Fireworks

lindylou

Is it just me? I thought everyone was so strapped for cash at the moment, all up in arms about how they can’t afford their gas and electricity bills. Absolutely worried about the cost of living. The amount of fireworks being let off in East Dulwich over the past week tells me otherwise, and this will continue until we’ll after 5th November. What is the priority here....putting money aside for bills and food, or burning money on fireworks?

Here here. I see people are also going to pubs, eating out, going to the theatre, paying to watch football, going on holiday, vanity extensions etc etc. Surely with the cost of living crisis, and Brexit, they should only be spending on essentials.

I'd like to see NFNs (No firework neighbourhoods).

They are not eco friendly, they are polluting. They can trigger major and costly behavioural disorders in pets.

In my view not on a par with going to the pub or cinema.

Anyone that objects to car pollution cannot possibly support fireworks.

This year is unusual

Last week was Diwali, festival of lights (and celebrated with fireworks) and then in few days its Guy Fawkes night again celebrated with fireworks

I understand the stress it causes to animals, goldie my fish hates it, but to propose a NFN is really pushing the nanny state envelope IMHO.

What next, no walking on the cracks on the pavement in case the lines (or is ir lions) get you ?

No whistling happy tunes?

Are we in the Republic of Gilead akready?

Fireworks are discussed every year here. As regards to air pollution it will be dwarfed by other sources and if we wanted to target something more significant it would be wood and coal burning, irrespective of any supposed 'green' credentials.

Home displays are getting a bit crazy and best to have organised displays, but you can't enforce that

Animal welfare is another issue.

It is ludicrous to tell people how to spend their money. I loved the Tower Hamlet event which has been cancelled on economic grounds, disappointing but understandable

I'd like to see NFNs (No firework neighbourhoods).

They are not eco friendly, they are polluting. They can trigger major and costly behavioural disorders in pets.

In my view not on a par with going to the pub or cinema.

Anyone that objects to car pollution cannot possibly support fireworks.

I'd like to see NFNs (No firework neighbourhoods) - 100% in agreement with you.

It’s incredibly selfish to say that there are bigger contributions to environmental health than fireworks, so let’s not bother to try. Could you possibly be more up yourself than that? Do you extend that to everything? Non recyclable coffee cups? Single use plastic? I’d go on but you probably don’t care.

Fireworks are pretty but the loud noise is terrifying to wildlife and animals.

I am 100% in favour of a ban on noisy fireworks.

For those with animals, you can get calming collars which help massively.

Oh dear. Virtually every aspect of your living harms the planet. Where to start (don't be born at all and certainly don't have kids) and where to end.

Sitting here snugly without my heating on, after tending to my permaculture allotment, with clothes a generation old, drinking my home made cider from apples I rescued, and never washing, not going beyond walking distance from my bender in the woods. Well maybe not.

Animal welfare is a relevant issue as is the polluting effect of fireworks.

I'd be happy to support a Southwark-wide ban on woodburners and coal fires but they really are another issue, in terms of this thread.

Fireworks are pure human self-indulgence and as you know Mal they are polluting, but the animal welfare issue tops it for me.

Fireworks are discussed every year here. As regards to air pollution it will be dwarfed by other sources and if we wanted to target something more significant it would be wood and coal burning, irrespective of any supposed 'green' credentials.

Home displays are getting a bit crazy and best to have organised displays, but you can't enforce that

It is ludicrous to tell people how to spend their money. I loved the Tower Hamlet event which has been cancelled on economic grounds, disappointing but understandable

Anyone complaining about pets and fireworks:

Tough luck. You should have thought of that before you made the decision to keep an animal captive in a built up urban environment. That you have done so gives you no right whatsoever to dictate other people behaviours and rights, particularly a centuries old tradition like setting off fireworks around this time of year, which i will remind you is also 100% legal to do so.

If you feel sorry for your pet, i suggest you take it on holiday to the countryside.

What about wild birds imasnookercue? Should they all be banished from our city? It's not just domestic pets that suffer with fireworks.

Oh and what about service animals? I hope you're never in a situation where you need the assistance of a dog to save you!!!

Bonfire night

"In early 1606, an act was passed which declared that November 5 shall be recognised as a day of thanksgiving in celebration of the fact that King James I's life, among many others, was spared that day."

"On November 5 each year people across the UK light bonfires, let off fireworks, and burn effigies of a man named Guy Fawkes. The reason we do this is because it's the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot (1605); a failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London by a group of dissident Catholics."

History may have been very different if the plot had succeeded.

I'd be happy to support a Southwark-wide ban on woodburners and coal fires but they really are another issue, in terms of this thread.

Fireworks are pure human self-indulgence and as you know Mal they are polluting, but the animal welfare issue tops it for me.

Aren’t pets similarly self indulgent?

No Nigello, not in the same way. Some people may have pets when they shouldn't, but for many they provide essential companionship.

But even if there is a wider ethical debate about the wisdom of keeping animals in modern, urban settings, the fact is those animals do currently exist and they are living beings with emotions and should be protected from harm.

Part of the problem with fireworks is the randomness. If they were limited solely to one night of Diwali, Bonfire Night and New Year's Eve, then pet owners could prepare and avoid. However, from November right through to Feb, you never know when someone is going to have an impromptu back garden display.

Aren’t pets similarly self indulgent?

It is the bangs which scare animals (and small children).

In my view fireworks should be restricted to those without bangs, as I believe is the case in some other countries.

Or if not, restricted to public displays only, and only on a few days per year (eg NYE, Diwali, 5 November) so people can at least keep domesticated animals inside if possible.

There is also the safety issue eg rockets still alight falling on people, and kids chucking fireworks about.

About 18 years ago we went to an event at Crystal Palace, a celebration of something or other, with Capital Radio there. There was classical music, acrobatic dancers on a crane, all to the backdrop of some wonderful artistic fireworks..... without the bangs. So it can be done.

Something not mentioned yet - this year I’ve personally seen an increase in the use of individual fireworks being aimed at people and set off in the streets during the daytime. This is both around East Dulwich but also further afield, eg in busy areas of Waterloo.

I’m open to fireworks at organised events, but not sure why private sales are so essential when they're so easily misused…

Something not mentioned yet - this year I’ve personally seen an increase in the use of individual fireworks being aimed at people and set off in the streets during the daytime. This is both around East Dulwich but also further afield, eg in busy areas of Waterloo.

I’m open to fireworks at organised events, but not sure why private sales are so essential when they're so easily misused…

Absolutely agree with you. There also used to be an age limit for purchasing, so how school kids are getting their hands on them I don't know...