Fireworks

lindylou

As I hear displays starting for what will no doubt last for days it is worth reading this link, bearing in mind that is just one animal species.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/03/bonfire-night-fireworks-cause-major-distress-to-wild-geese-study-finds

I'd happily see a ban on fireworks sold to the public and strictly limited / regulated professional displays for dates such as Bonfire Night / NYE / Diwali.

There was a much older Guardian article that cropped up on Twitter earlier about the pollution too:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/nov/15/fireworks-bonfire-night-diwali-pollution

It's a bit rich on the one hand to be going on about climate change, air pollution etc and then go "hey everyone, let's burn the crap out of everything for a few nights!"

As a kid we could buy fireworks at our corner shop. They sold them everwhere. Thousands got injured each bonfire night. Government clamped down banning some (eg jumping jacks and catherine wheels), increased the legal age for buying fireworks, and there seemed to be a move to organised events and a reduction in accidents.

I'm not even sure where you buy them nowadays, supermarkets no longer. Yet for some reason there has been a rise in fireworks outside the organised events.

Every year when I was young there would be public information campaigns about safe use - secure storage, responsible adult, light the blue touch paper and retire, don't go back to a firework when you think it has gone out. But that is nannying and governments don't tell us what to do anymore.

Sadly it is more difficult to hold communuty events now due to insurance requirements.

Not sure what the answer is.

Just home from the superb Dulwich Sports Club firework event. £12 for me and the boy, which is his treat for the month. The staff and crowd there were wonderful - a credit to the area and a real community spirit.

Carbon footprint of a typical display is 20kg, shared between around 3,000 people. In context, this is 1% of the carbon footprint of a flight to Australia, which would have around 300 people on it. Or the equivalent of those 300 people each making a 1 minute mobile phone call. So I don't think that it's anything to mess our pants over.

More loud banging noises locally from incessant loft conversions. And children make noises., Are children to be banned? Noisy dogs and dog s..t on the roads. They consume resources and aren't suitable for such a built up area, but obviously everyone must follow the wants of dog owners.

Ed 26, glad you enjoyed the fireworks and good that you posted some positive views.

Not saying there aren't adult conversations to be had, but (a) for a discussion forum you need both sides of the story, and (b) sometimes some views can appear a little reactionary.

I'm trying to use soft terms as no value in winding people up (I'd normally use humour in this case).

Usually worth hearing both sides of the argument

In summary,

This is not just about carbon footprints. Animal welfare should also be considered and that includes wildlife.

Nonetheless, that said, I do not begrudge a few organised events every year on specific dates, preferably with low noise fireworks now available. Again, if pet owners know then they can avoid.

The poor wildlife just has to cope but, unlike pets, they can within reason escape and/or hide.

It is the impromptu, without warning, back garden extravaganzas that are the real problem, invariably the most gratuitously noisy and 'bangy'.

• 1 month later...