug up and destroyed our local councillor mumbled 'unfortunate', 'no powers to keep it', 'out of our control'.

😡😡😡

The criticism of the council in this matter is a little unfair. The physic garden was ‘retained’ as promised by the medical centre during consultation. They provided the planters outside, which admittedly are different to how it was, but is what they’d always said they’d provide.

If anyone wants to take on gardening them I’m sure they’d be knocking on an open door. 

There is no physic garden in the Medical Centre, there are some trees in planters which will die in the next few years as all boxed trees do and some rather poor planting on the outer edges of a car park - much of it dead.

On the other hand the deserted and fenced off physic garden has rather re-wilded itself despite being dug up and parked on. 

Framing the bit of dead planting in TJ carpark and some soon to be dead trees in boxes, as a useful and peaceful public space/ physic garden in which to sit and contemplate is a reach. 

No fault of TJ centre, but absolutely NOT what we were promised in the consultation as local residents. 

3B9FF6FF-1BE4-42BB-9540-4B80F6F498C9.jpeg

It would be lovely if the school could be given some money by the council to create a wild garden there? Great for children to learn about gardening and wildlife and also a great connection with the local community.

Maybe we write to the school and the Goose Green Cllrs and ask if this is possible?

• Like 1

Just had an email saying the deadline for that funding has been extended to 22 October which suggests there is funding available. I’m away on holiday next week but happy to try and help put in an application- if people are willing to post on here some info about the previous Physic Garden and what would be involved, where the suggestion is that it goes and I think there would also need to be agreement consent from the school or TJ depending on where people think it should be.  If there’s a week to put in an application it shouldn’t be beyond the power of the folk on here and perhaps we could work together instead of arguing with each other for once?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to help, but I wasn't directly involved in the actual siting, building and planting of the garden.

I have a book about it which was produced afterwards. I'll see if I can find it.

We just held a fundraising gig at DHFC.

Can't undertake to do another one. We are running  a sea song and shanty night  in aid of the RNLI at The Ivy House in February.

Edited by Sue
Adding information
  • Like 1

Where it still is seems an obvious site - it hasn't been built on yet.

The School has attracted a lot of money from central and local government and a school/residents local amenity would encourage closer ties with the School and the residents.

The School would gain a teaching area for children to understand horticulture/ nature and the residents gain a 'garden' - gain gain.

It could also easily have a public gate in from the street and a school gate in (with a pass code) - to ensure safety and privacy for the school as well as access to the residents. Any fundraising could be later on next year - as long as Southwark agree to fund some.

I'm crazy busy with University teaching and research,  but happy to contribute to the written bid -read over it ...edit/add if someone writes a draft and knows maybe the hard of the school?